6th Ferrying Group Newspaper

US82Bravo

I was doing some organizing of my stuff and came across this.

post-8013-1274323411.jpg

The hot news item of the day looks like a performance for the civilian girls of the post that has some guy named Sinatra appearing. That's his photo in the lower left.

The back of this issue features an aircraft recognition exercise.

post-8013-1274323707.jpg

It requests the name of the aircraft, country, and type. 5 points for each correct answer.

How would you do? Answers tomorrow.

Enjoy,

Larry

Johnny Signor

a.Supermarine Spitfire,England,Fighter,B.?,C.B-17 Flying Fortress,USA,Bomber,D.P-38Lightning,USA,Fighter,E.B-26 Maruader,USA,Bomber,F.F4F Widcat,USA,Fighter,G.Zero,Japan,Fighter,H.P-47 Thunderbolt,USA,Fighter,I.De Havilland Mosquito,England,Fighter,J.P-40 Kittyhawk/Tomahwak,USA,Fighter,K.B-24 Liberator,USA,Bomber,L.Me-109,Germany,Fighter

Johnny

By any chance is there any emblems shown, the 6th etc ??? Would like to see them if it does,thanks !!!!

"B", was the only one I couldn't figure out either. Being 3 engine (unless my eyeballs are going on the fritz), I'd say it's an Italian job. They sure liked 3 engine designs.

The answers:

post-8013-1274392235.jpg

The "b." answer is Stuka.

Johnny and Lee, don't blame me guys, I didn't get it either. I don't like the leading wing edge, the trailing edge, nor the fuselage configuration in the drawing. That doesn't leave much but the horizontal stabilizer. The fixed gear wheel pants do give the impression of additional engine housings.

Larry

Johnny,

I have a couple of othe editions of this, they are single page publications. Here is the only photo that showed any type of insignia or emblems. It is from the 7 March 1944 issue.

post-8013-1274392974.jpg

Looks like just the generic AAF and Ferry Command or Air Transport Command design. There is nothing specific to the 6th Ferrying Group in anything I have.

Larry

Johnny Signor

If that is a Stuka,whoever the artist was at that time sure as H*** didn't know what one looked like as that is a very sorry example,the wings sure didn't sweep back on the front leading edge, I thought "Italian" too like Lee, oh well we both got the rest of them right !

Cobrahistorian

I was thinking Italian as well. The artist put the wings on backwards! Wings are swept forward from the trailing edge and perpendicular to the fuselage on the leading edge on the Ju87B.

• 2 weeks later...

In the newspaper, is there anything written regarding the WASP’s assigned to the 6th Ferrying Group there in Long Beach? I grew up in Long Beach and I have never seen this newspaper before this posting. It appears to be in really good shape. Gregg

In the newspaper, is there anything written regarding the WASP’s assigned to the 6th Ferrying Group there in Long Beach? I grew up in Long Beach and I have never seen this newspaper before this posting. It appears to be in really good shape. Gregg

Sorry, there is no mention of any WASP activities in this edition.

Larry