Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

Florida National Guard

This is an interesting one, we see the DIs for the 124th Inf pre Scroll period, but this unit in the 1960s when this photo was surely taken was a componate of the 48th Armored Division, not HQ FLANG, plus there are no Blue distinctives. My WAG is this E-1 was one of those youngsters taken into the Guard, given that first session of intitial local issue of uniforms, pre training and indoctrination in his local NG unit, before being packed off to formal Basic and AIT, this was very common in the 50s and 60s, as per those NG magazines I have.

The reason he's not wearing the 48th Armd Div patch and wears the HQ FLANG patch with 124th Inf DIs? perhaps these recruits (in at least the FLANG no matter were the lived in Florida) fell under the direct command of the State HQ, with the only consession was that they were allowed to wear the future Unit crest, and the insignia of the branch they selected, though why not the 48th Armd Div patch? see reason for HQ FLANG control.

Things were different in the NG and USAR/ORC before the Reserve Enlistment Program of 1963 ("REP63"). BEFORE then a reservist enlistee could serve all of his obligated weekend warrior time (as little as two yrs, often three) WITHOUT attending REAL BCT or REAL AIT. The minimum training that was then customary was OJT with the unit and/or home area command structure, for both basic and tech tng.

From post-Korea (1955) to 1963, more and more enlistees were sent off for active-duty training tours, but wasn't much higher than 90% and 60% by 1963. Anyone enlisted once the law was in effect HAD to plan of going full-time, away from home for Basic an AIT. BUT from the start, only about 50% "went straight ticket", completing both in a single, long-stretch tour. Many were sent home after Basic and expected to do OJT in their tech MOS and EVENTUALLY return to active duty, perhaps multiple years later, to complete the relevant MOS course. Naturally, one could not get promoted past E-4 (or O-2) without the proper school... My Inf Officer Basic Course in late 1968 had about 12 NG/USAR 1LTs, all of whom had been waiting at least two years for school orders. Two from Alaska NG flew at personal expense to Ft Lewis, to better motivate the powers that be to cough up firm orders. One guy was a 40-yr old 1LT from NC, who had to graduate or lose his commission (and revert to SFC); he pinned on CPT bars right after getting his diploma. There were four from Hawaii NG, then already on extended active duty (29th Bde); they all left Benning as 1LTs, to get pinned back home.

Once the VN build-up hit, NG/USAR (EM and officer) often had to pester the Big Army for school slots. From 1965 to 1973, this was very common. Whereas there are almost always openings at the last minute from "no shows" at courses, a would-be student in for example NJ had to be packed and ready to get to, say, Ft Leonard Wood MO for an Eng MOS overnight. For jump school in 1972, a carload of MDARNG SF guys drove all night to report in to Benning for the start of the course the next morning.

The Floridian in the photo may have been an asset of the 124th Inf, but not actively drilling with the unit, instead in some sort of pre-BCT training at State level (Cp Blanding) (what was later called RTS Recruit Tng Schl).

@J-andrews, your final quote on pre BCT traning was exactly what I had in mind, thank's for adding the additional info. This practice must of been in use in 1980, when I was in OSUT at Benning there was a trainee in another Platoon in my Company right, towards, or nearing the end of our final AIT phase we were allowed to purchase shoulder patches for the units we were concretly assigned to, they were only two each, one for one fatique Shirt, and one to have sewn on to one of the Class A coats. Guys going to say West Germany I remember weren't really allowed to get patches as they were told they were to go to a main USAEUR Replacment Depot where they could be assigned to one of the many Divisions and Armd Cav units in Germany, so they just would not let them wear any old patch they decided they liked, a couple of West Germany bound guys wore 3rd Inf Div patches, but they were lightly reprimanded, and it was let go at that, seems someone told these two that EVERYBODY goes to the 3rd Div :lol:

At this time, the guy in question turns out was going back home as a National Guardsmen, Massachusetts, he was seen wearing the Yankee Division's well know YD patch, nothing out of the ordinary there, the YD patch, both color and subdued would be available at the Benning Main PX and of course the post Clothing Sales Store, what was out of the ordinary was that he was wearing a extra special subdued unit pocket patch, damned if i can remember what it actully looked like, it was NOT your standard unit pocket patch of days gone by, ie one based on the unit DI, but somekind of unit type award, kinda like in the vein of those Tanker/Mech Inf/Armd Cav Qualifcation Championship badges that were seen in the 70s. My conclusion was he underwent some intitial training with his chosen Guard unit right before he left for Basic, and was given this patch to wear, and was told he could have it sewn on when he was givin permission, the right time being when we were all given permission to get patches sewn on one of our Fatique shirts and one of our Class A coats, he may of in fact was issued his YD patches too before he left.

seanmc1114

38th Infantry Division with Airborne tab, probably white on blue. This officer was Capt. Kenneth W. Himsel, the commander of Company B 1st Battalion 151st Infantry (Airborne) of the Indiana National Guard and both photos came from the 38th's 1967 yearbook.

