Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

This is an odd one. The soldier is wearing the 3rd Infantry Division SSI but appears to be wearing the DUI of the 37th Armored Regiment. The only reference I can find to a unit of the 37th Armor serving with the 3rd Division is the 2nd Battalion from 1992 to 1996.

Also note that he is wearing a Presidential Unit Citation incorrectly above his left breast pocket and a shooting badge (Sharpshooter or Marksman) on his right pocket flap. The photo is not reversed.

post-1761-0-47453600-1544471916_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-69892000-1544471929.png

This is an odd one. The soldier is wearing the 3rd Infantry Division SSI but appears to be wearing the DUI of the 37th Armored Regiment. The only reference I can find to a unit of the 37th Armor serving with the 3rd Division is the 2nd Battalion from 1992 to 1996.

Also note that he is wearing a Presidential Unit Citation incorrectly above his left breast pocket and a shooting badge (Sharpshooter or Marksman) on his right pocket flap. The photo is not reversed.

Possibly taken at Knox while going through training. 4th battalion supported the armor school in the 1970s. The soldier may have already received his orders for 3rd ID and had sewn on his SSI.

Possibly taken at Knox while going through training. 4th battalion supported the armor school in the 1970s. The soldier may have already received his orders for 3rd ID and had sewn on his SSI.

The photo is from the early 60's.

The photo is from the early 60's.

Ok, Knox still may work. I found another timeline that shows 4th Bn was assigned there beginning in 1961. Hope you find the answer!

That's Minnesota's STARC/84th Troop Command DUI I think.

Good call. The 55th Civil Support Team (Weapons Of Mass Destruction) is assigned to the 84th Troop Command.

post-1761-0-27879100-1544535597.jpg

mysteriousoozlefinch

Ok, Knox still may work. I found another timeline that shows 4th Bn was assigned there beginning in 1961. Hope you find the answer!

Meant to comment on that as well; Aumiller does have the 4/37th at Fort Knox from 1958 to 1968.

mysteriousoozlefinch

Selection of early 1980s photos.

PuNStV4.jpg

1st Lt. Timothy Mitchell, 80th Maneuver Area Command

0PGYsfC.jpg

70th Division (Training) HF/VHF training.

CHdQeQf.jpg

90th ARCOM

pHPgEA8.jpg

103rd Corps Support Command

5vcyoys.jpg

108th Division (Training)

boNlJep.jpg

122nd ARCOM

mysteriousoozlefinch

Part 2 'cause the board wouldn't let me put them all in one.

SipU5kn.jpg

343rd Medical Detachment (Air Ambulance), 124th ARCOM

KG5S48G.jpg

99th ARCOM worn by 238th Ordnance Company (Light Equipment Maintenance)

fBjXV3u.jpg

276th MP Platoon, 121st ARCOM

hVrI90W.jpg

300th MP Command (Prisoner of War)

zl2JPuE.jpg

Sgt. Therese Bush, 421st QM Company wears the 81st ARCOM patch with airborne tab after jump qualifying.

0kCp8jc.jpg

449th MP Company officer wearing 81st ARCOM patch with Ranger tab.

oUZu94g.jpg

100th Battalion, 442nd Infantry

TcglgLZ.jpg

81st ARCOM

MHUTvXd.jpg

Quartermaster School

mysteriousoozlefinch

To conform with administrative guidance for the forum I didn't notice until signing out: All of these images come from Army Reserve Magazine (the cover makes that pretty obvious I guess), issues from 1979 to 1984 in this batch. The magazine did not typically cite photographers in their captions, presumably they were Army Reserve or Department of the Army/DoD.

TcglgLZ.jpg

Wow I used to have this issue, got them mailed to me briefly during this time.

If you ever get your hands on one from this period, I forget which one, there is a small article on a WWII Combat Infantryman Vet still serving in the Army, a 100th Infantry Division vet, serving then with the 77th ARCOM in NYC, he was Jewish, and a Chief Warrant Officer then, he's foted at his desk in the new BDUs and has a Century Division combat patch sewn on, that's one for the Uncommon Combat patch topic you can post :D .

mysteriousoozlefinch

I'd actually just seen that article, announcing his retirement. It may not be the same article.

K2ZPXbP.jpg

nivPNDm.png

Ammended: An earlier photo with 100th Infantry Division combat patch and CIB from the issue of the 77th Reserve Officer Association newsletter dedicated to CW4 Goldman after his death in 2003: http://77thinfdivroa.org/memorials/LibertyTorch.April2003.pdf

I'd actually just seen that article, announcing his retirement. It may not be the same article.

K2ZPXbP.jpg

nivPNDm.png

Ammended: An earlier photo with 100th Infantry Division combat patch and CIB from the issue of the 77th Reserve Officer Association newsletter dedicated to CW4 Goldman after his death in 2003: http://77thinfdivroa.org/memorials/LibertyTorch.April2003.pdf

That's the one.

One of my favorite pictures in my collection. The young man sure has been in some action with three combat stars. Returned home safe and sound to his family

post-177166-0-85218800-1545182566.jpeg

Photo of 1st City Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry patch being worn on a field uniform above the 28th Division Patch. 1st City Troop is part of the 1/104th Cav, PAARNG.

post-88120-0-00147500-1545949196_thumb.jpeg

25th Infantry Division with gold on black AIRBORNE tab. That is not an unusual configuration for a current soldier since the 4th Brigade 25th Infantry Division has been airborne since 2005. However, this photo was taken pre-Vietnam War. The soldier is Robert Richard Litwin who was killed in action in Vietnam on June 22, 1967 with the 173rd Airborne Brigade, so this picture pre-dates that assignment and is probably from 1964 or before since he is not wearing the National Defense Service Medal ribbon. What airborne elements did the 25th have in the 50's or early 60's?

http://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/30903/ROBERT-R-LITWIN

post-1761-0-48521900-1546632316.jpg