When the Family comes calling.........

Jack's Son

I probably mentioned it before in this thread, but it bears repeating: if you are nervous about naming a GI, just do it with a photo with the name in it - that cannot be picked up by the search engines.

I probably mentioned it before in this thread, but it bears repeating: if you are nervous about naming a GI, just do it with a photo with the name in it - that cannot be picked up by the search engines.

Right, but don't put the name in the filename or it might be; keep it generic like 'Photo1' or whatever and it should be fine.

RC

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lets say I acquire a grouping consisting of lets say a set of dog tags and some DI's.

The family screams theft because their grand parents house was just robbed. A service number is a service number and doesn't change unless he or she received a promotion..service members receive many dog tags throughout their enlistment. How can you prove this tag was stolen? And then how can you prove a set of DI'S actually belonged to your grandfather?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lets say I acquire a grouping consisting of lets say a set of dog tags and some DI's.

The family screams theft because their grand parents house was just robbed. A service number is a service number and doesn't change unless he or she received a promotion..service members receive many dog tags throughout their enlistment. How can you prove this tag was stolen? And then how can you prove a set of DI'S actually belonged to your grandfather?

RD,

If there is NO police report on file, there is NO theft!! People can tell you any story they want, but if they have to proof to back it up, it's just a story! :)

PS......The police report will have to be dated PRIOR to the date the items in question showed up in collectors hands!

Can't agree with this enough. I've had 3 incidents of this type of situation recently, all stemming from posting names on the forum and people claiming to be related to the soldier finding them on Google searches. I truly understand the situation and have been there before myself but where does this mentality come from that everyone is entitled to what I have bought or worked for in some way or another? Is this just society today, if I purchase something and you claim it's your by right than I'm entitled to give it to you no questions asked?

The only downside to putting the name in the image is that all it takes is someone to comment in the thread "GI X was in the same division as GI Y", and the image could (and the thread probably will) come up in a search result for that keyword.

RC

...where does this mentality come from that everyone is entitled to what I have bought or worked for in some way or another? Is this just society today, if I purchase something and you claim it's your by right than I'm entitled to give it to you no questions asked?

It's nothing new. People have always looked for ways to get something they didn't have to pay for. Some people's brains are hardwired for the scam (remember COL Potter musing on that every time Klinger came up with a new scam? "Is it in your blood, boy?" he asked once). Some people will work much harder at getting something from someone than they would earning the money to buy it correctly, because it's the idea you're getting over on someone else. You can't explain to these people that a 9-5 job in the long run will often reap better rewards for less work.

There's nothing new here, those types have always been around.

Don't forget, it's only been within the last generation or so that the layman has had a clue that 'old Army stuff' can have any collector value and therefore worth having to make money from...

• 5 months later...
Jack's Son

I was contacted by a member of the forum regarding a relative's interest in a Purple Heart that I had purchased from that member. After thinking about it for awhile, I called the relative and had a very sincere conversation with him :), and told him I would be willing to sell it back to the family, as he had requested. I also told him of the problem collectors have with family members asking to have medals returned, only to sell them again. Also, I asked him to furnish some kind of proof that he was in fact a relative as he had stated. Next I gave him a price that was over market, and asked him to think about what he wanted to do, (I priced it higher then market to see what his reaction might be.) needless to say he was very thankful, and reassured me he would be calling back soon.

That was 2 weeks ago.......guess who has not called back!! :rolleyes:

KASTAUFFER

I did sell a group back to a family member last month. He was very persistent over a long period of time and showed sincere interest in obtaining his Uncles medals back. I quoted him a price ,which was the price I paid, and he gladly bought it. Now I get regular emails from him asking my help in researching his Uncle further. They are in a good home.

Believe me, this is the exception and not the norm in these situations. 90% of the time when I quote a price even if its what I paid for an item, they disappear. When its not free or is priced higher than they expected, it suddenly is not as important to them.

Kurt

I did sell a group back to a family member last month. He was very persistent over a long period of time and showed sincere interest in obtaining his Uncles medals back. I quoted him a price ,which was the price I paid, and he gladly bought it. Now I get regular emails from him asking my help in researching his Uncle further. They are in a good home.

Believe me, this is the exception and not the norm in these situations. 90% of the time when I quote a price even if its what I paid for an item, they disappear. When its not free or is priced higher than they expected, it suddenly is not as important to them.

