Cloth helmet?

Jeffgsh

I picked up this cap with a 1944 dated British manufactured cavalry canteen cover. Anyone know what it is? It is made from a light khaki cotton fabric with a fleece lining. The four straps (I assume are for goggles) are held down with "DOT snappers" marked snaps. Flight Helmet? Motorcylist, Tanker? Any ideas?

post-9399-1274655630.jpg

post-9399-1274655642.jpg

post-9399-1274655650.jpg

brandon_rss18

I think its a cold weather hood and the loops with snaps are meant to go around the sweatband in an M-1 liner to keep it and the helmet in place when being worn. We still use these out at chevron but of course, the loops go around the sweatband of a plastic hardhat. :rolleyes:

I picked up this cap with a 1944 dated British manufactured cavalry canteen cover. Anyone know what it is? It is made from a light khaki cotton fabric with a fleece lining. The four straps (I assume are for goggles) are held down with "DOT snappers" marked snaps. Flight Helmet? Motorcylist, Tanker? Any ideas?

Like Brandon said its a construction hardhat liner for cold weather.

Ray

Bob Hudson

Military cloth helmets, such as those worn by pilots, had th loops on them, but they had one in the back, not in the front: these loops were used for the goggle straps.

I think its a cold weather hood and the loops with snaps are meant to go around the sweatband in an M-1 liner to keep it and the helmet in place when being worn. We still use these out at chevron but of course, the loops go around the sweatband of a plastic hardhat. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

That makes perfect sese. I'll have to try it out.

J