Grenade Body, Practice?

Got da Penny

Got da Penny

I just bought this from my "picker" yesterday. He bought it for $1.00 at a yard sale.

The problem i have is ..... I can not I.D. the Make of Grenade.

Looks American, a guy told my buddy, this was "between the wars" era. I am thinking this is a "practice" grenade for throwing purposes for the weight only.

Is this unfinished ???? The top of the body has a base.

Has the letters K W C O. on each square.

I have looked at my web references and cannot I.D. this. Any help on an I.D. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Carey

post-633-1274621028.jpg

post-633-1274621033.jpg

Bob Hudson
Looks like remnanats of yellow paint, I think that means high explosive.

It does look like yellow paint. The early MK2 grenades were painted all yellow, but it occurred to someone that was an attention-getting color, so they started making them OD with a thin yellow stripe. Some of the all-yellow ones were repainted OD.

I recently sold a couple of demilled practice grenades and the had the letters R F X stamped in the same manner as the one shown above has KWCO stamped. RFX is Richmond Foundry - but I can't find an reference to K W C O. not even in the very extensive list of grenade markings at http://members.shaw.ca/dwlynn/Markings.htm...20Manufacturers

Got da Penny

The yellow you may see is dirt or clay like material that i have not cleaned yet. not to say i wont see any yellow as stated.

Bob, i also used that site as a reference, my question is.

Is the Body Style American ?? and What era ??

Thanks for all the replies. CS

cary--- take a look at this site--- INERT ORD. it looks like 1 of ours but, look at your item in post 5. i dont see anything shaped like yours at the end like the specimens shown on that site.

Hey Gang! Looks like a Training/Practice MK2 to me. They were painted blue, with change out spoons and primers that popped when thrown. Pretty much used for the weight simulation of a live grenade. Saw a lot of these in the 70's & 80's. They are probably still in use. Also see them at every gun, and militaria show. SKIP

Got da Penny

Costa, I agree with you ... and already tried that site too ... !!! i cant match the top "crown" to any ones picture .. :think:

Thanks for the reply ..

Skip ....... I agree, its a "practice" grenade ..... BUT, why isn't the TOP Threaded ??? or have a molded spoon on it ??

What time frame or Date ??? That is whats bugging me. Also the Makers Mark .. K W C O.

Maybe Grenadebaron has some info ??? Rich, what say you ??

Carey

grenadebaron

Cary I have been looking for one like yours at my normal sites and yet to find one like it.

I think its a very early practice throwing grenade. The early practice throwing grenades did not have fuzes,

they were just a normal frag body.

I think it was in the 30's they started to cast the practice throwing grenade to look like a MKII

as shown below. I think the time period for yours is sometime in the 1920's.

I will keep looking, as you now you have me stumped on this one.

GREAT FIND, I am jealous

post-5271-1274633689.jpg

Just got through looking at Canfield's "US Inf. Weapons of the First WW". On page 227, there is a training "Mills Bomb" type grenade very similar to the one pictured. Grenadebaron might be on to something. SKIP

I'm bound to say it looks vaguely British to me. The Mills bomb of WW2 was a "pineapple" type like the US grenades. The one on here seems to have a rounder girth, rather like the British ones. Just my observations...I'm not a grenade collector (though I do have a US practise grenade like those described)

Sabrejet :think:

Got da Penny

Sabre, your right ..... That was my thought too. Kinda reminds me of a Mills Type Grenade.

Rich, I agree 100% that this could be an "early" practice grenade for training .. minus the spoon for getting used to the "weight" only.

This just stumps me, That's why i wanted to get everyone's opinions.

Thanks for all the comments and replies.

Skip, i will have to look in Canfields book.

Carey

PS --------> a hellava buy for $5 bucks :D

grenadebaron

Cary I have looked at every grenade site I know of about 20 of them.

Done searches on differant search engines for images thats over 400 pages.

Nothing

I will have to let somebody with more knowledge than me tell us what this is.

Will trade for 2 of my repros :rolleyes:

grenadebaron

This is what the master for molding looks like.

So there is no way in my opinion that yours is a mills bomb

post-5271-1274649821.jpg

• 2 years later...

If this were a US grenade, the little knob on the bottom would be indicitiave of the WWI type grenades; however, the WWI grenades had 4 rows of segments and this grenade has 5 rows. By the time they were using grenades with 5 rows of segments the knob on the bottom had been eliminated.

The top appears, in my estimation, to have been sawed off so there is no way to determine what was there or if there was a threaded neck to it.

Also the over all shape does not conform to the US WWI or WWII grenades.

Since I'm sure I don't know everything there is to know about grenades, I stand to be corrected, but my guess is European.

RD