Where Are These Guys When I'm Selling!!

GLM

88thcollector
Steve, the positions offered by forum support and Mike are both valid. The emblem in question is not seen often at auction simply because those who have them in their collections are simply not going to let them go in this market or in the ebay venue... at this time. But I hasten to add there are other market forces at work here, beyond the simple collector interests. We are now beginning to see the "market creation" at work. GLM (whom stated this thread) and I shared a good many PM's about this gray of collecting last year. There are some who feel there is more pressure than ever to create a sort of blue ocean strategy in order to enhance perceived EGA values vice what are or what is relative worth of emblems. This area is still in its infancy, as is this forum. The only two publications (or reference works) on EGA's are filled with loop holes, some inconstancies and to some useless. There was word on the street a new work was forthcoming, I have heard recently the project has died.

To some extent this forum is responsible for the tulip bubble that we saw last summer as some wacko prices were paid... this thread is full of them. Nonetheless and as I suspect across the Militaria collecting arena, the prices realized is dropping in proportion to the general economy and housing prices... which is a perfect example. Allot of folks sitting in houses that are not even close in value to what they paid 5-10 years ago. And so it is with the globe & anchor, allot of hype about what is scarce (remember marketing 101... demand must exceed availability) or rare (as in one of a kind). My two cents. s/f Darrell

Hi,

I see what I consider crazy prices all of the time but that is just from my perspective as an antiques dealer and looking at it from the point of view of me finding a buyer willing to pay me a profit at that final price. The auction venue is now largely collector bidding against collector with no profit motive so prices trend toward high. (except when I am selling)

I seldom consider a price crazy if there was legitimate underbidding. The high prices on EGA's and other things are probably just two well off bidders who need the key piece. A couple of hundred dollars one way or the other doesn't matter to some folks, especially if you are planning to hold it for years. Also, there are collectors that live in areas with no shows. I am flooded with shows and opportunities to spend money but if you live in a remote areas without shows, it may well be worth paying a big ebay price rather than waiting forever to get it at a lower price.

steve

teufelhunde.ret

Hi Steve, those are all relative issues you point out. I have a antiques dealer friend down the street from my business whom I visit with often shares identical thoughts. I have come from another arena of collecting after forty years, first as a collector then as a dealer. As I suspect you have, when crossing over into the business side there are other motivations at work, which in many circumstances run contrary to what a legitimate collector interests are. Also, we arrived at a period where holding for a few years is a perilous position, especially when you overpay. And as a dealer you likely have experienced that sensation.

Its true, for many of us family, work, location or business does not provide opportunity to travel to shows. If one is a serious collector there are other venues such as internet to provide one a path to other dealers showrooms. For the budding collector we should be a source of good and informative thoughts upon which they can make informed acquisitions. And we should be willing to leave all the drama and marketing hype at the door. "Beware of false knowledge, it is more dangerous than ignorance"

Just a Rant! - The Price is the Price. Why it's that price has too many variables to consider. Willing seller/willing buyer.

How Rare is Rare? Even with a Small Corps of old, emblem producers did not make just one set per man. They tooled up & made dozens perhaps hundreds to compete in the small market that existed. When we look for them at Estate sales, in old jewlery boxes, garage sales etc. we occasionally (very occasionally in my case, I might add) find a gem!

On EBAY, they show up, and because of competitive bidding, that brings us to "The Price that is the Price."! If you want it, you bid the highest price that you're willing to pay to have it in your collection. That's the common element to snagging something. If you don't win it, the market has shifted once again.

Today, the "economy" is effecting everything we do, whether we admit or not. 10 tanks of gas for my Jeep GC will cost me anout $600 bucks. That will (maybe) get me a nice EGA just sitting on my butt at home at the computer!

The EGA BOOK???????? Where is that book? Still waiting...............................Like "Waiting for Godot"!!!!!!! Anybody heard anything from Fred B.?

Someone needs to get out some new reliable reference material on EGAs, don't ya' think?

Semper Fi........Bobgee

usmcaviator

Bob and others,

All great and valid points, I agree with all. As far as "the book" goes, I talked with Fred about two weeks ago. He was in a car accident some months ago that greatly slowed down its development. Last I heard, was that Volume 1 (up to WW1), he was "fully involved in wrapping it up". He did inform me of a Volume 3 that will be a price guide based off of his long research in photographing some of the best collections in the US, and through his years of research and archiving of tons of photographs, identifying EGAs in wear throughout the years, a basic quantitative analysis, if you will, of EGAs. This will probably help bring down the prices a bit and maybe drive prices higher on some. Hopefully, people will use it for what it will be, a guide, and not a Bible.

Mike

• 6 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

It has been awhile since last seeing someone go over-board on a EGA. This one came out of the clear blue last night: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=010

bb80_1.jpg

You are looking at the H&H "sweetheart" - these were bought by the thousands and given to the girlfriends, wifes and mothers of WW2 Marines. These were rather poorly made and featured a pinback vice the typical screwback used on the Barracks Cover. Months ago I posted two on Forum sale section @ $35. Could not give them away. This character laid out a whopping $206. for it. :wacko: The real deal goes for half, or less...!

