sgtdorango

Desert Camo Helmet Covers

Heres a helmet cover i picked up the other day with US insignia applied on front, never seen this before , has anyone else seen this or know why it is used? The cover is dated 2000.

post-350-1184725950.jpg

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

It was probably used by a government contractor deployed overseas. They usually wear the letters "US" in a triangle on their uniform shirt. I've never seen the letters on a helmet before, but civilians pretty much do what they want and you see a lot of variations.

Bill

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

I was thinking along the same line, perhaps a press correspondent? I can't think of any use of an embroidered "U.S." by the Army.

This kind of mysterious item adds frustration to collecting and satisfaction when figured out.

VMI88 nailed it. Seen this a few times in Iraq.

Activly Selling All Items

All eras

VERY interested in M1 helmets, WWI victory medals, and I will do almost anything for real SOG gear or uniforms.

Email or PM with offers please.

Needing; Pin back CIB, two piece CIB, ANy odd CIB's, 41st Infantry Regiment DUI (old ones), 65th AFAB DUI

Please visit my website at DM1975.com

donation2007.gif

Thanks guys, another oddball for my collection... :rolleyes:

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

US Army civilian (DA Civilians) employess deployed overseas who are authorized to wear the uniform, wear the "US" device on that uniform. It is in the form of a patch with the "US" within a triangle on the shoulder or above a pocket and "US" devices like on that helmet cover on the uniform collar. I doubt contractors would wear the "US" device, but I could be mistaken. It is covered in the Army uniform regulations.

This is only a guess and I am not sure if it is still the practice today. When I was in the Army CID agents that normally wear only civilian cloths would wear uniforms in areas where civies were not allowed but they would have no specifics insignia. Instead of rank and branch insignia they would only wear officer's US in there place. That may be what this is.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Being a Blackhawk pilot that flew a lot of these guys in Iraq, I can tell you that you do have a DA civilian's helmet cover. Normally, these guys did not wear covers on their helmets, they just wore them bare. I would make a bet that this guy did not want to be mistaken for a contractor and since everyone that flies "Blackhawk Air" had to have a helmet and body armor, and the body armor would have covered his normal U.S. on his jacket, he probably bought his own cover and had his "US" sewn on so that everyone would know he was DA.... I would bet.

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/crustyw4scorner/

35lyhcy.gif2d29461.gifixd2rm.gif

This is an interesting helmet cover -- I don't think these were used for very long. It's made for the Advanced Combat Helmet (ACH), the improved version of the Kevlar. It's reversible from desert to woodland camouflage. Of course with the new ACUs there's only one camouflage pattern in use, and therefore no need for a reversible cover.

Bill

post-265-1218404305.jpg

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

This is an interesting helmet cover -- I don't think these were used for very long. It's made for the Advanced Combat Helmet (ACH), the improved version of the Kevlar. It's reversible from desert to woodland camouflage. Of course with the new ACUs there's only one camouflage pattern in use, and therefore no need for a reversible cover.

Bill

You are right they came with our helmets we were issued but since we were all going to ACU's we never used them at all. I still have my unissued one in the bottom of a dufflebag at the house. Matter of fact I can't recall any unit using those throughout all my deployments over here in Iraq. I have seen SF and Delta paint their Mitch helmets tan but have seen none with tan covers in use. Though I am sure their may be a NG unit out there that had to use them though I haven't seen any personally.

David

1SG David Brackett

DS, OIF x 3, OEF, Egypt, Kosovo, Korea, (Berlin) Germany

20+ US Army 13 of it with the 101st Airborne Division, 3 years with 24th / 3rd ID, 3 years in the Berlin Brigade, and 1 year in 8th Army Korea

I was a counter- intelligence agent 97B-20 back in 90-99. When in the field, we wore US collar devices instead of our rank. We never were refured to by it either. We were called Special Agent or just Agent.. Our sank was written as SA.. That way, when we had a job to do, we didn't have to worry about being out ranked. We could go in, do our jobs, and get out without a hassle.. I got to have more than one officer written up for failing to comply with a security inspection or for failing to follow SOP concerning security..We never had anything but the chocolate chips tho..I got my first 3 color camos before Somolia, but never got a new helmet cover.. I had the choclate chips, and a woodland.. I think I have a snow one too somewhere I was given.. Never an all tan one tho..

Fins.

That wasn't friendly fire.. If I was being 'friendly', I wouldn't have fired at them!!!

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

You are right they came with our helmets we were issued but since we were all going to ACU's we never used them at all. I still have my unissued one in the bottom of a dufflebag at the house. Matter of fact I can't recall any unit using those throughout all my deployments over here in Iraq. I have seen SF and Delta paint their Mitch helmets tan but have seen none with tan covers in use. Though I am sure their may be a NG unit out there that had to use them though I haven't seen any personally.

David

Very interesting thread! I have an ACU helmet with the reversable cover that was used by a member of the 3rd Infantry Division while in Iraq. After he returned to the states he wore the same helmet and cover with the woodland side out. I can take pictures if anyone is interested.

eric

donation2012.gif

donation2014.gif

donation2015.gif

donation2019.gif

yes!!!.....mike

My fingers were working faster than my brain, I meant ACH!

Here are the pictures. The first one is an overall shot in the woodland. I've left it as I received it from the fellow who wore it.

post-125-1222901981.jpg

donation2012.gif

donation2014.gif

donation2015.gif

donation2019.gif

You can see the outline of where his 3rd ID patches were stitched.

post-125-1222902065.jpg

donation2012.gif

donation2014.gif

donation2015.gif

donation2019.gif

Here is the one that I wore in 2005 in Iraq as well. :)

(thats me in the background, taken on Christmas day in '05 on a patrol)

wothelmet.jpg

Activly Selling All Items

All eras

VERY interested in M1 helmets, WWI victory medals, and I will do almost anything for real SOG gear or uniforms.

Email or PM with offers please.

Needing; Pin back CIB, two piece CIB, ANy odd CIB's, 41st Infantry Regiment DUI (old ones), 65th AFAB DUI

Please visit my website at DM1975.com

donation2007.gif

DM1975, I love thathelmet and the pic! Nice work thumbsup.gif

Here is a patched, 3rd ID K-Pot with NVG. I always prefer the combat used look, like DM1975's helmet. But this one I like as well.

post-2842-1224588088.jpg

I've got to give credit to DM1975 for his great idea. I love the way his pic came out and thought I would try the same thing with my helmet. I was in Iraq the first go around.

post-2842-1224761067.jpg

Bill

I got issued one of those covers for basic at Sill in Apr 06. We wore ours with the desert side out.

As for the insignia, a lot of the DOD employees wear it on their uniform. The patch looks exactly like the WWII civilian patches.

Dent

Hey guys,

Noticed no one has added to this in a while. I just came across these two in box I was going through.

What is the age of this one?

post-2063-1254586301.jpg

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

"Bullets make the best goodbyes. The more people I meet, the more bullets I need."

and is this parachute cover unusual or uncommon? i have never seen one before, but I don't collect helmet covers either. It is pretty faded on the inside, though not as bad as the pictures show.

post-2063-1254586373.jpg

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

"Bullets make the best goodbyes. The more people I meet, the more bullets I need."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.