US Army berets - blue, black, green, maroon, tan...

BEAST

The only flash from Fort Wainwright I have is from the 67th.  I sold my flash collection (including airborne) about 8 years ago.

I went through my scanned pictures for items that I sold on Ebay and I found the flashes from Fort Wainwright.  Over the flashes are the ID information but you can see the fron of the flashes.  I hope the pictures help.

Larry

X-Non Abn or AA Flashes-02.jpg

X-Non Abn or AA Flashes-03.jpg

2 hours ago, rtd_sf_eng said:

I went through my scanned pictures for items that I sold on Ebay and I found the flashes from Fort Wainwright.  Over the flashes are the ID information but you can see the fron of the flashes.  I hope the pictures help.

Larry

X-Non Abn or AA Flashes-02.jpg

X-Non Abn or AA Flashes-03.jpg

Yes it does.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Stay safe,

McChizzle

I found my beret collection this weekend and here they are,  The 10th is my oldest, followed by the 1st, which I wore on my last assignment before retireing.  I had the linner made at Angeles City on one of the many TDY trips to PI. the liner   Next is the 7th, which I wore when I was assigned to the 5th at Fort Bragg.  The SWC was my first issue of the current berets.  The first SWC beret was worn on normal duty days while the second beret was worn for inspections.  The beret with the 7th "Candy Bar" was woen by my first wife.  The maroon beret was given to me by a friend who retired from the Army and no longer needed it.  Note the price tag.

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5143.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG

IMG_5142.JPG

McChizzle

I want to thank everyone for helping me rap my head around the 172nd Infantry Brigade's beret flashes used on their OD green berets.  Although I used information posted on this forum, I also tried to use other sources to help verify things.  Yet I may have some of this wrong, so I would like your help to QA/QC my work on this, please.  Here is what I have put together on these historical beret flashes:

172nd Infantry Brigade HQ

- 1st version

Former_US_Army_172nd_Infantry_Brigade_Beret_Flash-1st_version.png

- 2nd version

Former_US_Army_172nd_Infantry_Brigade_Beret_Flash-2nd_version.png

4th Battalion, 9th Infantry

Former_US_Army_9th_Infantry_Regiment-4th_Battalion_Beret_Flash.png

4th Battalion, 23rd Infantry

Former_US_Army_23rd_Infantry_Regiment-4th_Battalion_Beret_Flash.png

1st Battalion, 60th Infantry

Former_US_Army_1st_BN-60th_Inf_Reg_Beret_Flash.png

562nd Engineer Company

Former_US_Army_562nd_Engineer_Company_Beret_Flash.png

Troop E, 1st Cavalry

Former_US_Army_1st_Cavalry_Regiment-Troop_E_Beret_Flash.png

Battery C, 1st Battalion, 37th Field Artillery

Former_US_Army_37th_Field_Artillery_Regiment-1st_Battalion-C_Battary_Beret_Flash.png

222nd Aviation Battalion

Former_US_Army_222nd_Aviation_Battalion_Beret_Flash.png

1st Battalion, 43rd Air Defense Artillery

Former_US_Army_43rd_Air_Defense_Artillery_Regiment-1st_Battalion_Beret_Flash.png

7 hours ago, McChizzle said:

I want to thank everyone for helping me rap my head around the 172nd Infantry Brigade's beret flashes used on their OD green berets.  Although I used information posted on this forum, I also tried to use other sources to help verify things.  Yet I may have some of this wrong, so I would like your help to QA/QC my work on this, please.  Here is what I have put together on these historical beret flashes:

172nd Infantry Brigade HQ

- 1st version

Former_US_Army_172nd_Infantry_Brigade_Beret_Flash-1st_version.png

- 2nd version

Former_US_Army_172nd_Infantry_Brigade_Beret_Flash-2nd_version.png

4th Battalion, 9th Infantry

Former_US_Army_9th_Infantry_Regiment-4th_Battalion_Beret_Flash.png

4th Battalion, 23rd Infantry

Former_US_Army_23rd_Infantry_Regiment-4th_Battalion_Beret_Flash.png

1st Battalion, 60th Infantry

Former_US_Army_1st_BN-60th_Inf_Reg_Beret_Flash.png

562nd Engineer Company

Former_US_Army_562nd_Engineer_Company_Beret_Flash.png

Troop E, 1st Cavalry

Former_US_Army_1st_Cavalry_Regiment-Troop_E_Beret_Flash.png

Battery C, 1st Battalion, 37th Field Artillery

Former_US_Army_37th_Field_Artillery_Regiment-1st_Battalion-C_Battary_Beret_Flash.png

222nd Aviation Battalion

Former_US_Army_222nd_Aviation_Battalion_Beret_Flash.png

1st Battalion, 43rd Air Defense Artillery

Former_US_Army_43rd_Air_Defense_Artillery_Regiment-1st_Battalion_Beret_Flash.png

No wonder why I didn't recall a 1st Battalion, 43rd Air Defense Artillery when I was in the brigade, we see it was inactivated at Richardson by the time I reported in in July 1981, inactivated 31 July 1979.

seanmc1114

A medic from the 1st Battalion 504th Infantry 82nd AIrborne Division wearing the Infantry blue shoulder cord and collar discs. Note he is wearing a 504th oval with his jump wings but no flash on his maroon beret.

Beret.Red.504th Infantry.No Flash.jpg

McChizzle
10 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

A medic from the 1st Battalion 504th Infantry 82nd AIrborne Division wearing the Infantry blue shoulder cord and collar discs. Note he is wearing a 504th oval with his jump wings but no flash on his maroon beret.

