US Army berets - blue, black, green, maroon, tan...

BEAST

Great catch.I would never have guessed a military academy. PATCHES, That was a great movie, a lot of goof young actors.

Yeah, believe it or not I seen it at the Ft Wainwright Post Theater, me and a few platoon buddies went. Lots of applause from the audience when that Father showed up at the gate, and has some snappy pro Army lines, you know Timothy Hutton's Father, the Active Duty Arty M/Sgt.

post-34986-0-88996400-1460315447.jpg

That unit, is a real and correct one, 19th Artillery, 5th Infantry Division (Mech), which would make it the 1st Battalion 19th Artillery.

firefighter

Yeah, believe it or not I seen it at the Ft Wainwright Post Theater, me and a few platoon buddies went. Lots of applause from the audience when that Father showed up at the gate, and has some snappy pro Army lines, you know Timothy Hutton's Father, the Active Duty Arty M/Sgt.

attachicon.gif120557.jpg

That unit, is a real and correct one, 19th Artillery, 5th Infantry Division (Mech), which would make it the 1st Battalion 19th Artillery.

I bet that was a popular movie, especially at Fort Polk. It was put a year before I joined.

• 3 weeks later...
firefighter

I would say brown. The one female MP is wearing her class-A greens and it doesn't seem to match that or the black female head gear on the other female.Would love to know what the flash and insignia are on them.Not all the MP's are wearing badges.

Brown (?) berets worn by members of the 526th MP Detachment - Ft. Greely, Alaska, circa 1976.

Sure why not, the Brown or OD as it really called, was a standard in AK then, in the 172nd Inf Bde (Sep), and probaly sub units of US Army Alaska, a organization this MP unit no doubt fell under.

Brown (?) berets worn by members of the 526th MP Detachment - Ft. Greely, Alaska, circa 1976.

Yeah, like FF said

post-34986-0-62386000-1462034249.jpg

Don't think it's this, the Teddy Bear PTC, though a first I thought it might of been it.

post-34986-0-66657000-1462034081.jpg

Sure why not, the Brown or OD as it really called, was a standard in AK then, in the 172nd Inf Bde (Sep), and probaly sub units of US Army Alaska, a organization this MP unit no doubt fell under.

Yeah disregard that USARAL. By 1976 the unit was under the 172nd LIB.

USARAL was discontinued as a major subordinate command on Dec. 31. 1974. and the 172nd Infantry Brigade (Alaska). headquartered at Fort Richardson. assumed command and control, reporting to Forces Command at Fort McPherson. Ga.

And here's the beret itself.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15165-post-nam-khaki-beret/

A guy who served with 6/68th Armor (that's the unit below) confirmed that the pic was taken in the early 80s. I guess Reserve units did indeed get away with this for a while.

xtWNnNj.jpg

post-34986-0-73974100-1462420920.jpg

Great photo of one Art Balomenos of the 10th Ranger Company, 45th Infantry Division, with the Black Beret. Pretty sure this photo was taken at Fort Polk Louisiana in the summer of 1951, the 10th Ranger would go to Japan with the 45th Inf Div, but was inactivated there in Oct 51. That beret looks kind of civilian-ish right, like Pierre would wear in Gay Paree.

I'm assuming the oval is that Yellow border with Black center.

attachicon.gifBalomenosArthurC.JPG

Great photo of one Art Balomenos of the 10th Ranger Company, 45th Infantry Division, with the Black Beret. Pretty sure this photo was taken at Fort Polk Louisiana in the summer of 1951, the 10th Ranger would go to Japan with the 45th Inf Div, but was inactivated there in Oct 51. That beret looks kind of civilian-ish right, like Pierre would wear in Gay Paree.

I'm assuming the oval is that Yellow border with Black center.

Excellent find; thanks for that. 10th Company wound up in 187th Airborne I think(?).

sgtdorango

Ah this explains the recent photos i found of airborne troops with the 45th patch or 45th insignia on jump helmets, gotta recheck pics....mike

Excellent find; thanks for that. 10th Company wound up in 187th Airborne I think(?).

Probably, as with a lot of the members of the inactivated Ranger Companies, here they would be interspersed within the 187th RCT I would think.

seanmc1114

Black beret with a 51st Infantry Regiment DUI worn by a soldier of the 2nd Battalion 51st Infantry 4th Armored Division in Germany - 1967

post-1761-0-61729500-1462845384.jpg

Black beret with a 51st Infantry Regiment DUI worn by a soldier of the 2nd Battalion 51st Infantry 4th Armored Division in Germany - 1967

I wonder why the Black Beret, perhaps a member of the Battalion Recon Platoon, and this unit affected the wear of the Black beret like their Vietnam based counterparts??

• 2 weeks later...
lakenormanusa

Forum members IDed this photo from the early to mid 70's,

2nd Bn./502nd Inf./101st Airborne Div.

post-125711-0-20174800-1463546727.jpg

• 2 months later...

Basic training cadre and graduates from the Armor School at Fort Knox wearing berets in 1976. In the first picture they look like red berets but in the second they look like black berets.

post-1761-0-46234300-1469284278.jpg

post-1761-0-56609500-1469284279.jpg

Basic training cadre and graduates from the Armor School at Fort Knox wearing berets in 1976. In the first picture they look like red berets but in the second they look like black berets.

Good photo Sean, it shows that the wear of the Black Beret, at least within the Armor/Armored Cavalry, was truly a Branch thing, and not a unit thing, meaning that these trainees would be wearing the normal garrison cap, and it would be only when they got to their permanent party unit that they would start wearing the beret. Likewise the cadre, since they are not members of a Tank or Armd Cav Regt TO&E unit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I picked up this beret which looks like one of those 70s era 172nd Infantry Brigade OD or brown berets worn in Alaska. However I have no reference for this flash so was wondering if it might be a ROTC beret.

post-1389-0-77703700-1477675674.jpg

post-1389-0-40793700-1477675686.jpg

• 1 month later...