Strange Bird!

bobgee

Here's a strange bird that I've owned for many years. Weird looking, beautifully die-stuck screw-post bronze EGA. It measures 1 3/4' tall and 1 1/2" from wing tip to tip. It looks too ungainly to be a sweetheart pin but maybe that's what it was intended for. But why a screwpost? Anybody seen one of these before? All comments welcome.

Semper Fi.....Bob

gaunt_sweetheart.jpg

gaunt_sweetheart_back.jpg

Could it have been used on a older version of the NCO belt buckle? Those have screwback EGA's:

usmcbuckle.jpg

Could it have been used on a older version of the NCO belt buckle? Those have screwback EGA's:

usmcbuckle.jpg

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks....Bob

Bob,

I'm fairly certain these were strictly "sweetheart" emblems from the WWII period. It looks like someone added the screw post to yours sometime during WWII or later? The steel roller is what's found on Econo Plastic and Econo-Lead Army EM visor emblems and Econo-Lead Marine emblems of that period. At one time, I also had an identical emblem that was gold washed with silver highlights over a sterling base emblem with pin back that I either sold or traded off.

Here is an identical piece, without the added screw post.

s/f, Gary

post-84-1184742927.jpg

post-84-1184742941.jpg

Bob,

I'm fairly certain these were strictly "sweetheart" emblems from the WWII period. It looks like someone added the screw post to yours sometime during WWII or later? The steel roller is what's found on Econo Plastic and Econo-Lead Army EM visor emblems and Econo-Lead Marine emblems of that period. At one time, I also had an identical emblem that was gold washed with silver highlights over a sterling base emblem with pin back that I either sold or traded off.

Here is an identical piece, without the added screw post.

s/f, Gary

Thanks Gary

Seeing yours without any pin or other means to attach suggests that these were struck and intended to be affixed to something else, non-reg of course but weren't. Maybe someone has one finished and commercially attached to something.

S/F.........Bob

• 4 years later...