Post your navy jumpers!

luft

Hello

You were a Red Rope in the Summer of 1989 at Great Lakes? OH SH$$%$%T!!!, I went to Great Lakes for Boot Camp, just like my Dad in 1943 and my Grand Dad in 1917 LOL. I asked to go to Boot at Great Lakes when I went to MEPS LOL. Well I was a "Rick" in Co. 236, from 13 June 1989 until 13 AUG. 1989. Talk about a small World...now I'm sacred I might get MASHED and/or ASMO'ed LOL.

Should have seen my Dad when he came to see my Boot Graduation LO....all the other parents were in awl at "how "big" Military Bases are" when they saw Great Lakes. First thing my Dad said was "this place has really gotten smaller since I was here last in 43" LOL. Just had to be there LOL.

Sorry for getting off topic there LOL.

Thanks

Mark aka "Ricky Recruit" from Co. 236-89

marineamtracer

Mark,

Don't appologize for posting the newer stuff! It's great! Seeing it with your dad's jumper makes it that much better not to mention you were both Navy aviationmen that's great stuff man. I haven't posted any of my own uniforms before but maybe one of these days I should....

Colin

My one & only jumper...

An Aviation Quartermaster uniform ID'd to H.I.Roberts. A friend of mine actually gave me the uniform because he knew I would appreciate it (you bet I did!). This was something that was passed on to him by a friend of the family. It was her husband's uniform that we see here. When pressed for more information about Roberts, he couldn't add much more other than he was possibly assigned to a battleship during WWI. I still need to confirm this point...

Can anyone help me confirm Roberts' service record?

-Chuck

Unfortunately, Roberts was a very common name (apparently) in the Navy during WW1. My search of the Navy enlistement records pegged out at 2000...A quick search led me to at least one...Roberts Hugo Lee -- [service Number] 001837389, [Date of Enlistment] 08/09/1918 might be worth tracking down...

Dave

This belonged to Sam Perreira. The family was going to throw this out. My friends mother had me in mind and rescued it. I am the tare taker and will return it to any relative that cherishes it. He was on the USS Ancon. In the pocket of the jumper is the story of the "Lady of the Mist" He was aboard for Africa, Sicily ,Normandy and beyond.

post-6287-1274320568.jpg

post-6287-1274320575.jpg

Garandomatic

I posted a pic of my D-Day vet's jumper and pants a few days ago. Got his Neptunus Rex certificate and everything. I have some with liberty cuffs, other custom touches. Either my corpsman or my pointer is a custom uniform with side zip and zipper pants. The other significant uniform I have was from a man that was in the service before WWII, operated in the Atlantic and Pacific, and was on the USS DE William Seiverling for the bulk of his career. And when the treaty was signed, he was right there in the harbor.

Great looking jumpers! :thumbsup: Did my eyes decieve me, or were there a couple of undress blue jumpers wearing ribbons? When I was in, that was a no-no. Steve is right about undress blues... a great uniform and VERY comfortable. ;)

Thanks to all you guys who posted these!

Dave-

Thanks! I appreciate your efforts. I've jotted down that information for further research.

2000+ 'hits' you say? Wow. I thought it was common but not that common...

Regards,

Chuck

Unfortunately, Roberts was a very common name (apparently) in the Navy during WW1. My search of the Navy enlistement records pegged out at 2000...A quick search led me to at least one...Roberts Hugo Lee -- [service Number] 001837389, [Date of Enlistment] 08/09/1918 might be worth tracking down...

Dave

Dave-

Thanks! I appreciate your efforts. I've jotted down that information for further research.

2000+ 'hits' you say? Wow. I thought it was common but not that common...

Regards,

Chuck

Chuck-

No problem! The only issue I had was that there were no H I Roberts...I don't know if that's because there might have been some over the 2000 record limit, or if it's supposed to be H L Roberts. I did find one other HL Roberts as well. Interestingly, both of them were from California. Is that where this uniform originated from?

Dave

Here is the first of my Few Jumpers. Some of which I might have posted on the board already.

First is a Jumper that has been modified for use in the Sea Scouts:

usn05.JPGusn04.JPGusn01.JPG

Dave-

Funny you should mention that. The story goes this friend of the family had dropped off the uniform as she was heading back to California. I even asked if he knew they were originally from California but he couldn't say one way or the other if that's where they were originally from. My friend mentioned she sent a letter to him describing some of the details of Roberts' service. He's in the process of tracking down that vital piece of the puzzle.

As for the initials, the middle name looks like an "I" but if you have a different opinion, I'm all ears.

-Chuck

Here is a photo of the rest of my collection

From left to right: Fire Control Technician with ribbon bar, Hospital corpsman (which has liberty stitching inside, photo to follow), Motor Machinist Mate, Aviation Machinist Mate, and Aviation Electronics Technician (from Boot camp, I think)

post-3656-1274378402.jpg

Now the photo of the liberty stitching from the Hospital corpsman jumper:

usn08.JPG

marineamtracer

You're right two of my jumpers are undress with ribbons. The Mayton one came that was from his kids. I'm sure they put them on but who know's so I leave them there and the McGovern jumper was an ebay purchase and they also came in place and seeing as they follow his service I leave them as well.

