Vietnam Gear

B.A.R.gunner

B.A.R.gunner

Saw a few collection posts and decided to throw up my vietnam collection

M69 flak vest, m2a1 ammo vest, 1967 dated pup tent, m1 helmet, m61 butt pack, m67/m56 canteens, universal ammo pouches, 1 hard cover- 2 soft cover, H suspenders, colt holster, m17 gas mask/ bag, m7 bayonet, m43 etool w/ m56 cover, 1968 poncho, m49 1967 dated sleeping bag (also have carrier but not pictured) first aid/compass pouch, rucksack bags, 77 dated bandage, and even water purification tabs i picked up. 3 m65 field jackets, 1 Xsmall, 1 med, 1 med w/liner, air force fatigue shirt, 1 longsleeve seabes shirt, 1 shortsleeve seabees shirt. shelter half dated 71.

post-11724-1273447206.jpg

B.A.R.gunner

M69 flak vest, m2a1 ammo vest, 1967 dated pup tent, m1 helmet, m61 butt pack, m67/m56 canteens, universal ammo pouches, 1 hard cover- 2 soft cover, H suspenders, colt holster, m17 gas mask/ bag, m7 bayonet, m43 etool w/ m56 cover, 1968 poncho, m49 1967 dated sleeping bag (also have carrier but not pictured) first aid/compass pouch, rucksack bags, 77 dated bandage, and even water purification tabs i picked up. 3 m65 field jackets, 1 Xsmall, 1 med, 1 med w/liner, air force fatigue shirt, 1 longsleeve seabes shirt, 1 shortsleeve seabees shirt. shelter half dated 71.

pics

post-11724-1273447238.jpg

• 1 month later...

[/quote

Nice bit of kit there.

Very nice assortment you have started here.

At the risk of repeating myself, I remember a time when NOBODY was collecting Vietnam gear.

I actually got laughed at during a show in the 1990's for picking up a full set of web gear including butt pack, shovel, canteens and all the pouches. I had the last laugh though as it went to a Vietnam Vet friend of mine who was building a museum. I am glad to see the interest is there now, but the prices sometimes astound me as they have gone up so fast.

Good luck with your collection.

At the risk of repeating myself, I remember a time when NOBODY was collecting Vietnam gear.

I actually got laughed at during a show in the 1990's for picking up a full set of web gear including butt pack, shovel, canteens and all the pouches. I had the last laugh though as it went to a Vietnam Vet friend of mine who was building a museum. I am glad to see the interest is there now, but the prices sometimes astound me as they have gone up so fast.

Sigh. Very true about the prices and how quickly they are going up, it seems like ww2 stuff is cheaper now days. -_-

But, that seems to only be ebay prices, people I know that sell to me, don't ask such crazy prices, including forum members here (even with seeing how much things sell for on ebay)

• 13 years later...

Looking for a photo of the USMC 782 web belt, like we wore in 1973-78.  The photo in B.A.R. Gunner's comment above is close, ours was, from center back to front; first aid pouch (center back), 2 canteen pouches with canteens and 1 cup (left and right sides), K-bar knife and sheath (left side), M1911 with black leather holster (right side), 2 magazine pouches for the M1911, 1 on each side in front, ours had the load bearing suspenders as well.  Looking for a clear photo to use in a book I am writing.

On 5/9/2010 at 5:51 PM, B.A.R.gunner said:

found a couple more pics

post-11724-1273447448.jpg

post-11724-1273449074.jpg

I've read before that the Tropical Rucksack was supposed to come with a compliment of wet weather bags.  Has anyone seen a set of wartime dated bags for the Tropical Ruck?  If so, are they made out of the same stinky, coated ripstop nylon as these ALICE bags?  

The earliest dates I've seen on these bags is 1974.  I have a full set with an early unissued medium ALICE pack and I always wondered if the ALICE system simply repurposed the Tropical Ruck W/W bags (if they even existed) or if the Tropical Ruck had different bags.

On 6/13/2010 at 9:49 PM, gwb123 said:

The same could be said with WWII gear.  It sold for pennies on the dollar out of massive bins; the fodder for childhood backyard adventures and family camping expeditions on the cheap.  Then, suddenly it wasn't so cheap and disposable.  

WWII was never really my interest.  Growing up in the 1980's, I never thought I'd see the end of bins full of M-1956 pouches, belts, butt packs and suspenders.  As recently as the mid-2000's, it was often derided by many WWII collectors as "modern surplus junk".  Then, suddenly it wasn't anymore.

32 minutes ago, Apache26 said:

Has anyone seen a set of wartime dated bags for the Tropical Ruck? 

I think I have one somewhere. I can check later today. 

Here is my 1969 contract dated liner size 1. This is for the smaller outside pockets. Size 2 would be for the main pouch. I've had the size 2's in the past but sold them.

Tim

20230924_181330.jpg

7 hours ago, Apache26 said:

Thanks!  It looks the same as the later ALICE liners.  Is it the same, stinky coated ripstop nylon?

Yup, still has the faint smell of vomit.

Thanks for the response!  I've had some really nice Tropical Rucks but none of them had the liners.  Now I'll have to track down a set.