Toy Walkie-Talkie

siege1863

Been wanting to add one of these to my WWII toy collection for a long time. Problem is, the few that I have seen were damaged or missing parts, being made of cardboard, paper, and fiberboard. There is also another model out there that dates from the 1950s or 1960s. The difference betwen the WWII-period toy and the later is the name. This one is the "Gung Ho" model. The newer one is marked "Ding How." Side by side, there may also be differences in the colors in the camouflage pattern. Posted below is a copy of a November 1944 advertisement for the walkie-talkie.

post-211-1274235877.jpg post-211-1274236149.jpg

Here is even a better ad. The walkie-talkie is drawn more true to the original. Although not clear, the decal in the stock of the rifle is that for Parris-Dunn. They made drill rifles for the Army and Navy, and later converted over to toy rifles.

post-211-1274237472.jpg

From an article regarding new toys available for Christmas 1944---

"The old fashioned wooden toy soldier has been modernized!...Manufacturers have done their utmost to provide all the accouterments of the serviceman for his son...Two new additions to the military stock are a walkie-talkie that actually works and a bombsight..." The walkie-talkie would be the "Gung Ho" model.

craig_pickrall

I guess that was inspired by the GUNG HO movie. I just watched this movie for the umpthteen time this past weekend. There is some good shots of Randolph Scott using the radio.

post-5-1274378072.jpg

post-5-1274378077.jpg

post-5-1274378083.jpg

There is an interesting article that appears in the newspapers in 1944 mentioning that the FCC is soon expected to authorize the sale of walkie-talkies to civilians. The article went on to say how they would greatly improve people's daily lives. The example was a wife could call her husband and have him pick up a loaf of bread on his way home from work!

craig_pickrall

That is a great idea. Someone should pickup on that and market the WT.

• 2 months later...

Just found a catalog listing for my WWII toy walkie-talkie. It is from the 1944 Sears Christmas Book. The description even mentions the Makin Island Raid! There is the direct connection to Carlson's Raiders that Craig suggested.

post-211-1280541393.jpg post-211-1280541349.jpg

Hey Siege,

Amazon has a book from Schiffer Pub. you might look into:Wee Warriors and Playtime Patriots, Childrens Military Regalia,Civil War Era thru

Vietnam Period.

Right now they've got 2 used copies starting at $20 bucks and of course new ones also.

craig johnson

siege1863

Your Walkie-Talkie needs someone to talk too. I have one. Didnt know it was missing the top antenna plug and string until I saw your picture. Would you like to make it a pair.

$25 + $6 shipping

The part where you talk into comes out. Not sure how its secured. Has dents and some cuts through the outside paper wrapping. Other than that its in pretty decent shape.

953190752_qN3ah-L.jpg953190933_nMrGQ-L.jpg

953191113_ZVsTF-L.jpg953191224_vDSvd-L.jpg

953191343_R3SHP-S.jpg953191472_4Bjco-S.jpg

That is a great idea. Someone should pickup on that and market the WT.

Sorry Craig,

Those things just aren't practical.

No hand held wireless taking device will ever catch on ! :lol2: