Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

firefighter

Member of the U.S. Army Trial Defense Service wearing the old Army Service Forces/DA Staff Support/DA Field Operating Agencies SSI with AIrborne tab. This insignia was worn by personnel of the Trial Defense Service from 1980 to 2005 when their current SSI was approved.

Anyone have any idea which sub-unit was authorized the Airborne tab? The beret flash seems to be for either the 82nd AIrborne Division or possibly 1st Sustainment Command but I can't get a good view of the DUI. The office is also jump qualified and wearing a red beret.

Thats cool.I never even knew that patch was reauthorized/activated. I like how they incorporated the old design in to the new one.

firefighter

Unidentified airmen in Vietnam wearing the Special Forces SSI without the Airborne Tab

Do you know what unit they're from? Could be an honorary thing the SF guys gave them for support or part of a TACP, FAC, or other unit attached to a SF unit?

Do you know what unit they're from? Could be an honorary thing the SF guys gave them for support or part of a TACP, FAC, or other unit attached to a SF unit?

If the SSI was authorized for wear, it would have had the Airborne Tab.

If the SSI was authorized for wear, it would have had the Airborne Tab.

I wish I had noted the link where I found the photo, but I do know the men were either aircrew or ground crew assigned to a C-7A Caribou unit. The odds are they flew missions in and out of the many Special Forces camps located throughout Vietnam that had short runways that could only be accessed by planes like the Caribou. In fact, those are Caribou wings flanking each side of the picture, one with an airman laying on top of it.

The Pause That Refreshes! But apart from that, once again we see a full color Blanket Patch, but this time on a Grunt in Combat, with no rank insignia, could be a E-1. Date oh, lets say sometime in 1967, sub unit unknown.

post-34986-0-10974100-1470794320_thumb.jpg

post-34986-0-21130600-1470794512.jpg

The Iconic photo of that M60 Machine Gunner during the Battle of Dak To in November 1967 with the full color 173rd Abn Bde patch on, mentioned this one a few times in the past, but this is the first time I was able see and grab this one.

Battalion staff of the 1st Battalion 153rd Infantry of the Arkansas National Guard in 1977 wearing subdued 39th Infantry Brigade SSI as their unit of assignment and full color 101st Airborne Division SSI on their pockets representing either being a roundout brigade for the 101st or simply aligned with the 101st for training purposes.

post-1761-0-17079000-1470831315_thumb.jpg

post-34986-0-45558500-1471062260.jpg

A photo of one Sgt Carl Lively in Mid 1971, we see the full color was always worn in the 101 right up to the bitter end of it's involvement in Vietnam. Lively was a November 1970 NCOC School Grade, I think was in the 2/506th Inf not sure. He stayed in the Army for 20, leaving as a E-8 Top Kick in 1990.

Believe Lively is among those showcased in a book called The Shake n Bake Sergeant.

https://www.amazon.com/Shake-Bake-Sergeant-Infantry-Sergeants/dp/1453770275

Battalion staff of the 1st Battalion 153rd Infantry of the Arkansas National Guard in 1977 wearing subdued 39th Infantry Brigade SSI as their unit of assignment and full color 101st Airborne Division SSI on their pockets representing either being a roundout brigade for the 101st or simply aligned with the 101st for training purposes.

In this case I think "roundout" is the correct term!

post-34986-0-35218000-1471570055.jpg

Troops of the 321st GFAB with Young Abe, believe foto taken in 1943 at Ft Bragg North Carolina.

post-34986-0-90999500-1471570202_thumb.jpg

Here's one more view.

More on Young Abe, he didn't make it unfortunately.

https://books.google.com/books?id=4hQeDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=young+abe+eagle&source=bl&ots=JSfDEz6f9v&sig=Ae5gboe5Yv0B31cA8ELS94CdbD4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiK7t3GqszOAhVpKsAKHRrQAMI4ChDoAQgbMAA#v=onepage&q=young%20abe%20eagle&f=false

And here's Old Abe's story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Abe