Interestingly, the yearbook shows that the 38th being comprised of the 76th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Brigade and 3rd Brigade. The 1st of the 151st was part of the 76th Infantry Brigade which also contained two standard and one mechanized infantry battalions. Apparently the 1/151st (Airborne) only comprised Headquarters and Headquarters Company and Company B. I did find this information online that suggests Company D, which was federalized in 1968 and served as a LRRP unit in Vietnam, was probably formed from the assets of HHC and Company B soon after: http://www.ranger151.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

Capt. Himsel later rose to the rank of Brigadier General and commanded the 38th Infantry Division in the early 1980's. He was killed in a military plane crash in Alaska in 1992.

post-1761-0-35107200-1373305062.jpg

post-1761-0-33952400-1373305070.jpg

seanmc1114

These two photos came from the same 1967 38th Infantry Division yearbook referenced in the previous post and appeared under the section on the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, Indiana Army National Guard. However, the SSI they are wearing is not the same one approved for the Indiana Guard by the Institute of Heraldry. Is this an earlier version?

post-1761-0-63966200-1373305437.jpg

post-1761-0-32629700-1373305442.jpg

These two photos came from the same 1967 38th Infantry Division yearbook referenced in the previous post and appeared under the section on the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, Indiana Army National Guard. However, the SSI they are wearing is not the same one approved for the Indiana Guard by the Institute of Heraldry. Is this an earlier version?

This patch was for the Indiana Guard Reserve

seanmc1114

What exactly is that? As I said, the yearbook identified the soldiers as being from HHD, Indiana Army National Guard.

seanmc1114

What exactly is that? As I said, the yearbook identified the soldiers as being from HHD, Indiana Army National Guard.

Good call GWissler. A little google search led me to this: http://www.indianaguardreserve.us/Welcome.html

Apparently it's the equivalent of the State Guard which assists the National Guard and fills in for them when the Guard if federalized.

post-1761-0-67874400-1373318475.jpg

38th Infantry Division with Airborne tab, probably white on blue. This officer was Capt. Kenneth W. Himsel, the commander of Company B 1st Battalion 151st Infantry (Airborne) of the Indiana National Guard and both photos came from the 38th's 1967 yearbook.

Interestingly, the yearbook shows that the 38th being comprised of the 76th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Brigade and 3rd Brigade. The 1st of the 151st was part of the 76th Infantry Brigade which also contained two standard and one mechanized infantry battalions. Apparently the 1/151st (Airborne) only comprised Headquarters and Headquarters Company and Company B. I did find this information online that suggests Company D, which was federalized in 1968 and served as a LRRP unit in Vietnam, was probably formed from the assets of HHC and Company B soon after: http://www.ranger151.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

Capt. Himsel later rose to the rank of Brigadier General and commanded the 38th Infantry Division in the early 1980's. He was killed in a military plane crash in Alaska in 1992.

Any idea what colors their Oval was? A generic Infantry one?

seanmc1114

29th Infantry Brigade. These shots came from a video of the 9th Infantry Division less its 3rd brigade arriving in Hawaii in August 1969 after redeploying from Vietnam. The 29th was a Hawaiian National Guard unit federalized to replace the 25th Infantry Division when it deployed to Vietnam.

post-1761-0-08468700-1373393351.jpg

post-1761-0-84412000-1373393356.jpg

seanmc1114

82nd Airborne Division without an Airborne tab from the brief period in the late 40's when the tabs were ordered removed.

post-1761-0-45585600-1373393440.jpg

seanmc1114

Alaska Defense Command patch worn by a soldier from the 4th Infantry Regiment during WWII. Note the cloth DUI for the 4th worn on both the epaulettes and cap.

post-1761-0-29640300-1373393690.jpg

Photos from the 1940 36th Infantry Division yearbook showing wool 36th patches on a circular background. Note the aviation officer wearing Air Corps branch insignia.

post-1761-0-96887900-1373466871.jpg

post-1761-0-39313000-1373466877.jpg

Three shots of soldiers wearing the 508th Airborne Regimental Combat Team patch in the 50's including one shot also showing the wear of the unit pocket patch.

post-1761-0-40078200-1373467036.jpg

post-1761-0-83520200-1373467041.jpg

post-1761-0-68067400-1373467047.jpg

Tec 4, Chester K Kastava, Member of the 799th Port Company, 517 Port Battalion, "Army Amphibious Units".

post-123228-0-12881700-1373923433.jpg

ReverendJake

Tec 4, Chester K Kastava, Member of the 799th Port Company, 517 Port Battalion, "Army Amphibious Units".

I've never seen X stitching on an ESB patch. It is a nice combination. Thanks for sharing.