A Dream Come True

sgtbrown

As the aircraft connoisseurs have come to this page, I should let you know that, come next September 27-30, if you ain't at Rickenbacker AFB near Columbus, OH, you ain't!!

Every five years or so, there is held "The Gathering of Mustangs". This year it will be at Rickenbacker. Ready for this gang? How about between 75 and 100 Mustangs at one airshow at one time!!! Can you imagine the fly-bys?

Still working on further information.

Be there or be square! twothumbup.gif

tom

How about between 75 and 100 Mustangs at one airshow at one time!!!

I'm amazed there are that many of them still around. Is there any other WWII warbird still around that can beat those numbers?

I'm amazed there are that many of them still around. Is there any other WWII warbird still around that can beat those numbers?

The trainers, of course - SNJ, AT6, etc. Maybe the C-47's. However, there is one "warbird" type that is actually a REAL War Bird but seldom considered as such as it isn't glamorous enough - the L-Birds. You know, the Piper Cubs, Aeroncas, etc.

German soldiers would take potshots at US planes but not L-Birds. Why? Because a Mustang could only shoot back with its machine guns or maybe a 100 pounder. A Piper Cub would shoot back by calling in a batalion of artillery! It is said that, next to the Enola Gay and Bocks Car, a Cub packed more firepower than any other WWII aircraft!

Anyhow, there are plenty of them still out there.

Tom

I'm amazed there are that many of them still around.

You may be surprised at how many old birds are still around... check out the Warbird Registry...

I'd like to be able to make the gathering in 2007, as it's within decent driving distance for a change. An added plus; the Air Force Museum isn't too far away and this would be a good 'excuse' to visit that place again...

Fade to Black...