Where Are These Guys When I'm Selling!!

GLM

Just ran across this auction and thought I'd share it. This appears to be a case of pure "not going to let the other guy have it" or one serious case of shill bidding. Both bidders have enough auctions under their belts to know better, too! Shame! Shame!

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-USMC-EGA-M-1937-pa...1QQcmdZViewItem

Gary

Here they are for after the auction ends!

post-84-1184560872.jpg

post-84-1184560885.jpg

Don's auctions always garner huge bucks comparably. $130+ for dress m1937s is ridiculous, but, as stated in other threads, an item is worth what people will pay. When Don, whose collection is photographed heavily in Reynosa's post war M-1 book, sells off post-war helmet components, they earn 2-3x what similar items will get from other sellers (when everyone else gets $15 for a headband, he gets $40.00). He just seems to have the magic touch on eBay.

Ken

that's about $65 an emblem. I'll sell all of my enlisted M37 collar emblems for 65 a piece, send the buyer my way :lol:

On EBAY at least there is no such thing as a one dollar EGA and I have never seen one in an antique or second hand store. Even used modern day black EGA's are priced at $5 a set in stores. Check out EBAYs completed listings for WWII EGA or WW2 EGA and you will hardly find a matched set for under $30. And once again, for some collectors there is little difference in paying $30 or $130 if it's something they decide they "just gotta have" now.

I don't think there is any such thing as an "estimated value" for EGA's; the price ranges are too broad and the upper end keeps going up but some nice pieces seem to slip through at very low prices. For buyers and sellers it's often the luck of the draw these days.

I've been to shows where some Army expert who doesn't know a thing about EGAs sells them for a buck or two. I once got 5 for 3 bucks. Needless to say, I grab them up at those prices!

That's the ones we love to find. Back in April I picked up a small bag of EGA's for $8 bucks at an antique shop off I-95 in Pennsylvania. The guy it sold it was a militaria dealer. Had it been a regular antique dealer no doubt they would have priced each EGA at $10!

Well, they finished at $188.48! There's no doubt about it now that the two bidders just weren't going to let them go, at any price. With $188 and change, I'd be willing to bet that a serious EGA collector could walk away with 10-15 sets of much better condition emblems of the same type or 2,3 or 4 sets of nice WWII officer's matched emblems, and from eBay to boot! As we all know, we can sometimes see the doggoned things on eBay.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Hi all, if you've not seen these take a look.... :blink:

Horribly tarnished WW2 dress collars... garden variety, about 4x worth:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=019

Mismatched Officer's service cover & collar w/ enlisted emblem for piss cover, roughly 2x the price of the individual emblems:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=012

Sure hope these folks are around if I decide to sell off some spares...

On the second batch (service emblems), the collars are very close, but slight differences in the wings. Now, check closely the large hat emblem. It's very weird. I've never seen a rope like that, plus it's not attached to the fluke in the normal way. Second, the striations (or whatever you call them ) on the globe. Could this be a dress emblem which has been refinished/painted, like we've seen on this forum already?

Steve

Steve,

The NS Meyer collar set pretty much looks like a matched set to me, but as Darrell states, at least 2x the normal value. Someone wanted these very badly to pay that kind of money, especially when they show up on eBay weekly at $50-$75 a set, with better finishes to boot.

I'm guessing the large emblem was, at one time, a dress emblem. Looks like some remnants of silver finish on the globe and eagle's wings. With the numeric code for Vanguard, this emblem would date post Korea, possibly up through 1962. The loosely twisted rope is a trademark of Vanguard emblems. Here is a Vanguard dress emblem from my collection with VANGUARD and 154 code, which also dates to post Korean War, but probably a little earlier than the auction Vanguard. Of special interest here is the finish. Both silver and gold finishes are washed on over what appears to be an alloy metal. Nothing sterling or gold marked or suggested with Vanguard emblems. I wanted to point this out to you because the finish on this emblem is what also appears to be the finish on the repro M1926 officer's "Gooney" dress cover emblem's anchors and continents we have discussed in the past. Perfectly normal for many of the 1950's - 1960's or current dress emblems, but definately out of place on pre-WWII emblems. The Vanguard auction emblem also went for 2x-3x it's value.

As Darrell states, I also hope these fellows are still out there when it comes time to sell, but with the current interest in EGA's and collecting them, people need to slow down a little bit and pay attention to what's out there and what they're worth before needlessly paying too much.

Gary

post-84-1185857700.jpg

post-84-1185857714.jpg

post-84-1185857730.jpg

I hope Darrell doesn't mind posting his photos, but while going through my photo files to find the dress Vanguard emblem, I also found photos of his Vanguard service emblem that he emailed a couple of months ago. Fits right into the heart of this thread and the post Korean War Vanguard characteristics. Of special interest, especially to me, is the fact that Vanguard used the "squiglies," "fletchings" or whatever you call them between the latitude lines on both dress and service emblems, which suggests they made all emblems the same from a basic metal and then used the gold/silver wash or darkened wash for whichever emblems they needed at the time, with the only differences being the numeric code. You really don't see this practice by other makers.

