When the Family comes calling.........

Jack's Son

So their homes are burglarized and the plasma screens and laptops etc are untouched...but grandpa's medals from the back of the drawer are stolen? Yeah...right!

So their homes are burglarized and the plasma screens and laptops etc are untouched...but grandpa's medals from the back of the drawer are stolen? Yeah...right!

You got it. Nice Prince of Wales plume by the way.

W

You got it. Nice Prince of Wales plume by the way.

W

You noticed?! Thank you! ;)

When I displayed my War Correspondent collection at the MVPA convention in Portland last month, a guy had a note pad out and he was looking over the collection and asked specifically which items I were donated by family members or the original reporters themselves. I wasn't even thinking of this topic at that moment (I did that night, though) and told him that I got all the stuff "through various places" and how I got items wasn't really the point of the collection or the display. In short, "Where each item came from is none of your freaking business, man." I was thinking of it in terms of having to compete with this guy later on if he had the idea to also collect the same thing.

But yeah, later on I started thinking and now I believe he might have had something like this in mind where he would claim to be a family member to make an attempted grab at items in my collection...

Gun owners have refused to ID serial numbers on their weapons for years in publications and online for the same reason. I don't know how valid a threat that is, but I've followed suit.

JS- I understand where you are coming from. I had three almost back to back. The first two were easy and in both cases the items went back to the family who were glad to pay for the items' return.

The last one, as many know, was not to be as easy. The family entered the fray with a sense that the items were stolen ( even through they admitted they were sold at auction) from the family. I as the current owner became the scapegoat for their anger, which was compounded by the money involved. They tried a lot of avenues, including trying to drag my ne through the mud at post I was stationed and through the newspaper in what I saw as an attempt to get me to give the group back. Fortunately, I received good advice and knew I was in good standing with respect to the theft accusations. Eventually, I think the family received advice that they had no legal standing and eventually paid what I asked.

Even though things ended well- I am hesitant to post groups because when the family comes calling, one never knows the frame of mind they are entering the discussion. As always, being polite and understanding where the other person is coming from is a good place to start.

Kyle

During the past month, I have been contacted twice. I one case the family said they could not pay the cost of reimbursement. The second is still in progress, but it seems to come down to Money as well.

If it comes down to money....I have serious doubts about the necessity of reclaiming these medals for the family. Put yourself in the same situation and ask......what would it take for me to get those medals back? I think I could find the money somewhere!!

I agree, if it were my family members stuff sold a long time ago , I would pony up to get it back .

Might be a sleeper or two lurking...a crusader contacting families. We've had a few in the past, one who was playing witch hunt and snitching to the FBI about members who owned MOH's...LEGALLY owned MOH's...and a couple of medal crusaders

Might be a sleeper or two lurking...a crusader contacting families. We've had a few in the past, one who was playing witch hunt and snitching to the FBI about members who owned MOH's...LEGALLY owned MOH's...and a couple of medal crusaders

I have been the victim of a medal "do-gooder". However, it's a long story (When an entire NATION comes calling).

W

I may be way out in left field here, but unless someone shows up on your doorstep, is the option of ignoring them altogether not available?

I may be way out in left field here, but unless someone shows up on your doorstep, is the option of ignoring them altogether not available?

It certainly is: almost every "stolen" group was originally sold by a family member who - according to some other family member - was not authorized to sell it, was not supposed to sell it, sold it when they were drunk, needed drug money, etc. And they often use an extremely broad definition of family (second and third cousins, great, great grandnephew, etc) so that really they could be one of a hundred relatives with the same loose ties to the veteran.

If it's a daughter, son, or widow(er), it's one thing - be polite - but rude distant relatives who want something handed to them, well ignoring them is great advice. If you're of a mine to sell it, offer them a fair price (that usually makes them go away).

I know some may think that such advice is calloused and cold, but but we've had some rude SOB's (and DOB's) appear on this forum over the last 7 years.

I know what y'all mean, been there, done that, have the T Shirt and the empty space in my collection, but my situation was a lot more civil. I'm glad I let it go back to the family but am a lot more cautious about posting Named Groups.

John

All of the D-day paratrooper groups, WW2 pilot groups, and WW1 marine DSC groups that you guys have were stolen from my house. You can send them all back to my address.

B)

All of the D-day paratrooper groups, WW2 pilot groups, and WW1 marine DSC groups that you guys have were stolen from my house. You can send them all back to my address.

B)

Of course that was after you stole it all from me Mike. :D

I purchased a grouping to a 15th AAF P-38 pilot in February. This grouping had been on a dealer website for a while. I finally saved enough to add this to my collection (my first fighter pilot grouping).

Within a couple of days the dealer contacted me saying that the pilot's son had contacted him wanting to know who had purchased his fathers items. The dealer contacted me asking if I wanted my information given to the son (and props to the dealer for his handling of this!). Though I wanted to keep the grouping, I felt the son deserved to have his father's items (uniform, crusher, 2 medals & a photo).

After an exchange of emails and verification that the person was who he said he was, it was agreed that the son would reimburse me for the cost of the grouping & I would ship the items to him. I supplied my phone number & mailing address. Then...nothing.

It's been 5 months since the son agreed to pay for his father's items. I have had no contact from him. I had left his father's items in their shipping box, awaiting payment. In mid-August I decided that the items are now part of my collection & I unpacked them.

I feel I did all I could to reunite these items with the family. However, the offer was not intended to last forever. I will gladly be the caretaker of this grouping and honor the memory of this pilot. My experience was more along the lines of:

"When the family calls...then doesn't."

"When the family calls...then doesn't."

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on the son thinking you were going to give the stuff to him.

teufelhunde.ret

My experience was more along the lines of: "When the family calls...then doesn't."

And based on what I've seen & read here the last 7 years, is likely the case 98% of the time...

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on the son thinking you were going to give the stuff to him.

They always do...(in my limited experiance) then tend to resell it down the road in most cases.(as stated here often)

There is a local couple here.They have a 45 auto pistol and holster carried by a granfather in WW1.I showed one I have to the owner and we got to talking.The guy is thinking of giving it to his son who is currently in the Marines.I think he believes the kid can carry it???(maybe not) anyway Its a great thought and to have it stay in the family.

Sad thing is they dont know much about the vet from our conversations and this makes me wonder if the intended reciepiant is even aware of any of the vets information as well or cares.Just saying often the people intended to recieve or carry on the family history have no intrest or no clue as they are so far down the family tree their relatives are strangers to them.THey often accept the item or inheirt them only to sell them as they have no direct connection.I tried to impress on the man he may want to ask his son if it really means anything to him or if a new pistol personalized to him would mean more.

• 2 months later...

Anyone see this article yet?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/11/us/journey-purple-heart/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

I think it's relevant to the topic here. It's amazing the tone, to suggest that anyone with any medal they never perosnally didn't earn must be up to no good. Seriously, hasn't anyone outside the hobby ever heard of collecting as a basic concept?

It's amazing the tone, to suggest that anyone with any medal they never perosnally didn't earn must be up to no good. Seriously, hasn't anyone outside the hobby ever heard of collecting as a basic concept?

I am sorry but I do not see any of the "tone" that you are talking about. This appears to be a very nice article. I do not see anything having to do with slamming collectors or the hobby. I do not see anything suggesting that "any medal they never personally earned must be up to no good". I am not sure how you could read all of what you just said into that article.

...Kat

I am sorry but I do not see any of the "tone" that you are talking about. This appears to be a very nice article. I do not see anything having to do with slamming collectors or the hobby. I do not see anything suggesting that "any medal they never personally earned must be up to no good". I am not sure how you could read all of what you just said into that article.

...Kat

You didn't read far enough because the comments have this several times.

Very touching story; Hopefully the historical society displays it proudly in memory of Pfc. Merriott's service and sacrifice.

The only thing that bothers me about the story is the statement that the overturning of the SVA made it legal to buy, sell and trade the Purple Heart. The SVA has nothing to do with this. I think this is what adds to the confusion of non-collectors when it comes to our hobby, specifically medal collecting.

You didn't read far enough because the comments have this several times.

I don't ever bother to read the comments. Most responses are from idiots who don't know what they are talking about. I don't ever waste my time looking at them.

Anyone see this article yet?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/11/us/journey-purple-heart/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

I think it's relevant to the topic here. It's amazing the tone, to suggest that anyone with any medal they never perosnally didn't earn must be up to no good. Seriously, hasn't anyone outside the hobby ever heard of collecting as a basic concept?

Treasured family Purple Heart lost in a move ?