ID Vet Org Badge

Brig

SCF-Collector
ok, what's this to? came in a small bunch of pre-WWII USMC insignia

Brig -

I like a mystery so did some quick searching. All I came up with was the Journeymen Barbers International Union of American - which appears to be often shortened to "JBIU of A". Found some articles referencing the red-white-blue barber pole, patriotism, etc - related to the union. That might fit with what you have here on this piece.

Here's one link I looked at: HERE

I could be wrong - but that's what I found! Thought I'd pass it along.

Bruce Linz

Hello,

That is indeed a membership bagde or lapel pin for the Journeymen Barbers’ International Union of America (JBIU of A). Founded in 1887 by barbers from New York, Michigan and Ohio. They were originally known as the Journeymen Barbers’ Protective Union.

They played an important role in the foundation of the AFL and were present at its founding meeting in 1886 in Columbus, Ohio. I think later they change the name to Barbers’, Beauticians and Allied Industries International Association.

The eagle holds a banner with their motto "Labor Omnia Vincit" (labor conquers all things or work conquers all). That is also the state motto of Oklahoma.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

what a weird organization...guess I know what the Marine did after retirement...wish I had his name