Odd story - Suspect US Army "Indian Air Corps" CAA wings

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

The following article appeared in our local newspaper, The News and Advance, Lynchburg, VA on Friday, July 13, 2007. I would be interested in any information concerning the wing, the US Army Indian Air Corps or the soldier in question, Salvador Christopher Martinez. Thank you in advance for any possible help.

post-5-1184707792.jpg

post-5-1184707804.jpg

Well, it is almost identical to the wing below:

post-182-1184714016.jpg

Without the "CAA War Training Service" around the Indian Head. It is Flight Instructor's wing. I have never seen a variation like this before, nor have I ever hear of an Indian Air Force, which is not to say there wasn't one

Paul

Wow, what a story, it sounds to me like someone was trying to impress a girl and then make himself disappear. The wings are a little odd in that normally in the area around the indian head, where the leaves are, it usually says CAA at the top and War Training Service at the bottom. They were worn by civilian flight instructors during WWII. They have nothing to do with indians or the Civil Air Patrol. They were worn by civilians working for the Civil Aeronautics Authority. There was also a hat badge and collar insignia. They are shown in the books Wings of WWII by Russell Huff and Pilot's Wings of the United States 1913 - 1995 by Philip Martin and also the website ww2wings.com. All show them with the lettering around the indian though.

Yep it's a BS article. he probably trimmed up one of these to get the wings by themselves (in fact if you look at the newspaper photo you can see parts of the circle still showing - he didn't trim it very close):

caa.jpg

caa2.jpg

I wonder if the woman's son is BSing or the vet was

Hard to say: this story has more holes than the US Open. The soldier obviously laid out some big BS presenting the cut up CAA wings as being some sort of Indian air corps. The son sounds seriously confused: someone probably clued him in on the CAA but he didn't listen with both ears and now presents a half-baked story.

Having been a newspaper editor and reporter, I don't understand why the newspaper would even run some third hand story like this.

Oh well, gotta go - saw me one of them there CAA medals on ebay and I gotta buy it, trim off the CAA part and resell it as an extremely rare Indian Air Corps medal before someone else beats me to it. Then when I make all that money, I'm gonna get me a bottle of Jack Daniels and drink a toast to Mr. Salvador Christopher Martinez for his inspirational story.

Hard to say: this story has more holes than the US Open. The soldier obviously laid out some big BS presenting the cut up CAA wings as being some sort of Indian air corps. The son sounds seriously confused: someone probably clued him in on the CAA but he didn't listen with both ears and now presents a half-baked story.

Having been a newspaper editor and reporter, I don't understand why the newspaper would even run some third hand story like this.

Oh well, gotta go - saw me one of them there CAA medals on ebay and I gotta buy it, trim off the CAA part and resell it as an extremely rare Indian Air Corps medal before someone else beats me to it. Then when I make all that money, I'm gonna get me a bottle of Jack Daniels and drink a toast to Mr. Salvador Christopher Martinez for his inspirational story.

:lol: The News & Advance is my local paper as well, and unfortunately, is not very scholarly. I'm not surprised they would run this kind of story. I stopped reading the paper some time ago, opting for the New York Times as my source of news.

Beau

Just e-mailed the managing editor of the News & Advance with this information, so hopefully, these folks won't continue searching for this sleezebag.

craig_pickrall

Great job guys. Many thanks! I figured the GI was looking for a one night stand and she was looking for a much longer relationship. I didn't know anything about this particular wing though. You did a great job of providing that info.

During WW2 Lynchburg had a fairly well known and upscale red light district. THey used to ferry bus loads of GI's here every weekend from Camp Pickett.

I think maybe the son is part of the BS story too. He is the one saying there are only three of these wings known to exist and one is in a SC museum.

I think maybe the son is part of the BS story too. He is the one saying there are only three of these wings known to exist and one is in a SC museum.

Gee that newspaper story should provide a great amount of credibility if he decides to list those rare wings on ebay.

Of course there's a chance we were mistaken and that there is in fact a Indian Air Force:

homepage_head.gif

The Indian Air Force is or was part of the British Royal Air Force.

That's the one you're showing here and has nothing to do with Native Americans.

Erwin

Guest Photographer

Beingn Native American my self I can atest to the fact there is an Indian Air Force. Hasn't anyone ever heard of BUFFALO WINGS. LOL

The Indian Air Force is or was part of the British Royal Air Force.

That's the one you're showing here and has nothing to do with Native Americans.

Erwin

I think he was making a joke

The Buffalo Wings did crack me up. thumbsup.gif

This is what I found out so far:

The Indian Air Force was officially established on 8 October 1932.Its first ac flight came into being on 01 Apr 1933. It possessed a strength of six Cherokee officers and 19 Havai Sepoys (literally, air soldiers). The aircraft inventory comprised of four Wapiti IIA army co-operation biplanes as the "A" Flight nucleus of the planned No.1 (Army Co- operation) Squadron.

During the war years, the steady expansion of the IAF had placed all emphasis on army co-operation and tactical reconnaissance; it had continued to fly ageing equipment as the Thunderbolt and Mosquito were being inducted in large numbers by other Allied forces and it had, in consequence, suffered a sense of equipment inferiority. Nevertheless, assigned the least glamorous of tasks and flying obsolescent equipment, the Service established traditions of courage and efficiency second to none; its personnel had been awarded 22 Distinguished Flying Crosses and a host of other decorations.

Hope this helps.

Erwin

Yep it's a BS article. he probably trimmed up one of these to get the wings by themselves (in fact if you look at the newspaper photo you can see parts of the circle still showing - he didn't trim it very close):

post-214-1184716551.jpg

post-214-1184723129.jpg

Great catch! I missed this, even thought I have one of these hat badges displayed right above the wing! Shame if he cut up a real cap badge to make this thing, as real ones are a bit uncommon ( and re the article , it's not a medal, it's a badge or pin)

The Buffalo Wings did crack me up. thumbsup.gif

This is what I found out so far:

Hope this helps.

Erwin

I am not sure if you are serious with this quote or not but is refers to the India Indian Air Force. I don't know where the Cherokee came from but Sepoy is an India Indian word and the planes are all British. Perhaps it was written by the same guy that wrote the news paper article.

crazy-monsooner

I am new in this forum. I like to show one of my CAA collection. I think it is Wright brothers version pilot wing. But I don't what is the story behind it. Any information is appreciated. thanks in advance!

CIMG1728.jpg

CIMG1739.jpg

I am new in this forum. I like to show one of my CAA collection. I think it is Wright brothers version pilot wing. But I don't what is the story behind it. Any information is appreciated. thanks in advance!

CIMG1728.jpg

CIMG1739.jpg

That is the first pattern CAA Instructors wing, very uncommon, frequently reproduced

crazy-monsooner
That is the first pattern CAA Instructors wing, very uncommon, frequently reproduced

Dear Paul,

I found some CAA wings have marking "pat. pend". What time period is for these wings with "pat. pend". For my wing, there is no marking except sterling. Do you think my wing is real or reproduced.

thanks

CM