US Army berets - blue, black, green, maroon, tan...

BEAST

Lieutenant wearing a Special Forces SSI and green beret with neither a flash nor candy stripe. Probably around 1968 or 1969.

post-1761-0-51826400-1490625189.jpg

Special Operations Command, Pacific is the beret flash. This flash is not exactly the same as the examples depicted in the reference book I have, which both have a black border dividing the colors, in a 'T' shape. Could be a very early style, when the unit was stood up in 1983, or perhaps from before then, from the unit's earlier incarnation? There's very little info about the history of that command.

I'm guessing the guy was a Ranger(?).

post-257-0-42171400-1490832797_thumb.jpg

Picked these up in a lot of six. Had to buy them all to get a 60s era 11th SF Gp Luxemburg Green Beret. Anyway, I know nothing about these.

Thought they were perfect for adding here.

Maroon and Grey.

post-729-0-56175800-1491150340_thumb.jpg

post-729-0-51721200-1491150351_thumb.jpg

No one?

We thought you knew, our fault.

So the first one, the Dark Blue one, will be a 1970s one for the 3rd Battalion 187th Infantry 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), from other postings in this topic, you'll see them in use. Normally these will have TICKS for the Battalion. Uncertain why this flash doesn't have one, perhaps a early flash??

Great topic here on the 101 Berets of the 70s.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/217427-101st-airborne-division-blue-air-assault-beret-1973-1978/

The one on the Maroon Beret on the bottom, I'm gathering is a early one for when the 3rd Bn 187th Inf was on jump status as a Paratrooper unit, the 3rd Brigade of the 101, which was from sometime in 1972, Spring I think, till April 1974.

Again flash with out ticks, so may be an early flash, I suspect these two berets were from the same guy, a Parachute qualified guy, the Maroon one when he first was in the 3rd Bn 187th, and the second one, the Dark Blue one, worn when the unit was taken off jump status and was reorganized like the rest of the 101 in 1974.

The 3rd Brigade 72-74 is explained in more detail in post #49 in topic below (note I left out the 3rd Bn 187th in the narrative, as I was focused more on the patches, my error).

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/103743-vietnam-era-subdued-101st-patch/page-2

OK for the record that beret I posted a couple posts back (post #304) is not as stated. It's a beret from the TX State Guard.

We thought you knew, our fault.

So the first one, the Dark Blue one, will be a 1970s one for the 3rd Battalion 187th Infantry 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), from other postings in this topic, you'll see them in use. Normally these will have TICKS for the Battalion. Uncertain why this flash doesn't have one, perhaps a early flash??

Thanks, the first one is a Medium/Lt Grey, if it matters and yes they all came from the same guy. Did the 3rd Bn 187th Inf 3rd Brigade of the 101, ever see service in Vietnam?

Thanks, the first one is a Medium/Lt Grey, if it matters and yes they all came from the same guy. Did the 3rd Bn 187th Inf 3rd Brigade of the 101, ever see service in Vietnam?

That first one is most likely faded. And yes the 3/187th certainly did fight in Vietnam, December 1967-December 1971. It was this battalion that was main unit in the Battle of Dong Ap Bia in May 1970, but bear in mind that these two berets wouldn't have been worn in Vietnam, only back at Ft Campbbell Kentucky after the division formed up again sometime in 1972.

What time period are US berets with a DSCP logo label? Thanks Steve

Fairly modern.

When the Wear of the Black beret went Army wide the DSCP is widely seen.

No most likely, it is Grey, made that way no ifs about it. Thanks for your info on the maroon one

Most unusual then, a dark or dark-ish Blue was the norm then.

I bought a group of these, TWO Grey ones, both Flashed the same, THREE Maroon, two flashed the same and one w/ no flash, but has a 173d pin, and one Vietnam era 11th flashed GREEN Beret with the DOL DI.

I bought a group of these, TWO Grey ones, both Flashed the same, THREE Maroon, two flashed the same and one w/ no flash, but has a 173d pin, and one Vietnam era 11th flashed GREEN Beret with the DOL DI.

Sounds like you got a nice little grouping there. The 173rd Pin, is a Beercan or period made or more modern vet pin?

• 4 weeks later...
seanmc1114

Here's a screen shot of a Special Forces Lt. from around 1962 or 1963. He seems to be wearing a green beret with the top of a flash (5th Group) cut down and sewn around the edge of the beret below the rank insignia. I have seen berets with full flashes and candy stripes, but don't think I have ever seen one like this. Any thoughts?

post-1761-0-18078600-1493842100_thumb.jpg

I have been told that early on, guys would have to make their own candy stripes by cutting down full flashes.

That was what I was thinking, a candy stripe fashioned from a flash.

• 2 weeks later...
seanmc1114

98J (Electronic Intelligence Interceptor/Analyst) military intelligence PFC of a MI or Army Security Agency unit, possibly an honor guard, at Fort Devens, MA in 1975. The beret is presumably oriental blue and the bib gray which are the branch colors of Military Intelligence.

post-1761-0-11228200-1495044018.jpg

post-1761-0-48273500-1495044220_thumb.jpg