US Army berets - blue, black, green, maroon, tan...

BEAST

Here are the deleted photobucket pictures from the earlier post. Found this beret in an on-base thrift store a few years back.

post-10825-0-06770600-1445610619.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

This sold recently on ebay (along with a pair of RVN jump wings) for the princely sum of $185 USD. Is it Vietnam or a 70s armored beret? The DI is for Division G-2 section:

attachicon.gifberet 32.JPG

attachicon.gifberet 35 2.jpg

attachicon.gifberet 33.JPG

post-257-0-36692100-1423470057.jpg

I,m guessing, RVN Jump Wings that came with it notwithstanding, that this is a 70s beret for a 2nd Brigade 1st Cav Div Staff Officer

I found this maroon beret today at the local gun show....very well made flash and DI badge of the Arctic Warriors....does anyone have any further info on it and when used?...i did a quick google and found it mentioned as Alaska unit.....thanks...mike

attachicon.gifPicture 2073272463.jpg

Found it Dorango, see there's that White Alaska Manchu helmet again :D

post-350-0-24005300-1427675216.jpg

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/HeraldryMulti.aspx?CategoryId=8622&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services

So dates from the 80s-early 2000s

I,m guessing, RVN Jump Wings that came with it notwithstanding, that this is a 70s beret for a 2nd Brigade 1st Cav Div Staff Officer

Actually I think it was the LRRP company in Vietnam. I do know that the Cav's LRRP company originally was called "LRRP Detachment G2".

Here's a great one I just found, Riggers of USAEUR's 5th Quartermaster Detachment Aeriel Delivery during the 1976 REFORGER.

post-34986-0-49112600-1448341054.jpg

Not sure on what the flash looks like, looks like it might be a solid Buff for the Quartermaster Corps. But did find this flash, not sure if it's the same one that would of been worn by the 5th QM Det AD in the early unauthorized Beret period.

post-34986-0-62652800-1448341088.jpg

The DI on the flash we know at least would be the U.S. Army Europe Non Color Bearing Unit DI.

post-34986-0-49330200-1448341103.jpg

Of note is the German Army Jump Wings worn by the one on the left without headgear, the German Army Jump Wings here still being worn in full color at this late date of 1976.

OK, I got this recently and would like some opinions. It has the vent grommets seen on older berets. It has a US Cavalry label but I note that their store was outside of Fort Knox from 1973, so I think this beret may date to the 70s.

The flash was used by 3/73 Armor and its successor 4/68 Armor, both of the 82nd Airborne, but they wore maroon berets. It also was worn by 6/68th Armor on their black berets. It's identical to a 6/68 beret except for the MP crossed pistols, which I think would point toward a divison or brigade MP element, assuming that this is an armored beret, such as the 1st Cavalry Divison who wore black berets* as did the 194th Armored Brigade. Green and yellow are also branch colors for Military Police. But what other armored formations had an MP platoon or company?

What do you think? I'm hoping this isn't some ROTC or State Militia thing.

*1st Cav's different colored berets didn't last long, and were standardized to black for all units

post-257-0-45639500-1448615317.jpg

This one (below) I saw on ebay and I'm starting to think that these berets were put together and sold by US Cavalry.

post-257-0-03969400-1448615497.jpg

This one (below) I saw on ebay and I'm starting to think that these berets were put together and sold by US Cavalry.

attachicon.gifberet.jpg

How do mean Page, they added both Flash, random different flashes and then applied corresponding Officer BOS', or just the Officer BOS'?

How do mean Page, they added both Flash, random different flashes and then applied corresponding Officer BOS', or just the Officer BOS'?

Upon my inquiry the seller said she texted the "family member" who originally owned it and he said he was in the "1st Cavalry". When I inquired as to which unit, the response was "It was obtained in 1987 or 1986... Ft. Knox Kentucky. He does not remember what unit he was in. Sorry, I wish I had better info for you."

Don't you just hate that when you can't remember what unit you were in?

post-34986-0-01658800-1448860493.jpg

Here's a Black AF one worn by Technical Sergeant Harry M. Cohen in 1969, unadorned except the metal Master Jump Wings.

He died in the line of duty a freak accident at Utapao AFB, Thailand.

19 July 1969 - TECHNICAL SERGEANT HARRY M. COHEN. At Detachment 12, 38th ARRS, Utapao AFB, Thailand, an HH-43 Huskie is scrambled in response to a bomber emergency during a heavy rainstorm. The crew includes Technical Sergeant Cohen and Staff Sergeant Tommy Miles, pararescue men/firefighters. The bomber has aborted a heavyweight takeoff and has run off the end of the runway, its forward gear collapsing and catching the aircraft on fire. The Huskie approaches the nose of the bomber, hovers momentarily, then proceeds to hover three or four hundred yards from the scene. The crew is unable to get confirmation that the bomber's tail-gunner cleared the wreckage so they return to the scene. They make a fly-by, clockwise around the tail of the bomber at about 200 feet, and are westbound at approximately 500 to 600 feet from the bomber when the bombs explode. Shrapnel and debris tear the rotor system from the helicopter and it crashes, killing the pilot and Sergeant Cohen. Miraculously, Tommy Miles survives with massive life-threatening injuries, but after extensive surgery he returns to pararescue duty and eventually retires after a long and successful career.

