Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

Not really a shoulder sleeve patch but a rare squadron patch. First up is the full photograph of the Army Air Force Shoulder Sleeve on the shoulder and the squadron patch on the chest. The veteran is wearing a fully patched and badged m43 field jacket. cornercafe154.jpg

Here is a close up of the squadron patch. The patch is the 1st Arctic Search and Rescue Squadron. cornercafe155.jpg

• 2 years later...

The 3rd Div in Action, I believe this was taken somewhere in Italy in the fall-winter of 43-44, the terrain does look like it right? but the net? it looks like the U.S. pattern does it not, or is it a British varient? anyway if it is a Late U.S. made net then this will be in Bavaria in the Spring of 45.

post-34986-0-48952000-1363666985.jpg

The 3rd Div in Action, I believe this was taken somewhere in Italy in the fall-winter of 43-44, the terrain does look like it right? but the net? it looks like the U.S. pattern does it not, or is it a British varient? anyway if it is a Late U.S. made net then this will be in Bavaria in the Spring of 45.

It could easily be a woven Italian made variant.

-Ski

It could easily be a woven Italian made variant.

-Ski

Are we talking about the Helmet Net or the Shoulder Patch Teamski, I was referring to the helmet net

:DThe net may be the standard U.S. Late war type, if so than I doubt this photo was taken in Italy, but the terrain, it sure does look like Italia right, the sparseness of the mountain mass in the background, not to mention the expansiveness of them, much differant from the lush forested Vosges mountains of the Alsace or foot hills leading to the Alps in Bavaria, the two mountainous areas where the Marne Division was in the Fall of 1944 and in the Spring of 1945 respectively. I wonder though if the net is in fact a British varient net, if that's correct, then Italy. Too bad there was no date for when this photograph was taken, perhaps it might be familiar or ring a bell with others members.

You are however absolutly correct with the 3rd Division patch, it might very well be a Italian woven type, even if this photo was taken in, say Germany in 45, knowing that these Italian made patches continued to issued and worn thoughout the remainder of the war by all the units that were previously in Italy and went in to Southern France.

vostoktrading

It looks like a standard issue 3rd Division patch to me. Am I missing something?

Also, tank guys, is that a cast hull Sherman? Did these get used all through the war?

The 3rd Division again, this we know is in Italy, caption states Christmas 1943, the other men without the Marne Divsion insignia are stated to be Signal Corps troops of the 163rd Signal Corps Company, not sure what command this company was organic to, it's not listed in either the 5th Army or II or VI Corps' Order of Battle, it may then have been a Allied Forces or MTOUSA level unit.

post-34986-0-67285400-1363719122.jpg

firefighter

Great thread! I will try to add some shortly...in the meantime, does anyone else agree that this is worth being pinned? I'm sure we'll accumulate plenty more images for a sizeable topic. Valuable reference indeed...

First - Kiska task force. Love the chevrons in the helmet net, too. I may have even pulled this one off the forums here. I think at least one GI has the Kiska patch as a combat patch.

kiska.jpg

Rob

I count 4.But wasn't the Kiska patch worn on both sleeves?

I too think the Kiska patch was worn on both sleeves for the operation by many of the troops. I do not know if this was by official orders or not. Also, I don't think the so called "combat patch" was promulgated until later in the war by the Army.

AH HA! While Cruising around I found this image, a second image, the same tank, same position, same area, only diffeant angle with one more additional soldier and as we see captured Germans, this is IDed as being at Anzio, so January-May 1944, I knew it had to be Italy, that net is just a British varient, it's note worthy that in this picture the 3rd Division patch has been censored, while in that first one we see it was not, also we can catch a glimpse of the 3rd Division patch under the net on the steel helmet of the second soldier.

post-34986-0-34170300-1363756154.jpg

It looks like a standard issue 3rd Division patch to me. Am I missing something?

Also, tank guys, is that a cast hull Sherman? Did these get used all through the war?

Yup, and as long as it (M4A1) did not get hit or damaged it kept being used.

So that is why you can find late war photos showing early types of Shermans.

Erwin

The Special Forces Captain in #1 is Roger Donlon, a Medal of Honor winner. Colonel Donlon was a friend of my wife's aunt and uncle. I wish I would have taken a picture of him at her aunt's funeral wearing the Medal of Honor Rosette on his suit.