Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

I think it is a trick of the light that makes it look yellow. The one worn by the other soldier looks different. I'm pretty sure that it is a multicam color (I don't know the official Army color) version of the 1st CAV SSI.

I think it is a trick of the light that makes it look yellow. The one worn by the other soldier looks different. I'm pretty sure that it is a multicam color (I don't know the official Army color) version of the 1st CAV SSI.

I seeing Yellow atb, can't account why full color one's would be worn in combat. But here's several photos of today Cav's Multi Cam patches in action, and they're more akin to the old OD types we used to wear back in the day, note too the Aussie Soldier in one photo, wearing not only a Cav combat patch but a ADU Cav badge on his Bush Hat.

post-34986-0-43007800-1479667633.jpgpost-34986-0-96445400-1479667745.jpgpost-34986-0-26064300-1479667761_thumb.jpgpost-34986-0-19746200-1479667776.jpg

Not an SSI but still a good reference pic. California Military Academy (CMA) being worn on the pocket. Worn by a well known actor who was a member of the CANG from 1967 -1973.

post-1604-0-45141900-1479685766.jpg

The" Multi cam" subdued patch official colors are Bagby Green, Black and Brown

Yup, just look at the color of the shooter's boot, and the wrap on the stock of the rifle in the foreground.

Yup, just look at the color of the shooter's boot, and the wrap on the stock of the rifle in the foreground.

That's quite a trick of light, I did try and find images of 1st Cav Div GIs with full color Cav patches n Multi Cams, but seen nothing, so I guess so, light distortion.

The XVIII Airborne Corps SSI is not particularly rare but notice the soldier is wearing two U.S. collar discs and no nameplate and the posing of the photo makes it look like he is a basic trainee who wouldn't normally wear a SSI.

post-1761-0-81421800-1480118242_thumb.jpg

Click and Click again on image for enlarged view

post-34986-0-35522700-1480994153_thumb.jpg

And another 1960s Recruiting Command patch sighting, this, an article from the November 1965 issue of Army information Digest. Once we see no Army tab worn, why! Perhaps these NCO like the one in the earlier post are from the HQ of the command???

Soldiers of the 326th Engineer Battalion of the 101st Airborne Division at Khe Sahn, probably around 1970 or 1971. Note the soldier on the left is wearing a field jacket with a 101st SSI, a couple of the others are wearing knit shirts and one is wearing a rain jacket as it could get very wet and cold in northern South Vietnam. It looks like they are sitting around a fire to keep warm.

post-1761-0-80776200-1481210241_thumb.jpg

post-34986-0-28826900-1481257319.jpg

A Korean War era 123rd FA Bn, 44th Inf Div guy, probably Cadre, the 44th Inf Div post WW2 was allotted to the Illinois National Guard (in the 20s-30s early 40s, it was of the New York and New Jersey NG) and became a Training Division when it was federalized, like all NG Divisions federalized, the majority it's original people sent of as replacements Army wide, mostly to Japan and then on to Korea.

Soldiers of the 326th Engineer Battalion of the 101st Airborne Division at Khe Sahn, probably around 1970 or 1971. Note the soldier on the left is wearing a field jacket with a 101st SSI, a couple of the others are wearing knit shirts and one is wearing a rain jacket as it could get very wet and cold in northern South Vietnam. It looks like they are sitting around a fire to keep warm.

This will be from February 1971, Lam Son 719, in support, elmts of the 101st Abn Div (AMBL) and 1st Bde 5th Inf Bde (M) reoccupies the old Khe Sahn base

98 pages already! This has become a vast thread. Allmost to the point where is a bit to much to function as a reference thing. For example I belief there must be some examples of double patches some where and they might have been posted by me. I think I remember a small explanation followed about the reason and function of doulble SSI patches. Something like moving from one division to the other, could someone enlighten me (again) up on that fenomenon?

98 pages already! This has become a vast thread. Allmost to the point where is a bit to much to function as a reference thing. For example I belief there must be some examples of double patches some where and they might have been posted by me. I think I remember a small explanation followed about the reason and function of doulble SSI patches. Something like moving from one division to the other, could someone enlighten me (again) up on that fenomenon?

Double patches, if you mean the same units shoulder patch is on on both shoulders, then this means the soldier served in combat with a certain division, and later finds himself in the same unit again down the line.

Two examples of quite a few that have been posted around in various forums by other members and myself.

In peacetime

post-34986-0-31241200-1361680414.jpg

Master Sergeant Wallace E.Stump,Acting First Sergeant Co B 2nd Battle Group 9th Infantry, 2nd Infantry Division, Fort Benning Georgia 1959. Here Stump served in either WWII or the Korean Conflict in the 2nd Infantry Division, in 1959 he's once again assigned to his old unit, and decids to wear this patch as his combat patch.

In wartime

post-34986-0-75560700-1481588559.jpg

A GI of the 1st Cavalry Division, in this example we see the one on the left with a 1st Cav Div combat patch on, he is currently serving in the Cav, so he must of served a earlier tour in the Cav and returned to Vietnam where he once again is serving n the Cav. This photo I believe is from late 1967 or maybe early 1968, then this GI would have served in the Cav 1965-66 on that first tour.

Sorry Patches, for not making myself clear. I wasn't aware of the possibility to have the same SSI twise om a uniform.

So what I did mean is two different patches during WW2 of two different armored divisions for example.