US Army berets - blue, black, green, maroon, tan...

BEAST

OK, here's some more - the one on the far left unfortunately has no provenance. The band is well-worn and I wonder if it came back from Vietnam. The 75th Infantry DI is pushed through the stiffener without clutches (not enough sticking through to grab). Second one is G/143rd Infantry (Ranger), TXNG, from the 80s. Third and fourth are typical Ranger Department berets; the lieutenant's Bancroft is named to a VN veteran.

post-257-0-15906000-1483320306_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I knew I seen this DI before, this posted by seanmc1114 aways back in the Branch Scarf Ascot topic. This one is from the 1960s, circa 1968 the one posted just before with the black GI, maybe from the 70s, post war (No ribbon for National Defense service Medal)

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

PFC Steven Ray Segura, who was killed in action in Vietnam on March 1, 1969 while assigned to the 25th Medical Battalion, wearing an interesting assortment of accoutrements. His bib is presumably maroon for Medical Corps and the beret may be as well but the shoulder chord almost appears pink, although white is the color of Medical Corps piping so that is also a possibility. Also, I'm not sure what the DUI is on his beret or the the flash - it almost looks like a pre-Vietnam War 5th Special Forces flash worn upside down

Attached Images
  • post-1761-0-21033300-1408308453.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Did the 2/502 lnf. wear a blue beret during the Vietnam war? Thanks Steve

Most likely post VN in the mid 70s the 101st had blue berets

Black berets with unknown DUI worn by Infantry officer candidates at Fort Benning in 1969. Some of the other guys in the background are also wearing berets and some are wearing what look like Aussie hats.

post-1761-0-50622400-1489686862_thumb.jpg

Black berets with unknown DUI worn by Infantry officer candidates at Fort Benning in 1969. Some of the other guys in the background are also wearing berets and some are wearing what look like Aussie hats.

Aussie hats, maybe they're imported Viet Cowboy hats?

OK so after 4 months I finally bought this beret. It has a USAF EMs hat device on it to muddy the waters. So what do I call it now that I have it? I'll assume its Nam era with the date of the beret, I dont know how to date the emblem, if there is a way? Didnt see any markings on it. Might this have been USAF PJs or perhaps something else? Experts?

Thanks for any help.

post-729-0-14110900-1490366227_thumb.jpg

post-729-0-60937200-1490366243_thumb.jpg

post-729-0-13922200-1490366254_thumb.jpeg

I never saw a blue beret with the service cap badge on it before. Security Police troops wore their major command crest in that position and I've seen these berets worn with officer rank or jump wings. Now a days, they have a flash for USAF security forces but the EM cap badge... nope!

iron bender

My dad was issued this black beret while at Fort Benning OCS, January 67. Actually his whole company was issued these berets. He didn't recall when the 1st Lt bar landed on it, but I know for fact it's been there since the late 70's so I'm leaving it as is for now. He's going to dig for some pics of them wearing these while at Ft. Benning.

post-166807-0-88475400-1490390062_thumb.jpg

Here's a soldier from the 4th Battalion 9th Infantry 172nd Infantry Brigade in Alaska - 1976. Black and white photos can be so frustrating at times like this. Would this be an olive drab beret?

Yes.

I was stationed in Alaska in the late 1970s when General William Rogers, Army Chief of Staff, directed the wearing of the black beret, and the review of other units berets, this was one of the first units effected.

The soldiers of the 172nd at Fort Richardson earned an OD beret because they became "artic" qualified and were very proud of this beret.

Some continued to wear it quietly, against regulations.

Sorry, it's not normal Air Force regulation.

My guess is that someone may have added the device, thinking it to be a Air Force women's beret.

The only other explanation could possibly be that it might have been worn by a base honor guard. However, with rare exception, most of those berets were white and worn with white web belts, white ascots, and white boot laces.

Some base honor guards -- like the 366th Tactical Fighter Wing (TAC), Mountain Home AFB, Idaho, were wearing white berets in 1980. The base honor guard at Westover AFB, MA -- then the 439th Military Airlift Wing -- wore white berets, especially during Desert Storm.

OK so after 4 months I finally bought this beret. It has a USAF EMs hat device on it to muddy the waters. So what do I call it now that I have it? I'll assume its Nam era with the date of the beret, I dont know how to date the emblem, if there is a way? Didnt see any markings on it. Might this have been USAF PJs or perhaps something else? Experts?

Thanks for any help.

My dad was issued this black beret while at Fort Benning OCS, January 67. Actually his whole company was issued these berets. He didn't recall when the 1st Lt bar landed on it, but I know for fact it's been there since the late 70's so I'm leaving it as is for now. He's going to dig for some pics of them wearing these while at Ft. Benning.

attachicon.gifIMG_1293.JPG

Here's some OCS berets from the 60s on this page, I more on the other pages too.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7676-us-army-berets-blue-black-green-maroon-tan/page-3&do=findComment&comment=1731595

River Patrol

uploadfromtaptalk1490459468623.jpguploadfromtaptalk1490459482837.jpg

November Company Ranger Beret

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Since it's a dark blue, then it will date from the 70s. Check the sevreal postings in this topic for the 1970s berets of the101st Airborne Division (Air Assault)

post-154231-0-99975200-1490473720.jpg