PBY comes home!

Steindaddie

Fantastic story! I love to see old birds find good homes. I can't wait to see pictures of this PBY as she undergoes restoration. Thanks for sharing, Steindaddie!

When I was a kid in high school (1978-82) there was an operational PBY at the Tri-Cities airport in Blountville, TN. She was parked on the left side of the airport, outside the hanger for Appalachian Flying Service. She was black with red stripes and had 'Les Miserables' painted on her hull just in front of the cockpit in red letters. As I recall, the side blisters were intact. I only saw her fire up and take off twice. It really brought chills to hear those engine crank and watch her take to the skies! I believe she belonged to a coal company, though I may be wrong. I hope she found a good home when they were done with her.

Sgt. Boghots

Hello Will,

I've really enjoyed following this thread, and commend you and your group for the effort. - And many congrat's to you all for the reward of your efforts :thumbsup:

Probably the highlight of the story for me was thinking about the moment you and the pilot's son shared in the cockpit of a plane that meant so much to you both.

I too love those old PBY's. My Dad became a PBY plane captain (enlisted maintainence chief) in early '43. Later on to Privateer's. - But he sure loved them too.

Is that the bird that did the fly-by's in Astoria while the USS Missouri was soaking in fresh water there, on the way to Pearl ?

Best regards,

Paul Walker

Klamath Falls, Oregon