I have a photo of a New Jersey National Guard soldier wearing the black beret, red and white flash with crossed sabers in the flash. It was from the late 70's 80's era and was normally worn by reconnaissance or scout units. Obviously not official.

I have a photo of a New Jersey National Guard soldier wearing the black beret, red and white flash with crossed sabers in the flash. It was from the late 70's 80's era and was normally worn by reconnaissance or scout units. Obviously not official.

Interesting. Can you post it?

Sgt. Earl Kalani of the 77th Special Forces Group - 1955

Great picture. I think the 1st I have ever seen of someone wear the 77th SF DI's.Is he wearing the airborne school/command patch and enlisted unassigned bos?

Great picture. I think the 1st I have ever seen of someone wear the 77th SF DI's.Is he wearing the airborne school/command patch and enlisted unassigned bos?

Yes he is wearing the Airborne Command patch and the unassigned branch

Black beret worn with a Ranger tab and what I believe is the Recruiting Command DUI by SSG David A. Hack. Notice the photo caption. Does that mean he specifically recruited for inductees who would volunteer for the Rangers?

post-1761-0-03672500-1449932709.jpg

post-1761-0-85580600-1449932709.jpg

Here's a great one I just found, Riggers of USAEUR's 5th Quartermaster Detachment Aeriel Delivery during the 1976 REFORGER.

attachicon.gifphphxbk7TPM.jpg

Not sure on what the flash looks like, looks like it might be a solid Buff for the Quartermaster Corps. But did find this flash, not sure if it's the same one that would of been worn by the 5th QM Det AD in the early unauthorized Beret period.

attachicon.gifphpBvy8sNPM.jpg

The DI on the flash we know at least would be the U.S. Army Europe Non Color Bearing Unit DI.

attachicon.gifUSAEUR.jpg

Of note is the German Army Jump Wings worn by the one on the left without headgear, the German Army Jump Wings here still being worn in full color at this late date of 1976.

My reference materials indicate that the Flash & Oval worn by the 5th QM Det. during this period would have been the solid light blue of the Infantry Center and School. There were 2 more designs between the solid blue and the current design.

There is some debate / confusion as to actual use of type I I & III before the use of type IV.

Black beret worn with a Ranger tab and what I believe is the Recruiting Command DUI by SSG David A. Hack. Notice the photo caption. Does that mean he specifically recruited for inductees who would volunteer for the Rangers?

A real curious one, note it say D as middle initial. We see he's got a respectable rack, but no way he got them as a Recruiter in Nam. As usual Hack is probably listed in the last or second tour as a Recruiter, clearly he served before there. MOS unknown. Can't say why the beret either, strange.

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: HACK DAVID D

Branch: ARMY

Rate: E06

MOS: 00E

MOS Title: Recruiter And Career Counselor

Entered: 6004

Discharged: 730813

Service Number:

State: ARIZONA

Race: CAUCASIAN

OH OH.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?s=89c33e36b9a34d7e3a5ad1bbf98d9806&t=28239&highlight=David+Hack

A real curious one, note it say D as middle initial. We see he's got a respectable rack, but no way he got them as a Recruiter in Nam. As usual Hack is probably listed in the last or second tour as a Recruiter, clearly he served before there. MOS unknown. Can't say why the beret either, strange.

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: HACK DAVID D

Branch: ARMY

Rate: E06

MOS: 00E

MOS Title: Recruiter And Career Counselor

Entered: 6004

Discharged: 730813

Service Number:

State: ARIZONA

Race: CAUCASIAN

OH OH.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?s=89c33e36b9a34d7e3a5ad1bbf98d9806&t=28239&highlight=David+Hack

In actuality, he did earn those awards as a recruiter in Vietnam. He was assigned to the 1st Administration Company of the 1st Infantry Division as an Army Career Counselor (MOS 00E4E) and was wounded in a rocket attack on his base camp at Lai Khe. Also note that in the photo he is wearing the ribbons of the Coast Guard Commendation and Good Conduct Medals from a previous stint in the Coast Guard.

Here is a link to his website: http://sgthack.com/

He seems to have had a very interesting career.

post-1761-0-07147300-1450039997.jpg

post-1761-0-92960000-1450040098.jpg

Here's Sgt. Hack from the previous post earlier in his career when he served as a small craft operator assigned to the Florida phase of the Army's Ranger course at Eglin AFB in 1965. He was given the assignment when he joined the Army based on his prior service in the Coast Guard. Even though he never attended the Ranger course or earned the Ranger tab, note he is wearing the tab on his beret over what I believe is The Infantry School DUI.

post-1761-0-32000900-1450040507.jpg

Here are 2 NJ National Guard members, not sure if 102nd Armor/Cav or 117th Cavalry from the early 1980's Obviously one is wearing a Canadian beret and for what reason I do not know.

post-20824-0-17217400-1450046715.jpg