Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

attachicon.gif6a71650women.jpg

A WAC at Long Binh in 1968 wearing a U.S, Army Vietnam patch fob, no idea how it is attached, perhaps a button sewn under the collar. Note the other one, see how high her ranks are sewn on the sleeve.

I would bet it is secured by one the clasps on her CB collar insignia.

I would bet it is secured by one the clasps on her CB collar insignia.

I thought that too at first, but I'm thinking the leather or leatherette fob even molded plastic will be way to thick to do that, the clutch simply would not hold fast. probably a tiny uniform button.

Military District Of Washington. I believe this is the first time I have seen an enlisted man wearing the Joint Chiefs Of Staff Identification Badge.

post-1761-0-03498800-1499862886_thumb.jpg

Military District Of Washington. I believe this is the first time I have seen an enlisted man wearing the Joint Chiefs Of Staff Identification Badge.

Not unusual. I received mine in 1989. Enlisted personnel have received them for quite some time, I believe. The qualifications are the same for all assigned to the Joint Staff.

Not unusual. I received mine in 1989. Enlisted personnel have received them for quite some time, I believe. The qualifications are the same for all assigned to the Joint Staff.

I wasn't suggesting it was necessarily unusual, just that I don't remember ever seeing it before. Did you qualify to wear yours permanently? If so, I would imagine that got some nice second looks at later duty stations.

After a year assigned, it became permanent. It was my last assignment before retiring from the Army.

Don't feel like GOOGLE-ING around atb :lol:

But was/is there a subdued version, cloth or metal for wear on the Fatiques/BDU/ACU? with this leading to if it was allowed to be worn on these uniforms like say the Recruiter Badge etc.

Don't feel like GOOGLE-ING around atb :lol:

But was/is there a subdued version, cloth or metal for wear on the Fatiques/BDU/ACU? with this leading to if it was allowed to be worn on these uniforms like say the Recruiter Badge etc.

No subdued versions. A large one for the Class A or Dress coat and a smaller one for wear in Class B's.

• 2 weeks later...

Since July 24 1944 this salute, the Deutsches Gruss was in essence the official military salute throughout all branches of the German Armed Forces, it officially replacing the traditional hand salute, though a lot of surrendering troops used the old one, a lot used the new one. Not sure how it flew with the Russians, I guess they didn't care one way or another.

Is that a German photographer in the background? Funny if we're seeing the Germans document their own surrender.

CCT's would wear the patch of the Army unit they were assigned to.I remember seeing them with 5th Infantry Div patches when I was stationed at England AFB, La. Great pic BTW.

Hard to believe that this Airman is part of a CCT supporting the patch unit. I hypothesize that he is assigned to a Army hospital, and supporting the CCT just for the tactical exercise. I don't know the medical establishments in Panama at this time, for instance if Howard AFB had its own AF hospital or was under an Army establishment on the other side of the canal on the Army bases. Gorgas?

CCT's would wear the patch of the Army unit they were assigned to.I remember seeing them with 5th Infantry Div patches when I was stationed at England AFB, La. Great pic BTW.

Hard to believe that this Airman is part of a CCT supporting the patch unit. I hypothesize that he is assigned to a Army hospital, and supporting the CCT just for the tactical exercise. I don't know the medical establishments in Panama at this time, for instance if Howard AFB had its own AF hospital or was under an Army establishment on the other side of the canal on the Army bases. Gorgas?

Is that a German photographer in the background? Funny if we're seeing the Germans document their own surrender.

Looks like a German Navy Officer yeah. No idea though if in fact he's filming or photoing them, he could be just rubbing his face or something.

post-34986-0-28066400-1465317356.jpg

post-34986-0-02839300-1501555124_thumb.jpg

A real interesting one, a USAF FAC officer, either a Major or a Lieutenant Colonel working for the 7th Infantry Division The ROK, late 1968. We see not only the new subdued patch for the 7th Div on his GI OG Wool Shirt there (with subdued black tapes and wings, but with full color metal or cloth ranks), but also the choice of wearing his AF Blue dress cap rather then a soft cap.

Full color Americal Division SSI and plastic encased 198th Infantry Brigade SSI worn on a first pattern jungle jacket by an officer in Vietnam.

post-1761-0-52115200-1501620981_thumb.jpg

post-34986-0-68573800-1502247260.jpgpost-34986-0-60029400-1502247373.jpg

The Headquarters Kansas National Guard patch on one Charles W. Malone, Malone a Kansas NG Ordnance Corps Officer apparently transferred to active duty during the Vietnam War, and Died in Service in the RVN from Other Causes. Given his age at the time (born Feb 1925), he more than likely was in WWII too, most likely as an Enlistedman.

http://www.virtualwall.org/dm/MaloneCW01a.htm

It's a little hard to make out since these are screenshots from a 1950s film, but these two pictures show the SSI of the Military Assistance Advisory Group, Cambodia being worn.

post-1761-0-08757100-1502373336_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-83020400-1502373349_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-88809800-1502373362.jpg