Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

Here's a soldier of the 8th Infantry Division wearing the DUI's of the 82rd Field Artillery. Nothing unusual about the 8th SSI, but what is fairly rare is that his only ribbon is for the Humanitarian Service Medal. The HSM is not necessarily super rare, but the lack of any other ribbons on this soldier's uniform dates this between 1974 (the cutoff date for the National Defense Service Medal) and 1981 (the initiation date for the Army Service Ribbon). His service information says he served from 1979 to 1995.

post-1761-0-31909400-1572902785_thumb.jpg

Here's a soldier of the 1st Cavalry Division wearing jump wings on an oval and the Airborne insignia on his overseas cap. I can't make out his branch insignia, but I assume the shoulder cord and bib are Infantry blue. What's interesting is that the buildings and mountains in the background make me think this was taken in Korea which would be before the 1st Cav was reflagged at Fort Benning in 1965. If so, wouldn't the wearing of the oval with his wings indicate he was on jump status? What units of the 1st Cav were airborne during its time in Korea?

post-1761-0-64768100-1572903126_thumb.jpg

This first sergeant appears to be wearing the DUI's of the 4th Infantry Regiment with his Seventh Army SSI and Infantry shoulder cord and discs. The 1st Battalion 4th Infantry has served as an OPFOR unit with the Seventh Army in Germany since 1990. The interesting thing is that the DUI's appear to be metal rather than cloth loops which is the only style I have ever seen for the 4th Infantry.

post-1761-0-71474100-1572903626_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-43162800-1572903638.png

WW! Big Red One. Reversed negative developement as the the ONE is backwards.

Nope. They were made backwards. Photo not reversed - his ribbon is on the correct (left) side.

Here's a soldier of the 1st Cavalry Division wearing jump wings on an oval and the Airborne insignia on his overseas cap. I can't make out his branch insignia, but I assume the shoulder cord and bib are Infantry blue. What's interesting is that the buildings and mountains in the background make me think this was taken in Korea which would be before the 1st Cav was reflagged at Fort Benning in 1965. If so, wouldn't the wearing of the oval with his wings indicate he was on jump status? What units of the 1st Cav were airborne during its time in Korea?

And he's wearing a French or Belgian Rope too, No Cav Inf units have that. For the pre Vietnam Cav, the only guess would be the 1st Sq 9th Cav, but that's no good, because the 1/9 Cav in South Korea was not an Air Cavalry unit yet, it was still ground reconnaissance. Maybe another case of transferred GI wearing insignia from his old unit, in this case either the 82nd or 101? note too no NDSM ribbon, indicating a early 60s photo.

post-1761-0-64768100-1572903126.jpg

This first sergeant appears to be wearing the DUI's of the 4th Infantry Regiment with his Seventh Army SSI and Infantry shoulder cord and discs. The 1st Battalion 4th Infantry has served as an OPFOR unit with the Seventh Army in Germany since 1990. The interesting thing is that the DUI's appear to be metal rather than cloth loops which is the only style I have ever seen for the 4th Infantry.

Believe the metal DI they wear now are a very recent trend, seen Black Berets and their flashes with this on.

Here's a soldier of the 8th Infantry Division wearing the DUI's of the 82rd Field Artillery. Nothing unusual about the 8th SSI, but what is fairly rare is that his only ribbon is for the Humanitarian Service Medal. The HSM is not necessarily super rare, but the lack of any other ribbons on this soldier's uniform dates this between 1974 (the cutoff date for the National Defense Service Medal) and 1981 (the initiation date for the Army Service Ribbon). His service information says he served from 1979 to 1995.

May have guarded the Cuban Refugees from the Muriel Boat Lift

When I was with 1-4 we wore the cloth style. this was early 00's.

Later I was assigned to 2-4 when it was part of 4thBDE 10th Mountain Division, we only wore the metal ones.

When I was with 1-4 we wore the cloth style. this was early 00's.

Later I was assigned to 2-4 when it was part of 4thBDE 10th Mountain Division, we only wore the metal ones.

Here's the 1/4 Inf's CSM with the cloth one on the beret in the OPFOR field uniform and other EMs at least, with these, Gold colored ranks are evidently worn

original.jpgoriginal.jpg

Here's the 1/4 Inf's CSM with the cloth one on the beret in the OPFOR field uniform and other EMs at least, with these, Gold colored ranks are evidently worn

original.jpgoriginal.jpg

And one at Ft Polk with the 2/4 Inf where the Metal version is used, strange though that the portrait of the Pre ASU GI in AG's of the 1/4 Inf is wearing the metal version right, figured it would be cloth.

61277580_2260504600683374_16615885904396

easterneagle87

Nope. They were made backwards. Photo not reversed - his ribbon is on the correct (left) side.

Huh! You are so right! I was focused on the "backwards" and not the entire set up. Good catch and thanks for the correction!

Approved Humanitarian Service Medal Operations for that time frame.

post-113673-0-76837300-1573003925_thumb.jpg

Approved Humanitarian Service Medal Operations for that time frame.

Page two for Approved Humanitarian Service Medal Operations for that time frame.

post-113673-0-09794400-1573004230.jpg

original.jpgoriginal.jpg

Correct, all enlisted wear the gold dress pin on rank on their beret over the flash.

1-4 has changed their uniforms. It was black BDU's with no flag, looks like they have changed to black ACU pattern uniforms with the flag.

Wish we had a date on the original picture posted.

Ordnance Corps NCO wearing the 1st Infantry Division SSI and DUI of the 16th Infantry in the early to mid-70's. Note he is also wearing the French fourragère aux couleurs du ruban de la médaille militaire.

post-1761-0-61476500-1573220343.jpg

That Ordnance NCO and the 8 ID soldier are from no earlier than around 1981(?). Note their green shirts. And, the one guy has pin on bright chevron's on his shirt collar. That was how it was done before shoulder marks we're introduced.

That Ordnance NCO and the 8 ID soldier are from no earlier than around 1981(?). Note their green shirts. And, the one guy has pin on bright chevron's on his shirt collar. That was how it was done before shoulder marks we're introduced.

+1 before the summer of 1981 when those two new ribbons came out, we were told to get them around July 81 up in Alaska.

• 2 weeks later...

A fantastically period portrait of a Female Sarge of the 1st Division in 1978 right after the WACs were disestablished, cause she's wearing the Intelligence Corps Collar disc.

post-34986-0-09131500-1573964850_thumb.jpg

A fantastically period portrait of a Female Sarge of the 1st Division in 1978 right after the WACs were disestablished, cause she's wearing the Intelligence Corps Collar disc.

attachicon.gif1264_o.jpg

Amazing picture, so 80’s looking. LoL!

Ben Harrell wearing the SSI of the Infantry School as a lieutenant general. To my knowledge, the commander of the Infantry School has always been a major general. General Harrell served as Commander of Fort Benning and Commandant of the Infantry School from August 1961 ro February 1963. His next assignment was at the Pentagon as Assistant Chief of Staff for Force Development. These photos may have been taken after his transfer and promotion but before he removed his Infantry School SSI.

post-1761-0-94447600-1574359672.jpg

post-1761-0-11663900-1574359685_thumb.jpg