Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

seanmc1114

82nd Division early 1942 at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana before being redesignated as the 82nd Airborne Division in August 1942. 

EE3FCD81-4D6F-4D03-B257-6A2739142A65.jpeg

4 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

82nd Division early 1942 at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana before being redesignated as the 82nd Airborne Division in August 1942. 

EE3FCD81-4D6F-4D03-B257-6A2739142A65.jpeg

Fantastic!!

easterneagle87

Saw this on ebay and hope it hadn't been posted before, US officer getting a medal from the French officer who is  ..  wearing a 12th US Army Group patch .. at the end of the war. 

French 12th Army Grp.jpg

11 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

Saw this on ebay and hope it hadn't been posted before, US officer getting a medal from the French officer who is  ..  wearing a 12th US Army Group patch .. at the end of the war. 

French 12th Army Grp.jpg

Wow what a great photo, I would guess he's thee or one thee Free French Liaison Officers at 12th Army Group, would like to see him IDed somehow.

easterneagle87
3 hours ago, patches said:

Wow what a great photo, I would guess he's thee or one thee Free French Liaison Officers at 12th Army Group, would like to see him IDed somehow.

Here's the pic of the stamp on the back. It's for sale now, item # 324046657065

French 12th Army Grp 2.jpg

A World War I soldier wearing the SSI of both the 79th Infantry Divisions and 30th Infantry Division, and yes the 30th SSI is being worn correctly for the time period. But why would he be wearing both?

World War I.79th Division.30th Division.jpg

14 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

Here's the pic of the stamp on the back. It's for sale now, item # 324046657065

French 12th Army Grp 2.jpg

Hello,

If I read correctly, this officer is Colonel Lebel who was the liaison officer of General De Gaulle at the 12th Army group, he was already at this assignment in august 44. It was besides him who received the emissary of the French resistance who had crossed the lines to join the troops of General Patton to ask the allies to liberate Paris because the resistance fighters had revolted.(He is also portreyed in the film about the liberation of Paris " Is Paris Burning?" in 1966)

8 hours ago, Powerhouse said:

Hello,

If I read correctly, this officer is Colonel Lebel who was the liaison officer of General De Gaulle at the 12th Army group, he was already at this assignment in august 44. It was besides him who received the emissary of the French resistance who had crossed the lines to join the troops of General Patton to ask the allies to liberate Paris because the resistance fighters had revolted.(He is also portreyed in the film about the liberation of Paris " Is Paris Burning?" in 1966)

Thank you.

oij.jpg.e2faa4d0348183201bd7517f24290e1e.jpg

A 16th Corps sighting on one 1st Lt Rodger J Bartholomew Artillery,  he's an Aviator after a point and photo is from around 1960, Bartholomew is RA at this time, so seeing as these Corps controlled Reserve units in those days, Bartholomew is probably a VIP Hack pilot at the Corps HQ, the commander, staff and HQ Companies of these Administration Corps were RA, or he's a pilot in the Corps' Aviation Detachment which probably was RA. By the end of 1968 Bartholomew. is a LTC and commander of the 4th Battalion 77th Artillery (Aerial Rocket) at Fort Sill Oklahoma, activated 1 September 1968 , it's sent over Vietnam 17 October 1968 and assigned as an extra aviation unit to the 101st Airborne Division, Bartholomew and three other men of the Battalion HHB are killed when their HUEY is shot down on November 27 1968, the very first fatalities suffered by the battalion in the war.

92nd Infantry Division from World War II. The soldier in the first photo is wearing some kind of scroll over his SSI.

92nd Infantry Division.3.jpg

92nd Infantry Division.4.jpg