WWII Paratrooper's Drop Rope

AirMechanic

AirMechanic

Does anyone have a picture of a WWII issue paratrooper's drop rope (the kind they used to climb down if they were stuck in a tree, etc)? Was there anything special about these ropes that differentiated them from other rope of the time period (were they marked, were they a certain length/thickness)?

Does anyone have a picture of a WWII issue paratrooper's drop rope (the kind they used to climb down if they were stuck in a tree, etc)? Was there anything special about these ropes that differentiated them from other rope of the time period (were they marked, were they a certain length/thickness)?

Look on Page 56 of AMERICA'S FINEST by Gary Howard. There are photos of both the first and second patterns of rope. The first pattern was made of unbleached plaited cotton and was 3/8" in diameter and 33 feet long. It was discovered that this rope was too slippery, so the second pattern was developed. It was 5/8" in diameter and also 33 feet long. It was of a looser weave to provide a better grip.

I have a second pattern rope that will take some doing to get to. Tomorrow I will try to get it out and photo it for you.

Retired

Look on Page 56 of AMERICA'S FINEST by Gary Howard. There are photos of both the first and second patterns of rope. The first pattern was made of unbleached plaited cotton and was 3/8" in diameter and 33 feet long. It was discovered that this rope was too slippery, so the second pattern was developed. It was 5/8" in diameter and also 33 feet long. It was of a looser weave to provide a better grip.

I have a second pattern rope that will take some doing to get to. Tomorrow I will try to get it out and photo it for you.

Retired

Here is the photo of the second pattern parachutist's rope that I promised. This one is in unused condition and has never even been uncoiled.

post-264-1273709391.jpg

General Apathy
Here is one in its package........517th

Hi 517th, nice photo of a Cushman saddle under that package of old rope. :thumbsup: ;)

Cheers Lewis