US Army berets - blue, black, green, maroon, tan...

BEAST

I found this maroon beret today at the local gun show....very well made flash and DI badge of the Arctic Warriors....does anyone have any further info on it and when used?...i did a quick google and found it mentioned as Alaska unit.....thanks...mike

post-350-0-24005300-1427675216.jpg

Here's another 172nd Infantry Brigade soldier wearing an olive drab beret mid-70's. Info with the picture says he was Bravo Company 1/60th Infantry.

post-1761-0-97622700-1427928852.jpg

Another great find of two photos the 70s Armd/Armd Cav Black Beret being worn by the same guy, one in a field setting the other in Class As.

post-34986-0-07504000-1428520493.jpg

post-34986-0-62625600-1428520585.jpg

A GI by the name of Lopez 2nd ACR West Germany circa 1977-78.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is anyone aware of the possible changing of the 101st Airborne's beret to black from the Airborne Maroon beret? I heard this is because they are Air Assault. Has this been in effect for some time or just recently?

D

VolunteerArmoury

Is anyone aware of the possible changing of the 101st Airborne's beret to black from the Airborne Maroon beret? I heard this is because they are Air Assault. Has this been in effect for some time or just recently?

D

I've never known the 101st to wear maroon berets only blue ones in the 1970s & black berets since we adopted them Army wide in 2001. All other times were the garrison cap with the glider patch sewn on. There may've been an exception of the LRS guys but I don't think even the last conventional airborne guys in the division wore maroon berets. Another exception I thought of were the MFO berets.

After writing that I found another exception, the Pathfinders wore maroon berets evidently according to this: http://archive.armytimes.com/article/20140109/NEWS/301090008/End-an-era-101st-Paratroopers-lose-jump-status-heritage-patch-remain

I've never known the 101st to wear maroon berets only blue ones in the 1970s & black berets since we adopted them Army wide in 2001. All other times were the garrison cap with the glider patch sewn on. There may've been an exception of the LRS guys but I don't think even the last conventional airborne guys in the division wore maroon berets. Another exception I thought of were the MFO berets.

After writing that I found another exception, the Pathfinders wore maroon berets evidently according to this: http://archive.armytimes.com/article/20140109/NEWS/301090008/End-an-era-101st-Paratroopers-lose-jump-status-heritage-patch-remain

I was not aware of that. Thanks for the information. Are the 82nd Airborne, 173rd Airborne Brigade and the XVIII Airborne Corps still authorized to wear maroon berets?

D

VolunteerArmoury

I was not aware of that. Thanks for the information. Are the 82nd Airborne, 173rd Airborne Brigade and the XVIII Airborne Corps still authorized to wear maroon berets?

D

Of course. Look up anything on maroon berets & you'll quickly see that those are. It is an organisational headgear. I believe it's talked about in this or another topic on here. There are plenty of other units authorised maroon berets. I was in the XVIIIth for a couple weeks & medevaced soon after we changed units. When stateside I was told to wear that insignia & beret since I was still technically assigned even though I was never jump qualled

Of course. Look up anything on maroon berets & you'll quickly see that those are. It is an organisational headgear. I believe it's talked about in this or another topic on here. There are plenty of other units authorised maroon berets. I was in the XVIIIth for a couple weeks & medevaced soon after we changed units. When stateside I was told to wear that insignia & beret since I was still technically assigned even though I was never jump qualled

Thanks for the additional info. Are the 101st authorized to wear the black beret while in ACUs? I know that Infantry Divisions and non-Rangers/Green Berets/Airborne are only authorized to wear the Patrol Cap but is there an exception to the 101st?

JerseyDevil117

They do wear the black berets in acu's. But only during change of command ceremonies. Just like everyone else in the regular army that is not a airborne, ranger or sf.

They do wear the black berets in acu's. But only during change of command ceremonies. Just like everyone else in the regular army that is not a airborne, ranger or sf.

So during Change of Command Ceremonies they wear black berets in ACUs but otherwise they wear Patrol Caps?

I thought they might've made an exception because they're 101st Airborne and would authorize wear of Berets in ACUs all the time.

Thanks for the info

D

• 1 month later...

Hi

I found this beret today. It's a newer DSCP beret. Can someone help identify the patch?

