A question about WWI pistols and holsters

CW4AFB

Gents

while doing some research and digging into the details on some photographs (the attached picture from the 90th Div is typical) from WW1 and slightly afterwards I've noticed that it appears that 45 automatics and 45 revolvers were issued in the same units---I've also noticed that, almost without exception, the Doughboys with the 45 revolvers are wearing them Butt-first on their right hip (what us kids back in the 60s called the "south of the border draw"). (and I have yet to see a automatic and holster mounted butt-first to give a righthander that South of the border draw)

The question I have is: has anyone found evidence of a policy or guidance that lefthanded soldiers should be issued revolvers and righties should get automatics?

As a righthanded shooter the 45 always worked fine for me, throwing the spent casing up, out, and to my right; however, would it throw the same casing into the face of a lefthanded shooter---therefore making it logical to give lefties a revolver?

Your thoughts?

regards, Al

post-2235-1274306485.jpg

My understanding is that the WWI holsters for the Model 1917 revolvers (and previous models) are of a cross-draw nature by design--a left over from earlier days when the right handed troopers would grasp the sword with their right hand and the revolver with their left and viceversa.

When the same holsters were produced in WWII (for the Model 1917 revolvers), they made them right-handed because by that time the sword was only used for ceremonial purpose.

The holsters for the Model 1911 auto pistol were designed for a modern handgun which was not meant to be worn on the battle field with a sword; thus, they were right handed from the get-go.

As you can see above and below, guys really like to show their guns :)

It may take me a while to find a WWII photo, but I'll find it.

post-70-1274309378.jpg

kjones5452

I've shot 45s,P-38s,and Lugers and have never even been grazed with a casing.

They eject up and off to the right. Same goes with me and the AR-15,both standard

and "shorty". I'm lefthanded.

O.K., here we go. These are MP's with Model 1917 revolvers in WWII. Notice the righ-hand holsters.

post-70-1274309816.jpg

Whisky Beck

The Smith Wesson and Colt 45 ACP M1917 revolvers were issued only in right hand butt to rear holsters, being originally designed to be worn that way for cavalry use. Basically, the M1917 holster was nothing more than a re-issue of the M1909 holster for the Colt M1909 45 (Long) Colt revolver that the cavalry used in between the 38 Colt revolver and the M1911 semi automatic pistol. During WWII the M1917 Colts and S&W revolvers were reissued and the holster was redesigned to be right hand draw butt to rear and designated M1942.

As for issuing revolvers to lefties and auto pistols to righties, that is not realistic. The army is no that logical! Also, if a lefty did get a revolver why wouldn't he just move the holster to his left side where it would be in the natural position and wear it there for a smoother left hand draw?

I cannot say I've ever seen a WWI pic with the revolver worn on the left side. However, my grandfather was in the 10th Field Artillery during the Great War and was issued a M1911 45 Auto. He told me in France he acquired a Colt 45 M1917 revolver with holster and wore it on his left side butt to rear packing two sidearms like the cowboys he had seen in Arizona around Camp Douglas and the town of Rodeo just over the New Mexico line.

I can tell you as a cavalry re-enactor for over 20 years that when riding a horse, and using weapons, you will not use a revolver or pistol in your left hand and a saber in the right. Very few riders can adequately control a horse in a melee with only their legs and spurs. You need one hand to steer the mount. The saber is equipped with a saber knot which attaches the saber to your right wrist, which allows you to drop the saber and use your hand for other things such as controlling your mount or drawing and using your revolver or pistol without the, difficult on the move, necessity of returning the blade to its scabbard.

Those MPs in Gunbarrel pic wore the M2 revolver holster. A right hand M1909 made on ly in 1942 by Textan and Fink. The M4 is a simplified M2 (bottom shaped like an M1916) made only in 1944 by Milsco and Sears.

post-67-1274679014.jpg

post-67-1274679304.jpg

Gents---interesting discussion but still not convinced strongly either way; one more piece of evidence supporting lefty/righty theory---heres a picture from 4th Division: one with automatic, other with revolver---note that each also has their cigarette in a different hand---I haven't smoked in a long time but I'll bet a six pack that most people smoke using their dominent hand---

in conclusion: same unit, same rank, different pistol, different smoking hand....hmmmm; you decide.....

Best for memorial day and to our foreign members who are going out to decorate American graves tomorrow, Thanks... We owe you one.

regards, Al

post-2235-1275264182.jpg

heres a picture from 4th Division: one with automatic, other with revolver---note that each also has their cigarette in a different hand---I haven't smoked in a long time but I'll bet a six pack that most people smoke using their dominent hand---

in conclusion: same unit, same rank, different pistol, different smoking hand....hmmmm; you decide.....

I also used to smoke and held my cigarette with my right (dominant) hand. That was probably the case on this photo as well, until the Doughboy on the left of the photo (to the right of the guy with the revolver) had not told the other guy "Hey, watch my britches there, buddy!" which prompted the other guy to quickly switch his cigarette to his left hand. :)

Have a good Memorial Day!