Colin

Great looking jumpers! :thumbsup: Did my eyes decieve me, or were there a couple of undress blue jumpers wearing ribbons? When I was in, that was a no-no. Steve is right about undress blues... a great uniform and VERY comfortable. ;)

Thanks to all you guys who posted these!

Sure!! :thumbsup:

usnjumper1.jpg

Ricardo.

Thanks Ricardo! :thumbsup:

Do you have some informations about it ?

Thierry

From left to right: Fire Control Technician with ribbon bar, Hospital corpsman (which has liberty stitching inside, photo to follow), Motor Machinist Mate, Aviation Machinist Mate, and Aviation Electronics Technician (from Boot camp, I think)

post-3656-1274378402.jpg

Now the photo of the liberty stitching from the Hospital corpsman jumper:

usn08.JPG

I love the fire Control Tech with the right arm crow on the left sleeve. Don't really see that many of those around, but shows that it was done during the transition in '48.

Steve Hesson

post-3656-1274378402.jpg

wow, your PO 1 Hospital corpsman are beautiful! It's a post war model, no ?

Thierry

C. Mason Amadon - carpenters mate

Top with button pants, named.

Wow! :w00t:

Your jumper are near to mint state! That's awesome!

Congratulations for this one

Thierry

wow, your PO 1 Hospital corpsman are beautiful! It's a post war model, no ?

Thierry

Thanks, I thinks it's a nice one too. It could be post war. Inside the sleeve I can see that there was another rate on before. It's the same size rate, It could have been from when they changed from the red cross to the caduceus. The four service stripes have always been there.

Thanks, I thinks it's a nice one too. It could be post war. Inside the sleeve I can see that there was another rate on before. It's the same size rate, It could have been from when they changed from the red cross to the caduceus. The four service stripes have always been there.

Very interesting detail! I don't if it's possible, but why not ? ;)

Four service stripes, it's a very long service! (16 years!)

Thierry

Here's a couple more that I just got with in a month or so.

Pre ww2 jumper with 1st class Machinist mate rating badge.

post-2501-1274574259.jpg

Pre ww2 jumper with 2nd class Aviation Carpenter's Mate rating badge.

post-2501-1274574095.jpg

Please excuse my camera, not sure where that spot came from.

Jason

I bought this grouping of Naval uniforms at a flea market yesterday for 25 dollars. The ribbons were in one of the pockets which shows that Chief James Wilson was a three war sailor. One of the ribbons is missing. Can anyone tell me what might have been there? I noticed that the pants for the tailored jumper had the right leg cut off at the knee. I thought that maybe Chief Wilson was wearing a cast on his right leg at one time until I found this on the Internet:

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123203993

post-1389-1274579668.jpg

post-1389-1274579681.jpg

post-1389-1274579693.jpg

post-1389-1274579703.jpg

post-1389-1274579712.jpg

I bought this grouping of Naval uniforms at a flea market yesterday for 25 dollars. The ribbons were in one of the pockets which shows that Chief James Wilson was a three war sailor. One of the ribbons is missing. Can anyone tell me what might have been there? I noticed that the pants for the tailored jumper had the right leg cut off at the knee. I thought that maybe Chief Wilson was wearing a cast on his right leg at one time until I found this on the Internet:

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123203993

Why do you think this uniform belonged to the Master Chief in the atricle? This uniform is for a First Class Petty Officer with service in WW2. The Master Cheif Petty Officer in the article was injured in 2003 while on active duty. I do not think this uniform belonged to the MCPO in the article. Perhaps his father or Grand Father. The missing ribbon would be the Good Conduct Ribbon.

Beutiful uniform none the less.

Steve Hesson

Hello

I like the Shark on the Liberty Cuffs. By the time I got into the US Navy in 1989, I think that Liberty Cuffs were a thing of the past already. I remember hearing about them and I knew what they were, but no one that I know ever had them on their Dress Blues.

I do have one Liberty Cuff that is a Shark that I had stitched to a jacket (the nylon jackets that could be bought at the Exchange, there were fairly common, and every branch of the Service had a version, they have a vertical stripe down one side the had "US Navy", or US (insert Service name here)). I got that Liberty Cuff at a tailor shop in Milington, Tn. when I was at AE A School.

I have thought of finding a complete pair Liberty Cuffs with the Shark and "retro-fitting" them onto my Dress Blues LOL, why?...I don't know LOL.

Anyway, getting back to the topic of this thread. The next time I'm at my Dad's place I'll try and remember to take a few photos of my Grand Dad's Whites and Blues from the First World War and post them here.

Thanks

Mark

PS Does anyone know if Liberty Cuffs can still be found anywhere? I'd imagine that there is not a big market for them in these days, but I'd still like to find a pair someday.

Why do you think this uniform belonged to the Master Chief in the atricle? This uniform is for a First Class Petty Officer with service in WW2. The Master Cheif Petty Officer in the article was injured in 2003 while on active duty. I do not think this uniform belonged to the MCPO in the article. Perhaps his father or Grand Father. The missing ribbon would be the Good Conduct Ribbon.

Beutiful uniform none the less.

Steve Hesson

My error as I jumped the gun without thinking this through because the name was the same as well as the loss of a right leg so it seemed to fit but the James Wilson mentioned in the article must have started his career in the Navy during the 1970s while the James Wilson who wore this uniform started his career in the 1940s. Thanks for the correction and which missing ribbon I'll need to hunt down.