US Navy green fatigues for a pilot, 1980s period

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

I found this set over the weekend for $7.00. I have never seen them for a Navy pilot. I thought they were interesting.

Robert

post-6492-1274752025.jpg

post-6492-1274752064.jpg

Navy used those fatigues when candidates went through BUDS. That and USMC 8 point caps.

Actually they were issued /"aquired" by any one who could get their hands on them. I was issued two sets of those and aset of the jungle fatigues in '82 for training while assigned to an amphip command. Loved them. While I rarely wore them for duty, I wore them out around the house. I still have the jungle jacket in a closet.

Steve Hesson

Even better... Your photo is a bit fuzzy but the name and USN tape look to be Vietnamese made. If you get a clearer photo I'd like to see it. I'm wondering about the wing, but I can't quite make it out.

I hate to speculate on an unresearched uniform, but I am wondering if this belonged to one of the HAL-3 helicopter pilots who supported the Riverine operations during Vietnam. The colored rank and wing insignia would be correct for that period. You can see photos of similar uniforms in Kraska and Kirby's book River Patrol Insignia.

kyhistorian01
Even better... Your photo is a bit fuzzy but the name and USN tape look to be Vietnamese made. If you get a clearer photo I'd like to see it. I'm wondering about the wing, but I can't quite make it out.

I hate to speculate on an unresearched uniform, but I am wondering if this belonged to one of the HAL-3 helicopter pilots who supported the Riverine operations during Vietnam. The colored rank and wing insignia would be correct for that period. You can see photos of similar uniforms in Kraska and Kirby's book River Patrol Insignia.

I know the uniform is post Vietnam because the date on the pants is 1985 and the shirt is dated 1987. I will try to scan a close up of the insigna for and post it later.

Robert

If they are from the 1980's, they should be the perma press version with large yellow care labels.

The photos looked like these were cotton rather than synthetic. I'm surprised the USN would have been using color insignia at that point.

We wore the same solid green uniforms when I did my first Seabee Battalion tour (85-90). They were issued without the Seabee on the pocket. You could take them to the tailor shop to have them embroidered or buy a iron on patch for the pocket.

It wasn't until the last year or so that we had change over to blackend collar devices and warfare insignia. Prior to that when we went into the field we had to take off our crows, etc.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

If they are from the 1980's, they should be the perma press version with large yellow care labels.

The photos looked like these were cotton rather than synthetic. I'm surprised the USN would have been using color insignia at that point.

In the 80's BUDS, there were no perma pressed shinola, there was the old cotton stuff. Some units still issued the cotton rather than the perma pressed shinola, there were warehouses full of the cotton stuff that was issued to whichever unit needed it for a specific duty. National guard units had the pass down situation of cotton when big army was issuing perma press.

After the army went BDU, there were still warehouses full of cotton fatigues that were given to other countries and sold as surplus to the public.