WWII USMC Gear Setups

Brig

combat-helmets

Flage, as expected, your rigs blow me away.

Also impressive is that Vietnam set up with the mitchell pattern shelter half from Dsjkl...

I started collecting USMC items with the interion of making a fully equipped mannequin.

I now have enough for at least 3 full mannequins, but the wife isn't keen on a war room, so everything sits in storage for another day.

Impressive set ups guys!! Everyone! :thumbsup:

... it's better with the pic :crying:

Great pic.By the look on his face I wonder if he is under fire.

Looks like an early thin pommel kabar too.

RD

Great pic.By the look on his face I wonder if he is under fire.

... and another one with the same setup

post-17306-1304067135.jpg

To illustrate the evolution of the USMC P1941 pack during the four years of the war in PTO, I've tried to show one setup per year ... I know they are not perfect and some items are not present (some are already in my boxes, some are waiting to find the way to my home ;) )

Don't hesitate to give your advice, and to correct what I did wrong.

The first one, early D-buckles haversack and riveted buckles knapsack (with brass hardware), and flat buckles suspenders (the buckles are 2 different patterns, I didn't find a real pair), representing year 1942.

The setup is not complete, I'm waiting for a 42 dated ammo belt (before I find a 41 :blink: ).

post-17306-1304255196.jpg

For year 1943, an early transitional haversack with riveted straps but no more D-buckles and a 1942-43 dated knapsack with steel hardware (the side buckle and the top strap end).

The shovel cover is depot made, with the typical USMC hook and no US marking. To complet the setup, a 43 dated belt, Boyt manufactured and a rather salty 2nd pattern canteen cover. The bayonet scabbard seems to be of USMC manufacture, as suggested by the long hook, side stitch and the owner's stencil, if I'm right.

post-17306-1304256016.jpg

The typical Boyt haversack (alone, I don't have the knapsack), this one being 43 dated, and a light combat setup representing year 1944.

The shovel and canteen covers are all 4th MarDiv marked but different units, sorry ;)

post-17306-1304256517.jpg

And the last one, for year 1945, a modified depot made haversack with the crossed flap canteen covers and a Boyt 44 dated belt.

I know that this model was not wide used during WW2 and there's not much evidence of that, but some photos let me think that some were issued, and I have the modified knapsack that goes with this haversack and it's 1943-44 dated ... could have been issued to a replacement :think:

Perhaps do you have more informations about that.

post-17306-1304257020.jpg

'Flage Guy

Etienne- Nice stuff you got there, and well displayed!! :w00t: :w00t:

Those Depot-made "roll-top" Packs are tough to come by, in any condition; below is one like yours. Since this photo was taken, I have found a mint Knapsack to match the Haversack, neither of which was easy to find; the fact that there are a lot more used examples than unissued ones, as well as period photos of them in use, shows that they were indeed issued out in the course of the War.

post-3226-1304261187.jpeg

craig_pickrall

Very nice display. You should look for USMC made first aid pouches too. They are tuff to find and repros are out there so be careful.

Very nice display. You should look for USMC made first aid pouches too. They are tuff to find and repros are out there so be careful.

Thanks.

The USMC first aid pouch is one of the missing items ... none did find the way to my collection ;) ... there's one on Ebay, but I don't know how to determine if it's legit or fake, could you help me ? ... http://cgi.ebay.com/USMC-P1912-1st-Aid-Pou...=item2a1034bf65

The other reason I didn't display FA kits is that I need to study more photos to see exactly what was issued to marines. For instance, on one of the photos I posted in this thread, the marine seems to have a M1942 FA pouch under his M2 jungle kit.

Corpsmancollector

Very nice display etienne, I like how you have done one pack for each year. Some rare pieces too; d-ring pack, depot made t-shovel cover, depot made roll top.

Great stuff!

Will

Thanks guys, your contributions to USMF helped me much when I decided to come back to USMC collecting ... that's why I decided to give mine.

I just received yesterday a BoyT 42 (early markings) ammo belt and a depot made shovel cover to complete my gear collection.

combat-helmets
This is my post-WWII pack set, came assembled. I know it's not WWII, but should give a better idea of how they look when they're "stuffed" and kitted out fully with the bayo and the e-tool.

post-1424-1274060248.jpg

post-1424-1274060261.jpg

post-1424-1274060267.jpg

dan,

is that one of those 1952 USMC WW2 duck hunter , pre Vietnam

era Mitchell pattern shelter halves with the snaps??

That's a great rig!!

• 3 years later...
ViewfinderGyrene

Thank you for posting. I consider this one of the most informative MC themed threads on the entire forum. How you took the care to

show the distinct progression of the setups easily helped me discern the proper one for the particular campaign representation!

I just realized I'm the one who started this...I guess I took another 4 year break after adding a couple pieces. Maybe someday I'll actually finish it :o