I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I was trying to find info on berets and I found this thread. I appreciate any help

Thank you

post-2002-0-59289100-1438451915.jpg

Was checking through this thread, saw an old army buddy of mine in the "Moatengator Mascot" picture. SGT Paul Ford, the troop on the right holding the M16 was a team mate of mine in 5th Special Forces Group. He's a picture of us taken w/ the team in 1978. Also looked at a lot of pictures, which reminded me of why we cut the liners out. LOL! SKIP

Paul Ford &  SKIP 001.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's a soldier of the 4th Infantry Regiment wearing the 4th's cloth DUI on a black beret with pin on rank insignia. I'm guessing he served with the 1st Battalion 4th Infantry in the mid-90's when the unit was assigned as the Opposing Force at the Combat Maneuver Training Center at Hohenfels, Germany.

post-1761-0-64678200-1443548969.jpg

Here's a soldier of the 4th Infantry Regiment wearing the 4th's cloth DUI on a black beret with pin on rank insignia. I'm guessing he served with the 1st Battalion 4th Infantry in the mid-90's when the unit was assigned as the Opposing Force at the Combat Maneuver Training Center at Hohenfels, Germany.

I saw this picture before.Thought it was kind of odd.With the rank on the beret and as an official picture.Would not have thought as an OPFOR.

Here's a maroon beret with flash and pin on rank worn by a member of the 1st Battalion 509th Infantry of the Southern European Task Force in 1975

post-1761-0-78223300-1444071807.jpg

Great picture.I assume the badge on his right pocket is this:

3rdZouaves.JPG

http://www.509thgeronimo.org/insignia/3rd_zouave_regiment_badge_early/izouaves.html

With this being on his left.

post-34986-0-46659700-1444102260.jpg

The Allied Mobile Force badge, an interesting one in itself given there's no real info I've seen on it, and the numerous variations one sees IE Cloth, Metal, Hanger/Fob. Yeah lots a questions.

Great picture.I assume the badge on his right pocket is this:

3rdZouaves.JPG

http://www.509thgeronimo.org/insignia/3rd_zouave_regiment_badge_early/izouaves.html

With this being on his left.

attachicon.gif7y.jpg

The Allied Mobile Force badge, an interesting one in itself given there's no real info I've seen on it, and the numerous variations one sees IE Cloth, Metal, Hanger/Fob. Yeah lots a questions.

Here's a couple of soldiers from the 509th mid-1970s wearing the Zouaves and Allied Mobile Forces badges on the pockets of their khakis.

post-1761-0-36268400-1444146151.jpg

Hi

I found this beret today. It's a newer DSCP beret. Can someone help identify the patch?

I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I was trying to find info on berets and I found this thread. I appreciate any help

Thank you

I know some college ROTC units have what they call "Ranger detachments" or something similar. I wonder if that's what it could be?

Back in 1980-81 when I came in there was a Ranger company that was part of the 197th Infantry Brigade at Fort Benning. IIRC they wore the black beret with a similar flash except that I think it was black and gold, not black and white. It had the same diagonal divide though.

I'm not sure about this one. He's wearing an Armored Division SSI and his togetherweserved.com profile shows he was on active duty from 1959 to 1962 and served with the 3rd Armored Division and V Corps Provisional LRRP Company.

https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=Profile&type=Person&ID=76767

post-1761-0-84378600-1444484504.jpg

I'm not sure about this one. He's wearing an Armored Division SSI and his togetherweserved.com profile shows he was on active duty from 1959 to 1962 and served with the 3rd Armored Division and V Corps Provisional LRRP Company.

https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=Profile&type=Person&ID=76767

That's very interesting; I am reading that the 3rd AD did have a LRRP detachment from 1959-60.

Any ideas about this one? It appears to be a standard black beret but it looks like it has some sort of dark blue cloth square rather than a flash and a very large DUI. The picture was found on a vetfriends.com page for the 388th Medical Battalion. He also appears to have an armored triangle over his left breast pocket.

post-1761-0-37770100-1445089220.jpg

post-1761-0-41010500-1445089365.jpg

Any ideas about this one? It appears to be a standard black beret but it looks like it has some sort of dark blue cloth square rather than a flash and a very large DUI. The picture was found on a vetfriends.com page for the 388th Medical Battalion. He also appears to have an armored triangle over his left breast pocket.

Looks like either a Canadian or British Army cap badge, on a Black Tank Corps beret and flash, if so then cross training, allied troops at Hood with the 2nd Armd Div? or 2nd Armd Div troops over there, with the old posing with the other guy's cap.