NickD

Members Reproductions

Note that this is a COLLECTOR'S forum.

There is even an appropriate thread for restored helmets, not to mention the reenactors section.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Note that this is a COLLECTOR'S forum.

There is even an appropriate thread for restored helmets, not to mention the reenactors section.

Cesar, I moved this thread to the right place.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I got a Front seam helmet a while back that had a real bad paint job on it i mean you could see the paint brush strokes on it so i decided to strip it down and try to repaint and re cork it my self and this is the result. so please tell me what you guys think and any ideas to make it better will be welcome.

Hiya mate.

I would gently sand down the cork to flatten it some what, then add another coat or two, of the paint you used originally,then "dirty it up a bit" and your good to go .......welcome to the restorers ranks my friend :thumbsup:

Take it easy......Gaz.

"Death makes angels of us all ,and gives us wings, where we had shoulders smooth as ravens claws".

Jim Morrison.

"We are not retreating- We are advancing in another direction". Douglas MacArthur.

" Nuclear war,ruins your day".

Unknown.

All of these kind of makes you the current president,don't it?

I have to say one thing,you do good work.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Grant

No problem, it makes me laugh when people speculate about what 'restorers' (also known as replicators..or fakers...), get up to when ageing helmets!

Thats a nice looking helmet you have there. Just one thing that jumps out at me, the rotated square and 'J' is way too large. They were pretty small when WW2 applied. I find the best way to find out this info is to buy as many books on the subject as possible. I made the same mistake with the 'gingerbread man' for the 509th, although they were different shapes and sizes the majority were small and same with the 551st the 'palm tree' was generally too large (but not on the helmet above, this one is accurate!

kjones5452 - Thanks, I'll take the role as 'professional information guide' or PIG for short.... :ermm:

Here is another - clients one to his specification: Notice the early war leather chinstrap buckle and cracks in the chincup leather, detail is important!

b254b975.jpg

Cheers Mike

thats it Mike now you come along & show us up & make ours look pitiful :crybaby: :laughing1:

Regards Nick

This Thread Is Temporarily Closed Pending An Administrative Review

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

This Thread Is Temporarily Closed Pending An Administrative Review

Yes, we give a lot of leeway on this forum, but the collecting of legitimate helmets has been seriously harmed by fakers, so if anyone wants to conduct a school for fakers, I'm afraid this is not the place.

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif