USMC use of Army Field gear?

BrokenShovelDude

BrokenShovelDude

"Marines Make Do"

I was wondering how much the USMC used Army gear. (Early war aside) I know that there was some contract things like USMC marked musette bags or the use of HBT fatigues, M36 suspenders etc, but how much did they use? Was it a take what you can get type situation? For Example did they ocassionally use Army canteen covers or roughouts? I haven't quite developed a good enough eye to tell the subtle differences between Army gear and USMC gear in WWII photos.

I would put this in the field gear section, but I think the responses for this could also be good reference for the "budget reenactor". As we all know, typically Army gear is a bit more common than USMC gear. And with The Pacific coming out, USMC WWII militaria is just going to be that much more desirable.

-Ryan

The USMC used lots of Army issue field gear and clothing. They used first aid pouches, cartridge belts, pistol belts, basically everything.

Early WW2, like Guadalcanal, you will see alot of early Army HBT's (1st pat.) in use by Marines. Whatever they had in stock was issued to the Marines.

With researching, you have to have a very sharp eye for detail, as the difference between a USMC canteen cover and an Army one may not be as distinguishable to someone who does not know what they look like.

Sam