How could any one not like this badge? - WWI 3-piece pilot wing

CliffP

That is a great badge. Just before the Duncan Campbell auction, another wing like this came up for sale. It was pinned on a very nice, if somewhat dirty, flight instructor uniform. The wing had a black fabric backing and you can see had been on the uniform for a long time by the shadow it left on the fabric.

post-1519-1273620009.jpg

That is a great badge. Just before the Duncan Campbell auction, another wing like this came up for sale. It was pinned on a very nice, if somewhat dirty, flight instructor uniform. The wing had a black fabric backing and you can see had been on the uniform for a long time by the shadow it left on the fabric.

Here is the wing, its backing, and the uniform. You can clearly see where it had sat.

The backing is interesting in that it is a black wool material that has been sewn over a very thing bakelite-type plastic form.

post-1519-1273620062.jpg

The wing. The scan really doesn't catch all the fine detail. Also, the kind of blotchy finish makes the wing look a bit funky, but that is more a factor of the lighting from the camera.

post-1519-1273620197.jpg

The detail up close is STUNNING. You can kind of get an idea from this scan of the detail and workmanship.

post-1519-1273620256.jpg

Th wing is made of 3 parts, the shield and two wings. The wing is very nicely vaulted, giving it a great 3D feel.

post-1519-1273620377.jpg

The wing in the auction is a screw back, but mine is a pin back. I suspect they made it using different methods depending on the pilot. Also, the sterling mark is in a different place, but mine also has the triangle at the end of the STERLING stamp. I have no idea what that is for, but the marks are the same in both wings.

I agree with Cliff, this is one of the nicest WWI wings I have seen. Funny thing, but IMHO, you really have to see these beauties in hand to get a full appreciation of how nice they are. It will be interesting to see what this one sells for. Duncan's auction (IIRC) had both the full size and the 1/2 wing version of this badge for sale. At the time, I thought they sold for less than they were worth. It will be interesting to see if the eBay price brings in more than the Campbell auction did?

Patrick

post-1519-1273620702.jpg

19delta-uav

Is that to say that this wing is a good one? Or a reproduction? Also if its real, whats a good average price for it? I would love to own one but know nothing about them.

Is that to say that this wing is a good one? Or a reproduction? Also if its real, whats a good average price for it? I would love to own one but know nothing about them.

I think it is 100% good. :thumbsup: Examples of this pattern wing can be seen in both of the major WWI wing books; Duncan Campbell's and Terry Morris' book (or maybe the one in the Morris book is the one from the Campbell collection--I am not sure). Initially, these were attributed to being English-made in these books, but I suspect that they were more than likely made in the US instead. At least I see nothing to say these are English made.

As I said, the wings in Duncan Campbell's collection came up for sale at (IIRC) the last Butterfield auction. My recollection was that they sold for less than I had anticipated, considering they were from Mr. Campbell's collection and were attributed to specific pilots.

P Frost

:dunno:

Who can say with any degree of certainty what a fair price would be for that badge; however, the one from Mr. Campbell's collection sold at Bonhams & Butterfields for $2,223 inclusive of Buyer's Premium.

post-4542-1273723684.jpg

• 12 years later...
  • 4 months later...

One of the most handsome and rugged designs to come of the WW1 period.

There was surprising variety available in Simmang's wing offerings.  Although they are all very scarce the most commonly encountered variation (and most popular with aviators and observers in 1918) is as seen above with three silver pieces soldered together (with or without an additional separate cloth covered backplate).  Less commonly, they are also known configured "Dallas-style" with separate pieces affixed to a felt covered backing plate with pin.  Simmang produced at least two versions of the shield (two, and three lines of stars) and affixed at least two different patterns of US:

Simmang.jpg.f94b0913bba8e49e37ce00f7d56c7780.jpg

I have encountered one example with the two-line shield trimmed somewhat smaller than normal.

Simmang badges are found with both screw back and pin back findings with neither being predominate.

These badges typically bear Simmang's sterling mark "STERLING" followed by a narrow pyramid (although they are occasionally encountered unmarked).

Charles Simmang was a San Antonio-based die maker and medallic arts manufacturer whose company did not have a retail operation.  Simmang's wares were sold through retail jewelers in the San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston areas.

Warm regards!

Chris

Here is my example, which appears to have a replacement catch.  The wing reminds me of the Navajo Bombardier wings in the three-dimensional working of the silver.  The tips on mine curve forward like the horns on a bull.

RIMG0984.JPG

RIMG0986.JPG

RIMG0990.JPG

RIMG0991.JPG