Kurt

That does seem to be the exception and am glad they were returned to a good home. I was contacted a couple months ago about a PH I had once posted. The relative was very polite and reasonable and I would have been happy to help him but unfortunately I had sold it to another collector and have no idea where it is now. The way the relative approaches the subject has a great deal to do with the response they would get.

• 3 months later...

The only downside to putting the name in the image is that all it takes is someone to comment in the thread "GI X was in the same division as GI Y", and the image could (and the thread probably will) come up in a search result for that keyword.

RC

.................................................................................

Very good point when you view and comment on a named group. A viewer could easily and accidentally make a post searchable.

W

.................................................................................

Very good point when you view and comment on a named group. A viewer could easily and accidentally make a post searchable.

W

I will say again that the odds of being contacted AND having someone provide proof that something was actually stolen are very slim.

I will say again that the odds of being contacted AND having someone provide proof that something was actually stolen are very slim.

This is very true. I just had my own issue, with a family member filing a police report, etc, etc. He didn't even try contacting me or anyone else directly first. Talked with the detective, gave him all the info, he traced the trail and, well...the family member is now being charged with filing a false report.

This is very true. I just had my own issue, with a family member filing a police report, etc, etc. He didn't even try contacting me or anyone else directly first. Talked with the detective, gave him all the info, he traced the trail and, well...the family member is now being charged with filing a false report.

----------------------------

Good for the police!! Damn criminals! :)

Bob

I agree that the chance of the family having and providing proof of theft are small. I think families have little knowledge as to exactly how family medals get out into the world, and assume they must have been stolen. They just can't believe another family member would sell Uncle Fred's medal.

Regards,

W

Bob

I agree that the chance of the family having and providing proof of theft are small. I think families have little knowledge as to exactly how family medals get out into the world, and assume they must have been stolen. They just can't believe another family member would sell Uncle Fred's medal.

Regards,

W

Just three minuted ago I got a call from a widow wanting to sell all her lated husbands "ribbons" that no one in the family wants. If they are named I am sure that at some point I will hear from his 3rd cousin twice removed on his mother's side.

Anyone ever think about having families that sell items sign a release that states that they are legally able to sell the items and that all future rights to the items are the sole responsibility of the buyer? I might be thinking too much...but it would legally cover anyone who had other family members knocking on the door claiming said item was "stolen".

Dave

I have a statement on my donation forms which specifically ask "Do you have the authority to donate the artifact(s) listed in Block XX?, for this very reason.

Mark sends

This subject seems to have increased in frequency...especially as of this past year.Funny how it is grandpa's old war crap until they find out it is worth something...

Also, it seems whenever a family member joins the forum to post on a group to a "relative," there is always a rude undertone of entitlement and beyond that, they always seem to move in the direction of the items being "stolen."

Just some things I have noticed from the sidelines.

Philip

Right...because 45-50 years ago, this stuff was so valuable thieves were running up to veterans in parades and doing snatch and grabs

Let's face it, half of the time when they claim it was stolen, it was so long back the stuff wasn't valuable enough to steal. Seems it's all that was ever stolen, as well, miraculously.

And it's rarely the run of the mill stuff that gets claimed stolen. When was the last time someone stumbled on a simply named Army GC and said it was stolen from their basement, etc? Hmmm...

During the past month, I have been contacted twice. I one case the family said they could not pay the cost of reimbursement. The second is still in progress, but it seems to come down to Money as well.

If it comes down to money....I have serious doubts about the necessity of reclaiming these medals for the family. Put yourself in the same situation and ask......what would it take for me to get those medals back? I think I could find the money somewhere!!

I would dig very deep to get my dad's stuff back JS, and it wasn't stolen. BTW, anyone with the footlocker of SSgt. L.E. Stevens with his Ike in it, please feel free to PM me, I will pay good for it!!!!

Is it me, or has there been an upsurge in "family inquiries" on the forum recently? :o

..........................................................................................................................

Happened to me not long ago. Named medals.

W

Is it me, or has there been an upsurge in "family inquiries" on the forum recently? :o

Exactly, this has seemed to have picked up over the past year or so...almost seems like a routine now. As I stated earlier in the thread, almost every "relative" that joins seems to have a rude attitude that is intertwined with entitlement. Bugme brings up a great point, it seems that the groups that "relatives" claim were stolen mostly have a high $$$ amount...just a coincidence?

I believe this is why people refrain from posting their "good stuff" (taking from the thread in the misc section), sometimes it is not worth dealing with a so-called "family member" to share a group or medal. I sometimes have second thoughts about posting groups to share with the forum because of that lingering sense a "relative" will come crawling out of the woodwork...

Philip