Gary

post-84-1185859756.jpg

post-84-1185859779.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Gary, happy to see you used that cap emblem... perfect example. The first use called for use of a "chased hemisphere" on emblems came with the issuing of new uniform reg's in '22. I suppose at that time many makers were wondering just a "chased hemisphere" was to be?

Later with the issuing of new uniform reg's in '37 the word chased was replaced with "fretted" which lead to the series of (IMHO) the most beautiful series of emblems by the various makers of the period. One could make a collection just of these, an amazing series of diversity in designs.

I would like to know more about the numerical coding that began Pre, during or post Korea. As for this set, I found it strange a hallmarked set of collars which were predominantly used in WW2, were matched to a Cap emblem of a non-hallmarked & numbered, and an enlisted emblem tossed in for the piss cover? Who knows, stranger things have been seen.

Thanks, Gary, for the close-ups of the Vanguard emblem. That's definitely it. I never really noticed that style of rope before - different than on other officer hat emblems. Also, your remarks on the gold wash was informative, too.

You're right about the rapidly escalating prices these things are commanding on Ebay. Insane, but don't look for it to go the otherway anytime soon. It seems more and more people are collecting EGAs these days, and while we find them now and then at shops at "realistic" prices, frankly, I think these are going the way of WWII German insignia - up and up. When the forthcoming reference book(s) mentioned in another thread comes out, that will probably increase even more the popularity of these.

Steve

teufelhunde.ret

Steve, here is another Gary and I reviewed on the matter of the "anchor chains" during that period... one of my favorites in my collection from this era.

wire_ropes_004.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

and another... Gary has coined the word "beast" for this one, it defies dating, for right now ;) s/f Darrell

wire_ropes_001.jpg

Outstanding, Darrell. On the last three you posted, I think post #7 is my favorite, also. The finish on these is certainly different than the standard WWII officer emblems. Very nice!!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Gary

Your right... just last night Jeremiah walked away with a "cherry" K.C. Luke for 120 and change... the prices of these common WW2 collars are ridiculous nowadays. s/f Darrell

jeremiahcable

What the heck? If Luke EGAs are common in S.C. I'm on my way tonight! :D Seriously though, I get your analogy there. I think the price I paid on that Luke bird was even below market. I've seen that side, the odd right hand side, go for $200+ before. I look at that '37 enlisted set auction and just shake my head......so sad. thumbdown.gif

Jeremiah

post-8-1186698809.jpg[

Recently I saw several sets of EGAs at an antique store in a small town in Georgia. Prices ranged from $15 to $65 per set. As an Air Corps/early Air Force collector, I didn't really know what I was looking at. Is there a reference book available to tell me the basics on EGAs??

teufelhunde.ret

Dave, I would first suggest going thru our own reference section. Not only good photo's but the exchange and dialogue discussion is as good as you'll find anywhere. And some comment / estimates as to current values.

There is the TM published by the History & Museums Division. It is at best a difficult read, horrible photo's in many instances. However, it is very detailed with respect to uniform reg's. and from that perspective invaluable to the collector of EGA's. The only other reference (at this moment) is Orgel's appendix in Jim Moran's uniform book. There are pundit's of both works.

We do know Dr. Fred Bruier has publication that has been sent to the publisher this month and should be out by the end of this year. To be the first of a two volume set. We hope this will fill many gaps and address many questions.

s/f Darrell

• 3 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Can not believe what I'm seeing here... just no way these WW2 emblems call for these prices? think.gif

Here's a pair of WW2 H&H service collar emblems... $504 CURRENT BID????????? http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-USMC-Officers-EGA...1QQcmdZViewItem

A single service cap emblem of WW2 H&H hallmark... again $504 CURRENT BID???????? http://cgi.ebay.com/USMC-Officers-Visored-...1QQcmdZViewItem

A set of dress collars & cap emblems from WW2.... a whopping $750 FIRST BID ????????? http://cgi.ebay.com/USMC-P-1936-Marine-Off...1QQcmdZViewItem

A single dress cap w/ Gemsco hallmark from WW2... a whopping $506 FINAL BID??????? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=016

Howdy Darrel...............Good morning................Interesting EBay stuff. I guess that's what auctions are about. Sometimes you buy an item way below its value..........other times competitive bidding changes the market place estimates. I've always felt that when the hammer goes down on an item at a seemingly rediculous price, a new value is set, whether we like it or not. There's no standard list of values for an EGA that sold in 1935 for a $1.00 and now is worth hundreds. It's pretty much arbitrary pricing and a willing bidder/buyer. There's also not a "store" you can go to buy these things,,,,,,not originals, anyway!

So guys like us will keep searching antique stores, gun shows, flea markets hoping to find a jewel, just like that one that sold on EBay for $504.00..... :rolleyes:

Semper Fi................Bob