Helmet Restoration - How to Remove Finish...?

LoadedColt45

LoadedColt45

Hey guys - I have an old front seam, swivel bail helmet with stainless steel rim which was at some point refinished with that awefull "sand" texture - probably VN era I am guessing.

The helmet is in great condition with no dents, rust, etc. but I would like to try to remove it this paint and texture and restore it with cork. Has anyone tried this before or could anyone tell what the best way to go about doing this would be...?

Anny help is appreciated!

Thanks!

100_3788.jpg

ClaptonIsGod

I would say to leave it. It has Vn straps so I think just put a mitchell on it and toss in a VN liner.

If you have access to one you can use a sand blaster as that will make short work of it. If not you can use a heavy duty paint stripper as that will do the trick also but that one can be a bit more messy. I couldn't tell you where you would find the ground cork or if you have to grind it up yourself but I would think it would be the same premise as if you were making paint for anti slipping application where you add the sand to the paint. :)

Cheers,

Kevin

+1 for Clapton's suggestion.

However, if you are determined to redo it, I'd say that a wire brush in your drill would make short work of the paint which is on there. If you go this route, just wrap the chinstraps in masking tape to protect them. A wire brush should only cost $3-5 at Home Depot.

Steve

Corpsmancollector

I would also leave it. If you don't want it in your collection as a VN lid, sell it on and buy a WWII era shell maybe?

As for restoring and re-corking, I've recently done this with a fixed bail. I use a heavy duty paint stripper to take off the paint and once I'm satisfied I clean it up with a heavy wire wool. Following this I apply a thick base coat of paint with a brush and then sprinkle fine ground cork over the helmet (a sieve or salt shaker works quite well) and then let it dry. Once the paint is dry I use a dry brush and fine wire wool to take off the cork which has stuck. Then repeat the process where necessary and give it a final coat of OD.

LoadedColt45

Thanks for the tips guys - I think sandblasting would be the best idea as to removing this finish. It's pretty tough stuff!

As for refinishing it - that shouldn't be too hard. I think it will be a fun project.

My collecting interest are from WWI through WWII. Anytime I get something VN era, it gets traded off. But since this helmet was in great shape, WWII production and didn't cost me a dime I thought I would keep it for a future project and either put it with the rest of my M1 helmets or I may even use it for living history event at a local museum on June 6th.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
LoadedColt45

I thought I would post a progress report on this one... I got the sand texture off using stripper I had in the garage (thanks for the tip). It took a couple hours but most of that time was spent just waiting for the stipper to disolve the paint enough for me to rub the sand off.

Tonight, I will be removing the first layer down to the bare steel inside and out, now that the sand and 2nd layer of paint has been removed. I will post progress pictures and eventually the finished project once I am done. It will be an officer's helmet when I am completely finished and will be aged appropriately using a technique I recently dicovered.