Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

9 minutes ago, mysteriousoozlefinch said:

Neither are very good quality.  First is the regimental commander of the 107th, Col. Harry Disston, wearing a patch roughly the right shape.

Daily_News_Fri__Jun_4__1954_.jpg.268c8b77a3830b7d871156d1fe8c850d.jpg

New York Daily News 6/4/54 via Newspapers.com

Second is a marching group from 1948.  Also pretty indistinct but closer up looks like it could be the right shape.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_9__1948_.jpg.57e5b9b3918031cf8cb72f1255b15260.jpg

2132700973_107thCloseup.png.a517365e96d2667fae48d26391e5aade.png

New York Daily News 8/9/48 via Newspapers.com

Wow, there's been talk that this 107th patch might not of ever been worn, like the 111th RCT.

OCS candidates wearing the Artillery And Missile School SSI. The tabs worn on the eppaulettes apparently identified the top two graduates from the class.

Artillery And Missile School.OCS.Leadership Tabs.jpg

Artillery And Missile School.SSI.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Ranger-1972 said:

The brigadier general on the far right on the reviewing stand appears to be BG Robert S. Abernathy, Commanding General of the Hawaiian Separate Coast Artillery Brigade. Any idea who the officer is between him and MG Drum?  In 1935-36, the 11th Artillery Brigade of the Hawaiian Division was commanded by a colonel (in the 1920s, it had been commanded by a BG).

Correction to my previous transmission. Unlikely that the CG of the Hawaiian Separate Coast Artillery Brigade would be wearing the SSI of the Hawaiian Division (and the SSI for that Separate CA Bde was not authorized until 1936 - shown below). The two general officers to the right of the reviewing stand may be the commanders of the 21st and 22nd Infantry Brigades within the Hawaiian Division.

BG Louis M. Nuttman commanded the 22nd Inf Bde from 1934-37 (photo below shows him wearing the 4th Division SSI when he was CO of the 18th Inf Bde from 1937-38).

I've not found the name of the CO of the 21st Inf Bde in 1935.

Hawaiian Coast Artillery Brigade SSI (1936).jpg

BG Louis Meredith Nuttman, CO 22nd Inf Bde (1934-37).jpg

Interesting to observe that, although all four of these generals were combat veterans of the First World War, none of them are wearing the overseas chevrons on their lower left sleeves.

Also interesting to note that the CO, 22nd Inf Bde is "under arms" (e.g., wearing his saber), but the CO of the division is not wearing his.  Just goes to show that "uniformity" was not very much enforced during the interwar years.

Went through the list of all the brigadier generals in the U.S. Army shown in the 1935 Army Register without discovering anyone who as commander of the 21st Infantry Brigade in the Hawaiian Division.

Did, however, discover that BG Thomas E. Merrill was the commander of the 11th Field Artillery Brigade in the Hawaiian Division from 1934-1937 (per the Field Artillery Journal and his biography), the same years that BG Nuttman was commanding the 22nd Infantry Brigade in Hawaii.  The officer second from the right on the reviewing stand might be BG Merrill.

BG Thomas E. Merrill, CO 11th FA Bde (1934-37).jpg

mysteriousoozlefinch

The_Leaf_Chronicle_Sun__Dec_29__1968_.jpg.45d535f636ad2539ef515f519f99f126.jpg

Lt. Col. William Albright wearing the 25th ID as a combat patch and SFC Darrell Harper wearing the 3rd Army SSI in December 1968.  CO and member of Service Battery, 6th Battalion, 1st Artillery, Combat Arms Group.  This unit replaced the 6th ID with five understrength infantry battalions and the single artillery battalion.

The_Leaf_Chronicle_Fri__Oct_18__1968_.jpg.485444c7df458a44af3f3844bd72b426.jpg

Men of HHC, 5th Battalion, 1st Infantry, Combat Arms Group at For Campbell, KY wearing the 3rd Army SSI.  October 1968.  Far left 1st Lt. Joseph Mancuso wears an 8th ID SSI as a combat patch.

Both from the Leaf-Chronicle of Clarksville, TN.

56 minutes ago, mysteriousoozlefinch said:

The_Leaf_Chronicle_Sun__Dec_29__1968_.jpg.45d535f636ad2539ef515f519f99f126.jpg

Lt. Col. William Albright wearing the 25th ID as a combat patch and SFC Darrell Harper wearing the 3rd Army SSI in December 1968.  CO and member of Service Battery, 6th Battalion, 1st Artillery, Combat Arms Group.  This unit replaced the 6th ID with five understrength infantry battalions and the single artillery battalion.

The_Leaf_Chronicle_Fri__Oct_18__1968_.jpg.485444c7df458a44af3f3844bd72b426.jpg

Men of HHC, 5th Battalion, 1st Infantry, Combat Arms Group at For Campbell, KY wearing the 3rd Army SSI.  October 1968.  Far left 1st Lt. Joseph Mancuso wears an 9th ID SSI as a combat patch.

Both from the Leaf-Chronicle of Clarksville, TN.

That's a great piece of Info Ozzle, we weren't aware that elements of the inactivated 6th Infantry Divisiojn at Campbell would of been retained, we assumed they were simply inactivated along with the division with its people transferred to other Infantry TO&E CONUS units, to wit, the 1st and 2nd Armored Divisions at Hood, the 5th Infantry Division at Carson, the 197th Infantry Brigade (Sep) at Benning and the 194th Armored Brigade (Sep) at Knox. We gather these battalions from Combat Arms Group were inactivated themselves in the Vietnam draw down, like in 69-70-71.

Surprised Stanton makes no mention of this in his Vietnam Order of Battle there is an entire chapter devoted to CONUS units and Units stationed Army Wide as of June 1968, figured he might of found this on the Combat Arms Group and added that as a Footnote.

Makes me wonder what became of the unit of the 6th Infantry Division at Schofield Barracks Hawaii now, the 4th Brigade 6th Infantry Division, if these units were retained for a bit?, if so, possibly under U.S. Army Pacific?

Here's mention of the Combat Arms Group from an excerpt from a 1969 Campbell Basic Training Yearbook (Campbell ran BCT Cycles under 3rd Army  from 1966 to I think sometime in 1970).

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE FOR VIEW.

t1kpture.v1.jpg

mysteriousoozlefinch

I think I first saw mention of the Combat Arms Group here, actually!  It was [i]massively[/i] understrength for what was practically a brigade on paper (1,281 for six battalions at stand-down).  There's a unit history at NARA that's been on my list of things to read that, according to a history of Fort Campbell, states the unit was to be used for assisting with training and holding returnees from Vietnam waiting expiration of enlistments with a secondary mission of aiding in case of civil unrest.  The remaining units at Campbell were 4/1st, 5/1st, and 6/1st Infantry; 5/3rd Infantry, and 6/1st Artillery.  They were stood down in July 1969.

mysteriousoozlefinch

Since I took too long to look it up, all the 4th Brigade units were disbanded in July 1968.  Most of the men that could were transferred to the 29th Infantry Brigade, those that couldn't be to other commands in Hawaii and the Pacific.

11 hours ago, mysteriousoozlefinch said:

Since I took too long to look it up, all the 4th Brigade units were disbanded in July 1968.  Most of the men that could were transferred to the 29th Infantry Brigade, those that couldn't be to other commands in Hawaii and the Pacific.

Yes that would make sense since the 29th Inf Bde (Sep) was federalized in May and was moved to Schofield, the 29th Inf Bde (Sep) will make good photos finds 587461202_emoticonsmile.png.793729bc59c683b9dc7ca6561ca34a82.png

mysteriousoozlefinch
2 hours ago, patches said:

Yes that would make sense since the 29th Inf Bde (Sep) was federalized in May and was moved to Schofield, the 29th Inf Bde (Sep) will make good photos finds 587461202_emoticonsmile.png.793729bc59c683b9dc7ca6561ca34a82.png

I haven't seen any with the SSI worn, but did find a couple interesting articles on their old and new brigade patches.  Plus a lot of articles about Guardsmen complaining the Army had disbanded a regular brigade while calling them (plus 100th Bn, 442nd Infantry) to active duty. I had never seen their earlier one, what the second and third articles call the "Puloulou" patch.

The_Honolulu_Advertiser_Fri__Jun_14__1968_.jpg.b2beb6b5da774474b58a88b017e30d36.jpg

799631536_The_Honolulu_Advertiser_Wed__Jun_8__1966_(1).jpg.288b584d6d3b3b97fa5a44de166971fc.jpg

Honolulu_Star_Bulletin_Mon__May_9__1966_.jpg.83560f07dbbc9f8a391682e24c15cf24.jpg

And the Kamehameha head patch on SSG William Range, HHC, 2/299th Infantry in June 1965.

Hawaii_Tribune_Herald_Wed__Jun_23__1965_.jpg.9a71bcfdad9f422d76c173bbf1b25ac7.jpg

Here's a great find, a "Novelty" Cav patch of the Original In Country Variety, HARD CORE seems simply embroidered (Yellow Thread?) on the Black Diagonal Bar of a U.S. Made Machine Embroidered 1st Cav Div patch on "Twill". Photo from sometime in 1967.

436.jpg

yy.png

On 12/2/2020 at 10:11 PM, patches said:

Here's a great find, a "Novelty" Cav patch of the Original In Country Variety, HARD CORE seems simply embroidered (Yellow Thread?) on the Black Diagonal Bar of a U.S. Made Machine Embroidered 1st Cav Div patch on "Twill". Photo from sometime in 1967.

436.jpg

yy.png

This at least suggests that some of those similar patches that I have always heard were just novelty patches made for collectors or worn only on party jackets were sometimes actually worn in the field with some tolerance by local commanders.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea about these. The pocket patch appears to have the initials USARP or USAAP and possibly a map of the Arctic region. U.S. Arctic Research Project perhaps?

Unknown.Arctic.png

Salvage Sailor
12 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

I have no idea about these. The pocket patch appears to have the initials USARP or USAAP and possibly a map of the Arctic region. U.S. Arctic Research Project perhaps?

Unknown.Arctic.png

Not the North Pole, it's the South Pole - Antarctic - Operation Deep Freeze

United States Antarctic Research Program (USARP), formed in 1959.  Despite the Captains obvious US ARMY tape, he's also wearing a USN Puckered Penguins patch on his left shoulder (VXE-6) ANTARCTIC DEVRON SIX

USARP.jpg

VXE 6.jpg

easterneagle87

I love that shot! A true Cold War shot of awesomeness of patches worn. You wouldn’t even see the Army wearing that stuff today! Awesome

Generals George Kenney and Curtis Le May, former and current commanders of Strategic Air Command, in 1949. Note General Le May is wearing the Army Air Forces SSI with a STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND tab.

Army Air Forces.Strategic Air Command Tab.George Kenney & Curtis Le May.1.jpg

Army Air Forces.Strategic Air Command Tab.George Kenney & Curtis Le May.2.jpg