Beret.Red.504th Infantry.No Flash.jpg

Something is amiss here.  This young paratrooper is wearing the Medical Corps brass and has heard the Expert Field Medical Badge, which can only be earned my Medical Corps soldiers or 18Ds.  The Infantry blue cord and discs can only be worn by those in the 11 CMF that are assigned to an infantry billet.  Where the uniform regulations really that different in the mid-1970s or is he a fake?

Here is another example from 1973, right when the 82nd got permission to start wearing the maroon beret.  A young Signal Corps paratrooper with the 82nd Division Support Command wearing his new maroon beret with no flash and the 782nd Maintenance Battalion DUI.

PH001_005_RobertWolfe_001A.jpg

seanmc1114
1 hour ago, McChizzle said:

Something is amiss here.  This young paratrooper is wearing the Medical Corps brass and has heard the Expert Field Medical Badge, which can only be earned my Medical Corps soldiers or 18Ds.  The Infantry blue cord and discs can only be worn by those in the 11 CMF that are assigned to an infantry billet.  Where the uniform regulations really that different in the mid-1970s or is he a fake?

Here is another example from 1973, right when the 82nd got permission to start wearing the maroon beret.  A young Signal Corps paratrooper with the 82nd Division Support Command wearing his new maroon beret with no flash and the 782nd Maintenance Battalion DUI.

PH001_005_RobertWolfe_001A.jpg

It was never regulation, but it was not uncommon to see medics assigned to infantry units wearing Infantry blue shoulder cords and discs.

McChizzle
On 5/3/2021 at 7:48 PM, seanmc1114 said:

It was never regulation, but it was not uncommon to see medics assigned to infantry units wearing Infantry blue shoulder cords and discs.

Seanmc1114, do you know what year that photo of the young 82nd Airborne combat medic was taken?

seanmc1114
On 5/9/2021 at 10:54 AM, McChizzle said:

Seanmc1114, do you know what year that photo of the young 82nd Airborne combat medic was taken?

I don't know. Some time in the 70's I assume.

The 7th ID defended the Korean DMZ from '53 to '71.  Note that the beret has the "bayonet badge" reflecting DMZ combat, likely during the late 60s.  I don't know what CWS or GWS stands for though. 

I don't own this one, alas!

7th Infantry Div 2.jpg

7th Infantry Div.jpg

On 5/13/2021 at 8:37 PM, MPage said:

The 7th ID defended the Korean DMZ from '53 to '71.  Note that the beret has the "bayonet badge" reflecting DMZ combat, likely during the late 60s.  I don't know what CWS or GWS stands for though. 

I don't own this one, alas!

7th Infantry Div 2.jpg

7th Infantry Div.jpg

Made by Pop Eye LOL

219-2199872_popeye-the-sailor-by-fannochka-popeye-the-sailor.jpg.41d2d311a5e5565c53f48c9758e04a91.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering what the insignia experts think of this 5th SFG beret flash? Came with a set of gold tigers. The tigerstripes are legit but not sure about the flash or if it was added to the uniform group later by a collector or the vet post war?
Any insight would be appreciated
Cheers,
Matte5ebe57c1702e878b3a2ec732c3dbb3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Presumably these are black berets being worn by members of the 1st Battalion 111th Infantry of the Pennsylvania National Guard's 28th Infantry Division during the 60's. 

111th Infantry Regiment.8.jpg

111th Infantry Regiment.11.DUI.png

3 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Presumably these are black berets being worn by members of the 1st Battalion 111th Infantry of the Pennsylvania National Guard's 28th Infantry Division during the 60's. 

It was part of the 42nd Infantry Division for around 7 years due to the big restructure of the National Guard Infantry and Armored Divisions, a restructure that see's a lot of the divisions inactivated or downgraded to separate brigades.

1968 Reorganized 17 February 1968 with 1st Brigade 28th Infantry Division redesignated 56th Brigade, 42 Infantry Division, with 2nd Battalion, 111th Infantry attached.

1976 Reorganized 15 April 1975 and redesignated 56th Brigade, 28th Infantry Division, with 1st and 2nd Battalions 111th Infantry attached.

20 minutes ago, seanmc1114 said:

I don't have a date on the photo, but I figured mid-60's since they are wearing the 28th Infantry Division SSI and white nametapes and gold on black U.S. Army tapes.

13 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

I don't have a date on the photo, but I figured mid-60's since they are wearing the 28th Infantry Division SSI and white nametapes and gold on black U.S. Army tapes.

And armed with the M1 and equipt with the old Walkee Talkee 726140397_emoticonsmile.png.af63d608f225e9cec54e754f4dd4e6c1.png

On 7/22/2021 at 10:08 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Hello All,

Excited to see that photo posted, I found that photo in the Ft Indiantown Gap museum archives and it is now in the Regimental collection. For context, the photo comes from a 1/111 rotation as OPFOR in Germany. The berets, scarfs, and glasses were meant to make them look like "Cuban revolutionaries" according to a member. Though we never locked down the date we believe it was late 1960's as the unit is wearing the M56 gear which they received late in that decade.

-Aaron

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2007 at 10:51 PM, DwightPruitt said:

I know back in the day - mid to late 70's- some Armor and Cav units wore black berets until they were outlawed by DA in 1978. I've never seen a blue beret worn by the Cav.

.....was in the 2/11 ACR from Mar 82-July 84. We still had the black berets, unofficially.