Large Heavy Canvas Tent With Holes & Stains

AirMechanic

AirMechanic

i have a large WWII canvas tent with several tears, small holes, and stains. What is the best way to repair the holes and tears (one is almost a foot long). What is the best way to remove the stains (there are a few areas with stains that are about 10 inches in diameter). Any ideas?

ClaptonIsGod

My idea would be to sew the holes with some khaki thread if it just ripped, original khaki thread can be had on e-Bay so you can make it look like a field repair. As to the stains, there are topics in here in the back couple pages about removing stains from canteen covers, web gear etc.

the.warlord1944

i dont know the right english word maybe but you can look into the yellow pager for a sailmaker.

The ones who make the canvas sails for trucks and lorry`s they have professional sewing machines.

• 1 month later...
pbuchh7715

Greetings,

In a former life before I crossed over to the dark side and became not only an officer but a Chemical Corps officer, I was a 57E then a 92S. Fancy talk for people who, as one of their many field service tasks, repaired canvas.

First off, it's not easy. So much of a pain in the rump that it was more efficient to DX (send to the graveyard) an overly damaged piece of canvas than try to repair. Tear or hole? Deal with it or get some 100 mph tape. Regardless, you will need heavy gauge thread and needles, matching canvas to be able to over-sew rips (once you've sewn the tears) by 6 inches on any edge (sides and ends) and dont expect it to be water repellent at the point of those repairs. Stains? Just hope they aren't from petroleum products or heavy mold....then you got a hole coming. Stains are the nature of the beast as far as any piece of heavily handled canvas is concerned and I wouldn't even try to mess with them.

I also forgot that you need a hand-piece (cant remember what it's called) that protects your fingers and palm from the giant needle used to sew the thread (no, for field repairs we did not have a machine). There are civilian repair shops that have equipment to perform construction but I would assert that it isn't cheap.

I know it isn't "period" but I would recommend a nylon or other synthetic thread and before you even invest money in a needle, check and see if the fabric can even handle the repair; it could have dry rot or simply lost it tensile strength to handle additional stress, even from a simple stitching repair.

Maybe there's another 57E/92S out there that can help out with an easier way. Canvas work ain't no joke.

Good luck in your restoration,

Pete

I don't know if you have any Amish canvas craftsmen in your area, but that's where our former Scout camp used to take tents for repair. Our other camp had a guy who was a sailmaker/repairman, but he just passed away (He was an ol' PT boat guy too.)

Good luck.

G