Pearl Harbor Posthumous USN Purple Hearts

KASTAUFFER

The presentation ceremony in mid 1943. (Yes, his buttons are undone. Don't know why. Maybe they were trying to pin the medal on and were having trouble doing so.)

post-10651-1283709729.jpg

Love that award card Adam !!

I have USS Shaw and USS Oklahoma posthumous Pearl Harbor PHs in the collection. The engraving styles are the same as those posted already. Interestingly the earlier issued PH for the USS Oklahoma has the rank and USN on separate lines and the later (as in date of issue) for the USS Shaw has the rank and USN on the same line.

Vic

I have USS Shaw and USS Oklahoma posthumous Pearl Harbor PHs in the collection. The engraving styles are the same as those posted already. Interestingly the earlier issued PH for the USS Oklahoma has the rank and USN on separate lines and the later (as in date of issue) for the USS Shaw has the rank and USN on the same line.

Vic

Hey Vic

Lets see some pics dude!

Kurt

• 2 months later...

Vic

Vic I think you collection is Too big you need to send me a Pearl harbor Heart!!!! :w00t:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
KASTAUFFER

During my trip to Hawaii last week I was able to make an appointment to go to the storage facility where the historical objects not displayed at the USS Arizona Memorial are stored. Curator Scott Pawlowski and Museum Technician Stan Melman were gracious to allow me full access to the medals at the facility. I wasnt able to take many photos as time was limited and much of my time was spent talking to them about the medals in their collection. Part of the reason I was there was that I knew of a fraudulently engraved USS Arizona PH that had been donated 20 years ago by a collector, and I wanted to alert the Park Service that there was a " bad piece" in the collection. It was there and it was still bad!

I took photos of 2 posthumous USN Purple Hearts which I felt were unusual. One of them was engraved with the date! I have seen a couple others like it, so seeing this one in the collection, made me feel even better about that style.

Shown below are the Purple Hearts awarded to Acting Pay Clerk Paxton T. Carter and Seaman 2c Charles E. Brittan , both of whom paid the supreme sacrifice 12/7/41 on the USS Arizona.

I would like to credit the USS Arizona Memorial and the National Park Service with allowing me to share these photos.

clark.jpg

LuftStalg1

Nice Kurt! What was the bad piece and did you get photos of it? I have no exp on engraving so I would not be able to tell anyway. :dunno:

During my trip to Hawaii last week I was able to make an appointment to go to the storage facility where the historical objects not displayed at the USS Arizona Memorial are stored. Curator Scott Pawlowski and Museum Technician Stan Melman were gracious to allow me full access to the medals at the facility. I wasnt able to take many photos as time was limited and much of my time was spent talking to them about the medals in their collection. Part of the reason I was there was that I knew of a fraudulently engraved USS Arizona PH that had been donated 20 years ago by a collector, and I wanted to alert the Park Service that there was a " bad piece" in the collection. It was there and it was still bad!

I took photos of 2 posthumous USN Purple Hearts which I felt were unusual. One of them was engraved with the date! I have seen a couple others like it, so seeing this one in the collection, made me feel even better about that style.

Shown below are the Purple Hearts awarded to Acting Pay Clerk Paxton T. Carter and Seaman 2c Charles E. Brittan , both of whom paid the supreme sacrifice 12/7/41 on the USS Arizona.

I would like to credit the USS Arizona Memorial and the National Park Service with allowing me to share these photos.

post-105-1306201975.jpg

KASTAUFFER
Kurt-are all these medals type 1? and will you post a pic of the bad PH? Dave

I saw @10 USS Arizona PHs at the Memorial and all were type I's including the two I photographed.

I didn't take a pic of the fake as it was so far off from official format that I didn't bother.

I only photographed examples I felt were different than what is already pictured on this thread. On my next trip I want to photograph them all.

Kurt

• 1 month later...
so.mostyank

Here is another Purple Heart which was awarded to Apprentice Seaman Thomas Hembree who was KIA 12/7/41 on the USS Curtiss . His remains , previously interned as " Unknown " at the Punchbowl in Hawaii were recently identifed. He was re-interned at the punchbowl with a new headstone.

This Purple Heart was issued to his NOK on 11/23/43.

post-105-1201319516.jpg

post-105-1238730722.jpg

[tHE ENGRAVING IS BEAUTIFUL AND ALMOST MATCHES THE QUALITY OF ENGRAVING ON VERY EARLY moh'S. tHAT IS SPECTACULAR IN MOST CASES...i HAVE SEEN EXCEPTIONS THOUGH.

SO.MOSTYANK

• 1 month later...
Since it is still December I thought a good way to kick off my first contributing post to this forum would be to show a few US Navy Posthumus Pearl Harbor PH's!

Pearl Harbor PH's are special for a number of reasons. One of them is the unique way that many are engraved. Most WWII KIA USN PH's are engraved NAME/RANK/USN or USNR for enlisted men or RANK / NAME / USN or USNR for officers . USN PH's for Pearl Harbor often have RANK and USN on the same line instead of 2 lines .

This example was awarded to Chief Watertender William E. Tisdale Jr. He was KIA 12/7/41 on the USS Arizona. Note his rank and USN is on the same line. His medal was issued in 1943. The USN did not authorize the posthumous award of the Purple Heart medal to anyone until 1943, which means they are retroactive in the case of Pearl Harbor casualties .

post-105-1201319466.jpg

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE PH POSTINGS!

Ill second that motion. Exellent ref material for new guys like myself just getting started in the world of collecting medals esp. Purple Hearts.

• 3 months later...

Vernon W.Fairbanks was with the CAC at Pearl Harbor on 7 Dec.1941 and was Wounded in Action.This Purple Heart is listed in the range of Hearts given to awardees on 7 Dec.1941.He later saw action with the 73rd Bomb Wing,20th Air Force.

wiaph_001.JPG

More photos....

dhcoleterracina

What a great piece. Do you know how many traceable numbered PH's there are for the attack on PH? I think I have one in the 74xxx range that is also a bent slot brooch.

Robert,

Thank you for sharing this warrior medal who was WIA on that Day of Infamy 70 years ago today and went on to take the fight to our enemies.

:salute:

John

What a great piece. Do you know how many traceable numbered PH's there are for the attack on PH? I think I have one in the 74xxx range that is also a bent slot brooch.

Follows are the number ranges that Al Gleim determined for Army PH's sent to Hawaii shortly after 07Dec

73188 to 73266

73269 to 73387

73541 to 73740

73941 to 74108

DakotaDave