Made in England 1930 - 37 Pattern EGAs

bobgee

These all came to me at the same time. Unfortunately singles. Believe one Marine. They all were struck from the same die. The service emblems are in a rich chocolate brown color. Note the dress has been 'trenched', the globe nicely stippled. It's interesting to speculate on where they were obtained by the user back in the 1930s. With a heavy Brit influence in China they been for sale there. Or they may have been offerred in stateside PXs. Maybe someone knows...Enjoy.

Semper Fi....Bob

1930_37_gooneys.jpg

1930_37_gooneys_back.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Hi Bob, that stempling is very seldom seen (posted mine for comparison, Brig has the its mate). I presume it is hallmarked "made in England". The jeweler's rouge was used by many who wanted to give their dress emblems a high polish and remove scratches... I think it also gave themselves a "salty appearance"... remember those days :)

post_503_1184722078.jpg

1926_droop_wing_made_in_england_013.jpg

Yes.....all three marked 'Made in England'. The last pic on the right shows the markings on the gilt emblem. Are the same on all three pieces.

S/F......Bob

Bob,

A quick question? Are the rollers rolled all the way out so the emblems will sit on a scanner bed or are they rolled in tight? If rolled in tight, all three emblems would have pretty short screw posts, so I would maybe guess the short o/s cap screw posts on the bronze service emblems, but no idea on why such a short screw post on the dress emblem. Nice ones!

s/f, Gary

I don't have its mate, I have it's red headed step child...the service jacket emblem. Anytime you want to reunite them, just let me know and I'd buy it. Would go nicely the the man's souveneirs and belt buckle. :Dthumbsup.gif

Gary.....The rollers are all the way out to balance them on the scanner. The posts seem normal to me.

S/F........Bob 1644187/0-104109

Bob,

I wasn't sure, but thought that could be a possible explanation for two identical service lefties.

My-my, that's a pretty "old" service number! :D What was your enl. date? 1956-1957? What was your commission date, you old mustang, you... sir!?!

s/f, Gary

Gary..........I think they got split up. I bought them as I recall from a non-military antique dealer here in Texas. Got some 1930s service hat ornaments as well.

I enlisted USMC Sept 1956......received a USMCR commission in 1967.

Semper Fi.......Bob

• 11 months later...

Here's a pair of Goonies in my collection. I got them as singles, they do not match. On the left is the bird from the small China Marine grouping I got last year, Byrle C Williby's. Darrel, this is the one that went with the stipled dress bird I'm still trying to convince you to part with ;) . Has the roller and is stamped 'Made in England', probably by Gaunt, on the rear of the anchor.

The second I just got in, and is slightly different. Appears to be a slightly different metal content by the patina, and was at one time finished in black, whereas the other has no signs of ever having a finish. This one's stamp is also there, but much lighter.

English_Goonies_Front.JPG

English_Goonies_Rear.JPG

teufelhunde.ret
Darrel, this is the one that went with the stipled dress bird I'm still trying to convince you to part with ;) . Has the roller and is stamped 'Made in England', probably by Gaunt, on the rear of the anchor.

You have first right of refusal when the time comes.

And now both you and I are looking for the same right collar crying.gif

post_376_1190744727.jpg

post_376_1190744753.jpg