14-280 Corpsman aid bag

Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector

Here's a 14-280 bag I recently picked up at a local show. This is often referred to as the 'Unit 1' and is seen in the early years of the war (usually)

It's the 'small' version of the bag, which was the standard carrying bag of aid supplies for Navy corpsman. It measure 12" wide, 8" tall and 3" deep, the same dimensions which Jeff Warner specifies in his book 'Sailors in Forest Green' (p.27)

The bag is in combat used condition and exhibits a lot of wear. It's definitely been there! On the front of the bag, 'UNIT - 1?' is stencilled in the style which is often seen on USN MD equipment. The buckles are marked underneath 'Waterberry Buckle Co' and the fasteners are marked 'UNITED CARR'. The large black USN lettering is covered by a red cross in a white circle, something which can be seen on every one of my 14-280 bags! :think:

I have attached some pictures of my other 2 14-280 bags, which are both of the larger size. The first (on the left) has 'F SAN' and 'BOYT -44-' under the flap, stamped in black ink and has a number 'I' painted in white paint. This bag came from a reputable Dutch dealer who specializes in USMC items about 6/7 years ago. The second, (on the right) is identical but has 'II' painted in white. This bag came from eBay 2 years ago, from a seller who mainly sold British kit. My third and smaller bag also looks like it has 'F SAN' printed under the flap.

Here's my analysis. Are they reproduction? The argument for: both the larger bags are in almost mint unused condition. They also exhibit ficticious 'BOYT' manufacturing stamps (this is obvious but could have been done quite easily). They are also painted in the exact same way. The arguement against: they are made very well, not what you would see in a reproduction (not even a WWII impressions and Juan's bags are very good) if you take a look at the right hand side of the bag the red circled area is even identical to the seam on original examples. They also exhibit war time fittings. Also, to my knowledge when I purchased the first bag 6/7 years ago, WWII impressions were the only company reproducing these and they were very different in colour and construction. Lastly, they match other known original examples I have seen or handled; even down to the stitching.

Personally, I think someone has added fictitious markings at a later date to verify the items authenticity (these bags wern't stamped with manufacturers markings to my knowledge) but the construction points to original items.

I would very much like to hear the views of those my experienced collectors out there!

Much appreciated,

Many thanks,

Will

MODS: Could you please change the title designation to '280' not, '820'. Thanks!

post-5339-1274215759.jpg

post-5339-1274215771.jpg

Corpsmancollector

post-5339-1274216117.jpg

Both the above bags, arent quite as 'orange' as they appear. However, they still exhibit the typcial 'mustard tan' colour of USN/USMC equipment

Corpsmancollector

Hey Sam,

I wasn't concerned that the bag was fake as such. (due to it being very well made etc.) but the BOYT markings are obviously ficticious as like you say, they never made them. To my knowledge, these bags were never maker marked and I think this is the reason someone added a 'wartime stamp' to verify it's authenticity. This is something which has been done before and since, e.g. The 5 cell unmarked Thompson ammo pouches which the US made for Russia and have recently come onto the market in the UK. They're mint condition but have no 'US' so naturally, people have put fake stampings on them!