WWI casualty photos

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

Last week I picked up this softcover booklet simply titled "THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH". It contains 30 WWI casualty photos of both American & German soldiers, some are very graphic. The booklet contains only the photographs, no mention as to who published it. It offers a very sobering look at the true horror of war not seen in the newspapers & magazines of the time. I have never seen the photos published in this booklet, some are marked Signal Crops USA. I was wondering if anybody here has seen this booklet or has any informtaion about it. I have refrained from posting any of the photos as I am not sure what members would think of it. Some may find it offensive to post photos of fallen American soldiers on a forum that honors them. Personally I believe history should never be censored but I will have to leave that up to the members and moderators to decide.

Rob

post-168-1273839279.jpg

I did a little research on this book at one time and lost all my info when my computer crashed!. I seen this book at a used book store and passed it up because I found it disturbing to view. I wish I had picked it up and have been looking for a copy since. And I wish I good give you more info. I believe there is another book that also deals with the same subject. Both very contraversial books at the time. If you are interested in selling please PM me. Jeff

Hi Fixbayonets!,

I have that booklet some where, but don't know what I did with it. I have so much paper work. It was an anti-war booklet an there was other ones. Another I had someplace was put out by anarchest, I think both from the thirty's by anti war in Europe, etc..

Terry

teufelhunde.ret

It was published by the US Signal Corps. Having seen a few of the pic's, you are correct, they are best left unposted.

Fixbayonets!

Thank you all for the replies. I was thinking more along the lines with Terry that it was put out by some sort of anti war organization. Although most of the photos are marked Signal Corps U.S.A. or U.S. Official, I figured the photos somehow fell into the anti war peoples hands and they went ahead and published them. The photos have captions and some of them would not be considered friendly toward the U.S. Army. One such photo shows a field full of wounded Doughboys on stretchers and the caption reads "HAVE WE FORGOTTEN THEM?".

Rob

I have had one of these for years and have had it for sale. The photo's are much too graphic to post here, especially with our younger visitors.

Thanks for asking before just posting.

guys--- you can go on the net a get more or less what you have. sometimes it is best to show just what war does and what it acomplishes----------------which is nothing!

Fixbayonets!

I kind of figured posting the photos would not go over so well on this forum and judging from the opinions so far it looks like I was right. I do however side more with Costa on this issue. I think it is important for people to see the reality of war, unless of course you have already seen it first hand. For people like me who have not it really puts this hobby of ours into perspective. This is just my opinion and it's not a pitch to justify posting the photos, I will not.

Rob

I also agree that these pictures are a testament of the brutal reality of war. I own this book, as well. It came with the multi-volume history of the Great War, which I have long since parted with. Whether or not the book is associated with the multi-volume work I mentioned, I don't know - but I had always assumed they were.