Operation digdeep

forcemanchris

forcemanchris

Over this weekend (22nd/23rd May) the First Special Service Force and Independant War Corrspondent (attached) will be taking part in a sponsored march in full kit following the route of the Grand Union Canal from Hemel to Marsworth (Tring).

The purpose of the march is to raise funds for the FSSF Education Programme and for the Lincolnsfields Childrens Charity - "Children at War" Education Programme (Charity No: 298392)

The programme is located at Lincolnsfields, the site of Bushey Hall - HQ of the 8th USAAF Fighter Command during WWII and is housed in some of the Second World War buildings.

As well as their very important children's education programme which exists to make sure that there are no "Forgotten Heroes", either military or civilian, the project provides a Living History experience for community orginisations and all the programmes are staffed by volunteer period re-enactors and veterans.

The Forties experience, operated by the Lincolnsfiled Children's Charity, is also open to the public on THE LAST SUNDAY OF EVERY MONTH.

Included in the Forties Experience are:

1940 house - Living Room, kitchen, bedroom and hall.

Dig for Victory Garden with seasonal crops, Anderson shelter and livestock for food.

London Blitz Street scene and public shelter.

Militaria Display of uniforms, weapons, medals and artefacts.

Evacuee's classroom in the village hall.

N.A.A.F.I cafe - Period refreshments in a period setting (including sampling of war=time recipes).

WWII Vehicle Ride - Weather permitting.

Contac centre on 01923 233841

Email: [email protected]

or visit our website www.fortiesexperience.co.uk

Lincolnsfields Centre, Bushey Hall Drive, Bushey Herts, WD23 2ES

Photos to follow...

The final collection raised not in yet, but I have just sorted what I think are the best photos (and don't show my fat belly cough):

1-4.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-2.jpg

5-3.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

8.jpg

Halfway there at the public house on the canal (Chris, what's it's name again?)

12.jpg

13-1.jpg

After a few refreshments, we pitched out pup tents:

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

And settle in for the night....

The next morning all ablusions taken care of, breaking camp, and saying our goobyes to some new found frineds and headed off...

This day (Sunday) was the hottest it turned out, and them wool shirts didn't help (even though I opted for the poplin mountain pants the next day "suffered for my art" wearing an original wool undershirt), though ditching our heavy packs for the return did help a bit, there was still need for regular stops and stop off points meeting our support vehicle:

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

Words can't really express how much we all enjoyed this, even though we cursed each other and ourselves for takin part in this difficult event at various times....I have to say thanks to everyone for volunteering their time, kitting up in "that auld army woolen stuff" and walking along in such heat...

The walkers:

30.jpg

The man who made it happen, Chris Fomes:

26.jpg

Our collection bucket for putting up wi us and getting pulled along:

31.jpg

A very big thank you to Sam Fomes for getting roped into helping us (yet again :D ) and providing much needed help and support when we needed it the most:

32.jpg

And last but not least I would like to thank "oor Lee" Batten for hiding behind in the background taking the time to visually document this event (Photo of ye please, I only have one of yer arse at the beginning of this thread!)...

Which brings me to conclude, this image says it all for me, and I am sure ye'll agree, thanks Lee:

33.jpg

Excellent photos, most worthy cause, hope you raised plenty of dollars.

I presume "the march" was conducted in true FSSF tradition: "marching quick time at a cadence of 140 steps per minute while maintaining a thirty-inch stride" ?

:thumbsup:

Excellent photos, most worthy cause, hope you raised plenty of dollars.

I presume "the march" was conducted in true FSSF tradition: "marching quick time at a cadence of 140 steps per minute while maintaining a thirty-inch stride" ?

:thumbsup:

Ohhh yeah, absolutely, even the support vehicle...