Help - 3d Marine Air Observer Section

EmeraldBat

EmeraldBat

I have a nice patch - 3rd Marine Division Air Observer Section VMO-2.

There appear to be a lot of different VMO-2 insignia out there. But I didn't find this one.

http://www.eminentpresence.com/USMC%20%20VMO%20Patches.htm

http://hma1369.tripod.com/vmo2.html

Also, it seems that most references are to Marine Observer Squadron, not section.

Any thoughts on this patch would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Joy

post-7825-1273447761.jpg

post-7825-1273447775.jpg

03PackMule

VMO-2 was an Observation Squadron that flew Bronco's, Huey's and Sea Cobras at various times during Vietnam until 69 when they became Bronco only.

The Air Observer Section could refer to Ground Officers that were detached from 3rd MAR Div to serve as Observers with VMO-2 and control supporting Arms fire. I knew a Capt was doubled winged (Jump and AO) who had done a stint in the Wing as an AO despite being an Infantry Officer.

VMO-2 was an Observation Squadron that flew Bronco's, Huey's and Sea Cobras at various times during Vietnam until 69 when they became Bronco only.

The Air Observer Section could refer to Ground Officers that were detached from 3rd MAR Div to serve as Observers with VMO-2 and control supporting Arms fire. I knew a Capt was doubled winged (Jump and AO) who had done a stint in the Wing as an AO despite being an Infantry Officer.

Of course, that is the squadron TC and Rick were in while flying Hueys inserting Magnum in the stuff! ;)

Sorry, big Magnum PI fan here....