WWII machete and sheath

navcic7

Got a 1944 US Disston machete with canvas sheath today at a local fleamarket. No cracks in the handle and the blade is in great shape, just very minor suface rust near the handle. The canvas sheath is stamped with the comapny name but I cannot read the first part:

_?_erkert & Melsel Trunk Co. ? 1945

Got a 1944 US Disston machete with canvas sheath today at a local fleamarket. No cracks in the handle and the blade is in great shape, just very minor suface rust near the handle. The canvas sheath is stamped with the comapny name but I cannot read the first part:

_?_erkert & Melsel Trunk Co. ? 1945

I would love to see pictures of the machete and scabbard. The manufacturer of the canvas scabbard is Herkect & Meisel Trunk Co. They have been in business since 1888 and are still going strong. Here is their website - http://www.herkertmeisel.com/

Tim

Thanks for the info. I'll try to take some photos in the next day or so. I will add that the blade looks like it was sharpened once but no nicks or chips out of the steel.

navcic7 asked me to upload photos of his 1944 Disston machete and scabbard so here they are -

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

What I particularly like about this rig is the canvas scabbard made by Herkect & Meisel Trunk Co. I had never heard of this manufacturer before. I think the scabbards and the variety of manufacturers that made them is half the fun of collecting these WWII machetes :thumbsup: .

Tim