You are looking at the H&H "sweetheart" - these were bought by the thousands and given to the girlfriends, wifes and mothers of WW2 Marines. These were rather poorly made and featured a pinback vice the typical screwback used on the Barracks Cover. Months ago I posted two on Forum sale section @ $35. Could not give them away. This character laid out a whopping $206. for it. :wacko: The real deal goes for half, or less...!

And there were three bidders above $100!

Just looking at this thread, i believe thats shill bidding at it's nastiest, HAS to be. People arent THAT stupid. The sad thing? - There was a time when Ebay really had a strict discipline on shill bidding, it just wasn't fair, right, or honest, and they always struck down on it hard. And then once it all got bought out and changed hands, and paypalised and all the new rules, they absolutely do not give a single crap in the world about it. Why? - More money in their pockets, they don't care if someones friends are upbidding a 2 dollar item for 400 dollars, because they'll take their share of the final value, then force you into paypal to take some more. They don't care at all about how wrong it is, more moolah for them. Very scummy if you ask me. Just like the same way they won't shut down these 40000 feedback 'powersellers' who get 60-80+negative feedbacks a month, why would they, they are making them money?

• 4 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Despite seller's claim "RARE RARE BEAUTIFUL OFFICER DRESS COLLARS 1912 PATTERN EGA." They are not, in fact these are mid to late 1920's H&H screwback dress emblems... They sold for $985. :blink: Not even the more desireable pinback version of this emblem sells for that.

Just goes to show what lousy pic's, wild claims and ignorant buyers result in.... :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=012

7869_1.jpg 8c1e_1.jpg

8575_1.jpg 922c_1.jpg

I think people neglected to read the description and thought the cover emblem that was depicted was included, as well

Thats kinda crapy for the seller to put extra stuff in the picture that isnt included in the auction, I really hate that. The buyers should also read the fine print which in this case was rather large.

teufelhunde.ret
Thats kinda crapy for the seller to put extra stuff in the picture that isnt included in the auction, I really hate that. The buyers should also read the fine print which in this case was rather large.

I quite agree - in a another auction the same day the seller/buyer exchanged 2k pinch.gif for this cover. Sadly the cover & collar EGA's were not from the same period... but it was sure implied.

b9f8_1.jpg d0fe_1.jpg

c9f3_1.jpg de00_1.jpg

• 3 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

Well - not record setting for a generic H&H set ($455 on ebay yesterday), but, that is a steep price for the folks putting a set of WW2 Dress Blues back together. pinch.gif

02cc_1.jpg

and these collars sold for: crying.gif $234.

untitled.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Well these pushed the envelope... $601 for these on ebay - someone really needed a set of these... this is reaaly a high price to pay for one that has been re-fitted with a pin vice screwpost. Perhaps I should list the exact set of these I bought for 125. last week w00t.gif

_BQ32j_QBGk___KGrHgoH_DIEjlLlvv6nBJ7KvGEY_____1.jpg 9dbe_1.jpg

Kurt Barickman
Well these pushed the envelope... $601 for these on ebay - someone really needed a set of these... this is reaaly a high price to pay for one that has been re-fitted with a pin vice screwpost. Perhaps I should list the exact set of these I bought for 125. last week w00t.gif

_BQ32j_QBGk___KGrHgoH_DIEjlLlvv6nBJ7KvGEY_____1.jpg 9dbe_1.jpg

I wish you would as I have been looking for a set like this for quite awhile.

Kurt Barickman

teufelhunde.ret
I wish you would as I have been looking for a set like this for quite awhile.

Kurt Barickman

Sorry to say Kurt, I too found myself in need as well... to finish these. s/f Darrell

hill__s_stuff_002.jpg

• 3 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

WOW... These pre WW1 EGA's for the service collars sold for $969 bucks last night on Ebay! The cost of putting a period uniform back together has just gone up again!

pre_ww1_service.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Elsewhere are several topics about individual pieces from this sale by Ebay seller 1sgbrett. His Ebay account currently shows 45 recently completed auctions EGA's that all sold. Someone unloaded quite a collection - any ideas where it came from?

Here are the top 20 highest priced items. representing over $12,300 in sales. Looking at these reminds me of why EGA's are perhaps the most fascinating piece of metal military insignia. In a military system where standardization has long been the rule, EGA maker's for a few decades produced some very rare and beautiful pieces of metalwork.

brett1.jpg

brett2.jpg

brett3.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Word has it... the lot of the EGA's (this and the first group from last week) were found at a gun show.... All told the combination from the two groups has brought in over 14K!!! Simply astonshing, EGA's at the upper end continue to set new prices levels... s/f Darrell

OK- I am lost here.

What is an EGA device?

Why did these USMC cap badges go for so much money?

I ask because I have a bunch of these I've picked up over the years and have no idea what is what.