anglehead flashlights

sharpsshooter

sharpsshooter

I have already asked some questions concerning WW2 and modern flashlights. But not one like this one. I know that some contractors supplied different lens filters in the following colors prissom, white, red, lite blue, dark blue, lite green, and yellow. My flashlights have these colors. What colors were used for what situations? I was told that the white was for blackout and the prissom was to spread the beam. And just exactly where was the filter installed?

craig_pickrall

One use of the white filter was to mark mine fields.

hawkdriver

In the later models, the lenses were stored in the base cap. You are correct about the prism lens. As for when other colors are used, it was kind of up to the individual. I was never issued a flashlight with instructions, so you kind of used what you wanted, when you wanted. I would put the red and white together to mark my position for something, I'm here. I also used that combination to read maps when I didn't have a poncho to throw over my head.

El Bibliotecario

I used the red filter in the field because it preserves ones night vision. The only problem was that at least one color on a map--don't recall which--would not show up in red light.

I used the red filter in the field because it preserves ones night vision. The only problem was that at least one color on a map--don't recall which--would not show up in red light.

Not trying to be a smart guy, but I am thinking it was either red or brown that did not show up under red light.

We used red filters at night when positioning trucks (we were a maintenance unit) and other odd jobs when setting up an operational area. If you were trying to do this under black out conditions, as noted it did not ruin one's night vision. Guiding a shop van through the woods in the dark in an unfamiliar area is not for the faint hearted, let alone 20 other such vehicles. My troops were very good at it, but I was always afraid something or someone was going to get run over.

mpguy80/08

As time went on and with the advent of IR imagers, the phrase "RED LIGHT KILLS" was heard in many a unit. I can remember sometime in the early 90s the switch was made to use the blue lens for anything other than specific circumstances (i.e. marking lanes and such). I always used any lens with the white filter behind it to further diffuse and soften the light.

Wayne

When the blue lenses became available, I switched the red lense out of my flashlight and also switched the red lenses for blue lenses in my command post. Besides being more IR compliant, I found the blue light was easier on my eyes, plus I could read maps much easier. I still use a blue light in my scout car when I have to work at night for much the same reasons. My citations are easier to read at night when I'm filing them out and it's still easier on my eyes.