H&H 1937-62 Officer Dress Collar Insignia

bobgee

H_H__Phillips_Dress_Collars_OBV.JPG

Have a good look at these beautiful H&H Sterling officer's Collar insignia. Can you tell what's wrong?H_H__Phillips_Dress_Collars_OBV.JPG

Yep....the eagle on the Left insignia is reversed.....head facing the wrong way! A true manufacturer's defect....from Hilborn & Hamburger no less! But there's more. These badges were worn this way! They were removed from the Dress Blue tunic of a career retired Lt Col aviator - WWII & Korea. So, it can happen.

Enjoy....Semper Fi.....Bob

H_H__Phillips_Dress_Collars_REV.JPG

Bob,

Very unusual! What do you think happened? My guess is the H&H jeweler responsible for soldering birds to globes was hung-over or preoccupied that day? :unsure: I'm really surprised it made it past the inspectors and got out into the public.

s/f, Gary

Agree....maybe they were made on a Monday. My real surprise is that they were purchased and worn.

S/F........Bob

That is a fantastic set with a unique (as far as I know) error. Nice find!!

Maybe they were made on April 1. (April Fool's Day)

Steve

• 3 years later...

Thes EGAs were on a set of 1940s dated dress blues I just bought but the uniform belonged to a officer who served from 1938 to 1967 and I wanted to identify the maker and confirm the era. I was thinking they might be Meyer maybe? Or am I way off? They are identically hallmarked with "sterling" on one wing and "1/30RG on sterling" on the flukes but no maker name anywhere I can see.

(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

teufelhunde.ret

T, I always identified those as a H&H pattern: the outline on the applied continents and the distinctly unique high wing swept of the eagle. Have seen these birds in a few other configurations (marks on the reverse).

Here is a thread in the ref. sec. w/ the H&H mark (and an interesting variation on its own right):
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7695
s/f D.

Thanks, I missed seeing those when I looked at the reference section. I see what you mean about the high wing sweep and now that I look closer see the similarities in the continents.

Tom