Fire Bronze N.S. Meyer Droopy Collars

bobgee

Rooting around I came across this nice pair of Meyer Shield Fire Bronze screw-post matched set. Missing the screws. They are close to officer quality but I can't tell if the continents are very thin and applied or stamped Can't tell from inside. A very pleasing set of insignia that Gen. Pace might wear. I would if I thought I could get away with it!

Semper Fi......Bob

NS_Meyer_Fire_Bronze_Collars_REV.JPG

enlisted_fire_bronze_gooney.jpg

Bob,

Man-o-man, you're killing me with the quality emblems you've been showing! A very nice set of Fire Bronze emblems that I personally think are officer quality. I don't actually buy into the common belief of applied continents for officer vs. non applied continents for EM. There are plenty of the stamped or non applied continent emblems out there from the 1930's that are private purchase quality, so my honest guess on these is a straight up officer set. Measurements will tell though. My guess is your emblems are larger than the standard EM patterns from the same period? Those are beauties! I would seriously be thinking about robbing a couple of the 1930's Army officer emblems of their rollers for these.

Another case of stamped continents is this officer's cover emblem. No hallmark, but I'm betting it was made by H&H in the 1930's. It has the exact same finish as the later M1936 "spread legged, tall bird" H&H emblems and so far, I haven't found any other makers that used this finishing process. This emblem screams of 1930's, so I'm wondering if some of the makers produced less expensive emblems for officer private purchase during the Depression?

s/f, Gary

post-84-1184741034.jpg

post-84-1184741048.jpg

Actually they are the same size as my other droopy wings. The pic is deceiving.

S/F......Bob 1644187

teufelhunde.ret

Appears we need to do some research on the matter of applied continents and so forth. I do not have my ref materials at my side at this moment... do recall reading at some time pre WW1, uniform reg's were changed to stipulate applied continents for dress and service uniform/covers. I would doubt that decision would have been reversed.

Nonetheless the question of Officer quality emblems is pertinent. I do believe there were suppliers of these (as show in Bob's post) for private purchase. And have seen enough to think these should be considered in the category of "rare" birds. You might recall the K.C. Luke emblem w/o applied continents that Tim Brig posted some time ago.

The topic needs to be explored fully for future reference. Have attached photo of the "fire bronze" Officer version for comparison.

BTW; seeking a mate for my bird

1926_officers_fire_bronze_001.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

I have concluded these makers were making less expensive versions, and somewhere the lines of private purchase and Officer quality were likely blurred if for no other reason than cost.

Nonetheless, the uniform reg's of 1922 called for "accurately proportioned and clearly outlined continents of North and South America in raised surfaces with nine parallels of latitude terminating at the continents". While there exists some contradiction as to the interpretation of "clearly outlined" meant, applied continents became more prevalent than ever before. These sort of emblems were clearly more expensive, than those with plain and or stamped "raised surfaces".

From the early 1900's makers were offering applied surfaces as depicted on the attached Gaunt emblem from 1908. Thus one can conclude that prior to the 1950 each maker embellished their emblems with some latitude of creativity... insofar as the emblem meet with the prescribed dimensions and size as outlined in the uniform reg's of that period, therefore we see in the end an incredible variety of emblems. And ironically, it maybe all about cost afterall think.gif

gaunt_1904.jpg

• 4 years later...

My wife found this one when I was in CAX...one bent pin, and one broken one, but it went cheap enough. Stamped 'Fire Bronze' on the wing, and nothing else, but an obvious NS Meyers design. Interestingly, it doesn't appear to ever have had applied continents, so I think it's similar to the H&H private purchase M-26 enlisted variant, and believe this to be a private purchase enlisted as well

Nothing spectacular, but it's hard to pass on Fire Bronze for a good price

101_0923.JPG